WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Greetings!!!
    Lost another LB! Can't believe it as I haven't exercised lately. I'll take it though! Been drinking TONS of water!

Speaking of drinking, just to clarify about the alcohol/ wine thing. According to the news clip that I saw, it was the ALCOHOL in the drink that made the difference. It would also work with other drinks like light beer or a shot of any alcohol once or twice a day. It is common knowledge, though, that red wine is the best choice, but they clearly said it was the alcohol, not just the wine, that made the difference.

Have a great day!!!!
    BirdieM:heart:

Well here I am again, with both hands available, since Pepper relocated to the ottoman.

Congrats Birdie--

BTW, you didn't mention it, but that news story said this research was done by Harvard Medical, so it must be correct, right? Pardon me while I pop a cork!!:bigsmile:

Kathy--

Happy Birthday!! :drinker: :drinker: I might have said it already, but better to say it twice than not at all.

Barbiecat--

Sounds like things are settling down to a dull roar at your house. It figures those kitties would head for the backyard once they knew they were safely home. I bet they will make your bed their next stop!! And Brandy and Sasha too, so you may have a bad attack of "the bed hogs":laugh:

Well, I didn't see my own doctor today, as she doesn't work on Wednesdays, but I did see another female doctor--very nice lady--very nice PREGNANT lady, who, it turns out is about due to deliver her first, a son. I didn't not envy her walking around with all that baby in front of her. According to her, it is not strep (my illness, that is, not her baby!!), which is what I figured, just a typical virus, and I have to continue treating the symptoms. She cleared me to go back to work on Thursday, so we will see what my throat has to say about it in the morning.

Well, this weight loss thing must be paying dividends. I stopped at Walmart on the way home from the doctor to buy some bananas, and about 15 minutes after I arrived and had picked up what I needed from the grocery department, I heard a sound like someone was beating on the tin roof as though it were a drum. Someone walked past and said they just came inside and it was HAILING, bigtime:huh: . This was pretty amazing, given that the sun was shining when I walked in the store, and I didn't see any ominous clouds. :noway: The downpour lasted a good ten minutes, so I decided I needed to kill a little time before I left or else I was going to get wet. Unfortunately, I found all kinds of things in my size in the workout gear department, so I picked up a set of Danskin workout wear, in size 12/14 I am happy to report, and a couple of tops. NOTHING from the plus size department for me!!

Here is where the "dividends" I mentioned come in. There I was and I was being CHECKED OUT out by the nicest looking guy--asked me how I was doing, smiled, --("Gee this weight loss thing is working out," I thought, "That guy can't be a day over 30.") ...And then he said "Thank you for shopping at Walmart!!":huh: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HA HA --Gotcha!!!:blushing:

I couldn't resist, guys. You have to cut me some slack. After all, I was already a little dingy before getting hit in the head. Now, I have an EXCUSE for lousy jokes!!! Oh, and by the way, guess what I forgot to buy--bananas, of course!!!

Barb
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    For all you guys who do well all day and then eat too much at night, I found that eating more during the day helps with that. I try to eat 50% of my calories by the time I'm done with lunch. On days that I succeed, I'm not that hungry at night.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, All, I am amazed at some of the fantastic progress so many of you on this board have had...it is very inspiring! I hope some of this will rub off on those of us who are just jumping into this.

I haven't been able to weigh in since I got out to MT on Sunday but I have written everything down and have done pretty well. Glad to hear that red wine is a GOOD thing for dieting since I have had a bit of that almost every night this week. It is a tricky thing as it DOES make me hungrier. I am trying to have a glass with dinner and not before...that is DANGERous for me. All of a sudden I need some cheese, nuts or some other snack along with the wine.

Spent the day with husband on the ski slopes. Thankfully we are getting some more snow now. It softens the blow when you fall!!!

Have a good night everyone!
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello All,

I had a good day with food and exercise and am getting ready for the big trip with my daughters.

SuzyQ I am so glad your brother is doing better. I am sure it is just water weight since eating out seems to contain more salt than when we prepare our own food.

Birdie M way to go keep up the great work.

