Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is it ok to go below 1200 net calories?

I'm going over on fat and carbs.
I want to get some more excercise in, but how do I balance everything?
What is the bare minimum I can do on net calories?
Thanks.

(Oh, and please spare any condescending lectures.)

Replies

• victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Personally, if you're intentionally going under, or you go under more than "once in a blue moon"...you're more than likely going to screw something up.

Not everything will be balanced every day. Even on the healthiest diets I've seen on here, they went over on at least one of their numbers every day. Now, it could just be the journals I've looked at...but I don't see how everything can be balanced 24/7, unless you plan your meals in a week advance or something to that affect.

ETA: My advice is doing that, btw -- planning your meals ahead to get everything balanced.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Under 1,200 calories is totally doable but it's rough. I would say you should make sure you eat back any calories you burn exercising for sure...

Make sure there are at least 80g of protein in there for sure so your muscle has what it needs.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    I don't actually know. I've seen like 15 different opinions on here in the last 2 days. I know that how much you are supposed to eat has something to do with basal metabolic rate and something called TDEE and I just spent an hour or so writing down equations trying to figure out how much I needed to eat and what to set my macros at... (Math was my worst subject in school. I signed up to diet and exercise, not do algebra!)

There does seem to be a consensus that you need to get enough protein everyday. So, since you are a vegetarian, you probably need to get lots of peanut butter, tofu, quinoa, and beans. It might be harder for you to get all of your protein without going over on carbs and fats, but there are a lot of healthy vegetarians so it must not be impossible.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Under 1,200 calories is totally doable but it's rough. I would say you should make sure you eat back any calories you burn exercising for sure...

Make sure there are at least 80g of protein in there for sure so your muscle has what it needs.

I had 103 grams of protein.
    I ate 1,481 calories
    -(minus) aprox 200 (breast feeding)
    I only have 992 net calories.

I`m at
    58 grams fat
    138 carbs

I'm over on fat today. I'm trying to keep my carbs down.
  • crunchybubblez
    I don't actually know. I've seen like 15 different opinions on here in the last 2 days. I know that how much you are supposed to eat has something to do with basal metabolic rate and something called TDEE and I just spent an hour or so writing down equations trying to figure out how much I needed to eat and what to set my macros at... (Math was my worst subject in school. I signed up to diet and exercise, not do algebra!)

There does seem to be a consensus that you need to get enough protein everyday. So, since you are a vegetarian, you probably need to get lots of peanut butter, tofu, quinoa, and beans. It might be harder for you to get all of your protein without going over on carbs and fats, but there are a lot of healthy vegetarians so it must not be impossible.

Actually it's not too hard to get protein on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
    tofu, any beans especially soy, quinoa, couscous, Kale, and other vegetables.
    Veggie meats have a decent amount of protein as well.
  • I wouldn't recommend it due to the long term effects.

Check this if you're confused about calorie and macro goals:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!
  • crunchybubblez
    I wouldn't recommend it due to the long term effects.

Check this if you're confused about calorie and macro goals:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!

Thanks!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    When your milk starts going away because your body needs to fuel itself, you're not eating enough.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Your baby needs the vitamins so eat more.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member

Well, I learn something new everyday. I've thought about going vegetarian after I watched Forks Over Knives, but I like meat too much.
  • I have no science to back this up but I think it would be okay to go (a little) under 1200 and still be okay.

However, I would NOT recommend doing this while breastfeeding. If your body does not have enough nutrition it will start leeching the calcium and other things from your bones to produce milk.

I don't know about you but I always felt like I was starving when I was nursing all 4 of my kids. I can't imagine doing 1000 calories a day and feeding them. I did try to fill myself with a lot of veggies and not eat too much rice and breads and was able to lose weight that way.

Good luck with everything!
  • crunchybubblez

Well, I learn something new everyday. I've thought about going vegetarian after I watched Forks Over Knives, but I like meat too much.

I thought the same until I saw Food Inc.
    The Veggie meats are actually pretty good.
    My kids and husband love Veggie nuggets, hot dogs, corn dogs, etc.
    When we do want real meat I buy organic, free range/grass fed meat.
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Try to net at least your bmr. Dont intentionally go below 1200
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    apologies if i am missing something, but why not just eat more if you want to do more exercise?

then you are getting all of the nutrients your body needs, and if you dont have too great a deficit your body will be burning fat (yay!) and not too much muscle (boo!)

i dont know why anyone would want to deliberately put themselves in a situation where their body will burn muscle?
  • crunchybubblez
    apologies if i am missing something, but why not just eat more if you want to do more exercise?

then you are getting all of the nutrients your body needs, and if you dont have too great a deficit your body will be burning fat (yay!) and not too much muscle (boo!)

i dont know why anyone would want to deliberately put themselves in a situation where their body will burn muscle?

This ^ is exactly the advice I did not want.
    I ate well over 1200cals.
    My question was should I stay over 1200net, because I wasn't sure.
    I didn't say I wanted to stay under 1200.
    I said I want to get more exercise in, but I don't know how to keep my calories up without going way over on
    my "macros".
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Eat more protein? Honestly, from my point of view, going over you macros is so much better than having a net of 1200.
    Figure out you tdee and bmr. Then do a 15% on you tdee. Eat that amount everyday including the days when you aren't exercising/active.
    On the days that you do exercise, try to net at least your bmr.
  • I would be cautious about going too low with your net calorie intake. I'm a nutrition student (waiting for my results for my final exams to see if I have my nutrition degree) and everything I have read and been taught so far is that to lose weight successfully you do need to eat and take it slowly. If you cut down your calorie intake too much you may lose weight but your health is likely to suffer. Also, most people who cut down their calorie intake heaps cannot stick to it and end up gaining more weight than they lost.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Personally, I would go over on your macros than under on calories. Greek yogurt (ie. Fage 0%) and fish are high in protein but low in fat and carbs.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    (Oh, and please spare any condescending lectures.)
    This comment tells me that you have read up on the damage your are doing to your body at such low calories, so not sure why you are asking.

You should never go below 1200 net calories, nevermind remain AT this level for too long unless you are really short (less than 5'3).
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    I would continue to work out and eat more. It took me a while to figure out, but the more exercise you do (and enter into MFP) the numbers for your macros go up, so you have more wiggle room and can still be under or around 1200 calories.