Is it possible to lose weight without much exercise?

Options
I know a general rule is that you need to exercise to lose weight and tone. I've noticed from a lot of blogs and success post pictures that a lot of the stories I see the user goes from average clothing to wearing exercise gear in the follow up photos. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I can be successful without having to incorporate a whole lot of exercise into the equation?

Right now I work out at home with EA Sports Active. The work out I do monitors heart rate and movement. The game states I burn around 200 calories in a 30 minute period, which concludes my workout. I only have time/energy to actually do the work outs on my days off, which is usually only 2 days a week. I'm also a bit on the heavy side right now, as I am just starting my journey. 213lbs/5'2. I don't like to exercise at all and have psoriasis which tends to get worse the more often I sweat.

Is this going to be enough to see results? I have my calorie goal set at 1200 cal a day to hopefully burn 2 lbs a week. I've "tried" to diet so much on and off that I'm worried just the calorie cut plus what little I do exercise is not going to yield as high of results that I hope for. Any advice would be helpful. Has anyone else had successful results with just the calorie cut or do you HAVE to force yourself to exercise more than just the amount I'm putting in now? Also, if I do have to start more exercise about how far along should I start adding it to my routine. Should I try to lose a set amount of weight comfortably before putting my body though the push and exhaustion of working out? Thanks guys!

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yes. Diet is the major part of your success.

/endthread
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories is the biggest contributor to weight loss. Exercise is valuable of course; do what you can do so that you can enjoy the benefits. But you can lose weight without it.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    lol I think I've lost more weight without much exercising than with exercising and maybe at a faster rate?

But better body composition is achieved with exercise. So I plan to incorporate more lifting in December to help out with that.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    You'll get plenty of advice from the experts on here, but here's my two cents from a relative newbie - I've lost almost 30 pounds with very little exercise. I'm just keeping my calories at goal or a bit under. It's working only because I'm at 'the beginning of the journey'.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I'll try to elaborate a bit for ya. It will work for a while and you will lose weight. However, you may reach the point diet alone is not leading to more weight loss or you aren't losing as fast as you would like. Combining a good diet and exercise will get the best results the fastest. It's your call whether you want to or not, but to me exercising is something that takes time. You'll hate it for about the first month, then start craving it. Remember, it takes at least 21 days to form a habit. It won't happen overnight.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    P.S: You don't have to put yourself through hard workouts. Taking walks or bike rides will benefit even if you don't work up a major sweat.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    P.S: You don't have to put yourself through hard workouts. Taking walks or bike rides will benefit even if you don't work up a major sweat.
    ^^Exactly! Do what you enjoy!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You can lose without exercise. The exercise is so that you will like what you see when you've lost the weight. It's also pretty beneficial in other ways.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Exercise has lots of benefits (important ones to boot) but is not a requirement in weight loss. Weight loss is 75-100% diet. You can lose tons of weight without every stepping into a gym. You might not get the body composition or fitness results you want, but that all depends on your goals. Some people just want to be a smaller version of their current selves.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible. It doesn't work for me, personally. I ate my allotted calories the other day and went on a run. I weighed 127 the next day. I ate my allotted calories that day but didn't go for a run and I weighed 128 today. That pattern is pretty consistent. I realize that this isn't a real gain and is due to water weight etc, but even if I lose after not exercising, it's usually much less than if I did exercise, even if I ate back all my exercise calories.

This isn't the case with everyone, though, and it may have to do with the fact that I only have another 5-ish pounds to lose. Many people can just cut calories and lose weight. I say see what works for you! The types of food you eat are important, too!
  • dhanisk
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise. However, exercise makes the weight loss more achievable and more sustainable.

I, personally, need exercise to lose weight at the 1 pound per week rate. Doing exercise enables me to to eat as much as I want, which is more than what MFP recommends. If I just follow the MFP guideline and do not exercise, I will always be hungry, and thus, will not be able to follow MFP for long :-)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Lose weight? Sure. Get fit? No, at least not in my opinion.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    40 lbs off here without any real exercise...
  • hatsdown
    Options
    They say "abs are made in the kitchen".... so good luck....
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight! But with 1200 calories a day and that small amount of exercise, you will probably plateau. When that happens, try tweaking your diet and upping the intensity of your exercise. Like instead of 1200 calories and walking an hour a week, up to 1400 and try the elliptical for an hour a week. Make sure you eat at regular intervals to help boost your metabolism. Good luck! :wink:
  • miss4sure
    miss4sure Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to keep moving. Whatever you find is fun and will get your heart rate up. Start with 10mins, then work your way up. I can tell you that I have been dieting all my life, and exercise does matter when you do it in conjunction with healthy dieting. I exercise at least 4 times a week... at first I had to drag myself to do it, but now the days I don't exercise I feel weird and kind of miss it. I love the beachbody series and hope to work myself up to doing INSANITY one day... and will even dare P90X :wink: Good luck to you on your journey!
  • kimmy_1432
    kimmy_1432 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know this is a long journey ahead of me, do I expect it to be easy? No. Since I've never had much luck before with my weight, hopefully when I see a change I'll start adapting to a more "I can do this" attitude. I don't want to just be a couch potato and set around inside all day but cut calories to lose weight. I am active, I'm just not super active in my opinion. I hope once I lose some of the weight I can start to feel good about the exercise part. Right now, honestly, I'm just to embarrassed to even go into a gym and attempt a workout.
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    You don't have to do everything at once. If getting your diet under control is your challenge right now, focus on that.
  • shakespearessister
    Options
    I've lost 52 pounds by diet alone in the last 7 months(and I'm at a healthy bmi). The first 6 weeks, I was under activity restriction because I had just given birth, then with 4 children 5 and under and a husband who is away 14 hours per day, exercise isn't happening for me right now.

That being said, exercise is important for so much more than weight loss. Also, I think it does make it easier to stick to your calories when you earn extra by exercising (leaves room for treats so you don't feel deprived). I do try to do extra walking when I'm out and about (pushing the stroller do all my errands rather than driving, etc), but I don't have structured exercise routines. I know to tone up some of my flab, I'll have to exercise, and I want to be strong and flexible as I age, but it's going to have to wait till my babies are a little older.

So yes, you can lose weight, but to really be healthy, we do need exercise.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Diet alone should be responsible for most of your deficit. So yes, reducing body fat without exercise is possible. Exercise really matters when you are concerned about maintaining body weight and improving body composition, however. People who exercise during maintenance have a much higher chance of preventing a relapse in obesity.