Too everyone else keep up the hard work.

Lynn
  • Texemgirl
    Texemgirl Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi, Everyone! :smile:

Fun afternoon with my girlfriend ... mainly talking. We went grocery shopping ... on our way back to my place, she all of a sudden swings into McDonald's for an early dinner (we were both hungry) ... she was treating us both to a Big Mac Value Meal (it's on special on Wednesdays for $2.89). This was a surprise to me! She placed her order and then came to place mine (no lettuce, no sauce) and out of nowhere I said, "No, I don't want it. I'm having fish for dinner ... I'd rather accomplish my goal than have instant gratification." I mean geez, girls ... I didn't know I was thinking it at the time! I know I was feeling guilty and was rather hesitant, but I was just going to eat just a little bit. I've been repeating "I'd rather accomplish my goal than have instant gratification" over and over and over to myself for a while now (I've even been saying it aloud in front of the mirror), and today it really worked! I'm pretty happy with myself! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

ZaZa, good job of getting out there and walking! :drinker:

Happy Belated Birthday, Terri! :flowerforyou: Congrats on losing .4 lbs! You must have done really well the rest of the week! :happy:

Texaslady1, welcome! Sorry about your previous history of dieting. :grumble: It's going to be different this time ... I KNOW you can lose and maintain this time! Just hang in there. We are all here to help. Maybe limiting the alcohol to one day week would be a good idea! LOL! :drinker:

Barb, I love your stories! I think I might need to visit that forum! :laugh: I've heard the same thing about a colonoscopy. I tried the stuff you drink the day before from when my mom had hers. YUCK! :noway: I couldn't keep it down. I've been told there is something else for people who are like me, but I don't know what it is. Somehow I was too afraid to ask! LOL! :laugh:

Thanks, Lynn! The 140s sounds good to me! :bigsmile: I'm only 5'3". Actually, if I was firm, I think I would have been happy with 140. Oh, I used to LOOOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: margaritas! Maybe I could dream about drinking one! LOL!

GREAT job, Denise! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: You did really well yesterday in facing your challenges! :bigsmile:

Suezzzyque, I am so happy about your brother! What a blessing he is virtually cancer free!!! Congrats on losing inches! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I'd much rather lose inches than pounds. I know it's hard, but try to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

Welcome home, Barbie! I'm sure your cats missed you ... they just don't always show it. :cry: My cats on the other hand won't STOP showing me! I have 2 cats who always think my lap is the best pillow in the place! :grumble: Don't get me wrong ... I love them, but sometimes you just want to have an empty lap! :laugh: When I get back from being gone (even if it is to take the trash out), they are waiting at the door for me. A few people have told me that they sit at the door and cry when I leave. Have to say they do warm my heart. :heart:

Congrats, BirdieM!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Love to hear when people have success! Thanks for clarifying about the alcohol/wine. Wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it's good to know. :wink:

Oh, I have to get off the computer now. :angry: Will get caught up more later.

Karen :flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just a quick post to say hello. I miss reading the posts every morning as they start the day off right. Things just keep getting more and more hectic. Hubby got selected for jury duty.

Besides many of us being dog lovers I do believe there is a lot of the faithful in this group so please keep us in your prayers for the next 2 weeks.

I hope everyone is doing well and my prayers go to those struggling and hugs to all who need one.

Jeannie
  • texaslady1
    texaslady1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbiecat, I enjoy our posts. I just got on the site two days ago. Still learning how to navigate and do things.
  • constancemwj
    Options
    Hi everyone,,,
    life's been crazy busy,,,so just a quick post,,, and no time to read tonight :cry: sorry,,,,,,
    Weight in yesterday went ok,,, the scale showed no loss but the tape mesure showed one inch loss so can't be to sad......I've started strenght training a couple times a week this month....I think that could account for the no loss..... I also read an artical about sleep depervation,, and decided I'm very sleep deprived. So new goal for the rest of this month...... 7+ hours a sleep each night.... I'm such a night owl so this isn't going to easy.... but I'm starting to see the importance of changing old habits......:laugh:
    so I got to get to bed quick...
    hope everyones doing great,,, have a good one tomorrow,, I'll try to start earlier so I can catch up on post,,,
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hi Everybody, The pile of papers on the table is smaller now and not such a big mess thanks to several hours of concentrated effort. I'll so the same thing tomorrow afternoon before going to the dog park and maybe I'll get to the bottom by Sunday.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Barb, you've mentioned to a couple of the women on this thread that you might be able to plan a rendezvous when they come to Portland or when you head north on I-5. I got a vision of Barb's super vacation visiting all the women on the thread, just like the people who plan a vacation to visit all the baseball parks in the major leagues.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Constance, I'm with you about trying to get more sleep......I'm a night owl and an early bird.

:flowerforyou: texaslady, this weight loss journey is the hardest at the beginning.....my first week I spent a lot of time watching the clock waiting for my next meal......the longer I stay away from sugar, white flour, and alcohol, the easier it is for me. It takes time.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Karen, congratulations on saying no to food that was offered to you,,,,,that is a major accomplishment. One of the best decisions I made for myself was to stick to my food plan. no matter what.

:flowerforyou: Lynn, I love your new picture.

:flowerforyou: Viv, welcome to the greatest thread of all.......these women changed my life.....they have encouraged me and given me great ideas

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I'll be thinking of you and your daughter on your trip to Vail.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: I'm doing better at getting to bed, if I get off the computer right now.
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Lynn--

I am with you. Bring on the Margaritas, but alas, only in my dreams. I do make a pretend Margarita. The tequila is real, but I use Minutemaid light lemonade as the mixer. It has a similar flavor. I don't put salt in my Margarita.

Suzy--

Glad to hear your brother is improving. I am sure you don't care if his hair grew back purple at this point. It is just indescribably good to have him getting stronger.

Good luck with your exercise. Sounds like scheduling is a challenge at your house.

Alice--

What a cute "birthday turtle."

Cindy--

Loved your story about the prickly gumballs. That must have felt like sitting on a porcupine!!!

Laura--

Glad you enjoyed the "IPOD story." Is Peanut behaving himself?

Jackie--

We apparently posted over the top of each other when I did my last message, so I didn't see your post explaining the tag line. Now that I have have all the nomenclature in mind, as I expected, it IS FUNNY--so keep posting.:bigsmile: At least if you have to explain your jokes, it is due to a cultural divide. In my case, sometimes they seem to be funny only to me!!!:huh: :laugh:

Viv/AKA wizzywig--

Welcome to the group. We seem to be getting bigger every day. You are the second UK person I can think of on this thread--Jackie being the other (no I am NOT going to AKA THAT screen name. I can't be up all night trying to spell it right!!:laugh: In my mind, I say the screen name as "mydinasaur"--which I know is NOT how it is spelled.)

McMadame--

I have found the same to be true for me. It is good to remind us of this regularly, as it is easy to get off track and get away from eating enough in the morning. I find it easier if I plan out my food the night before, along with my exercise calories.

Kackie--

Better to have the SNOW as padding, than something you are trying to get rid of--you know, "flab."

Karen/AKA Texemgirl--

Way to go on kicking that Big Mac (NO) value meal to the curb. Sometimes a "gift" is better off refused. I bet your fish tasted even better at dinner.

Oh, BTW, I know ALL about laps that are never empty. Every time I sit down to use my laptop, I have two other "laptops" vying for my attention. Sometimes I would like to run away from home!!!:noway: Not really, but they definitely keep mama on a short leash!!:heart::heart:

Jeannie--

I will place you and yours on my list of those who need praying after. Hope whatever is going on improves.

Constance--

Another incentive for you to increase your sleepy-time is there is research that shows people who don't get enough sleep are more likely to be overweight. I can't remember the details, but as I recall, they made some connection between lack of sleep and a larger appetite. So "sweet dreams" unless, of course, that sentiment leaves you dreaming of chocolate!!:laugh:

Speaking of chocolate, did you hear what they did up in Canada. They made a life size replica of the STANLEY CUP, out of CHOCOLATE.:huh: :noway: It was done by Hershey of Canada to honor their new status as the "official chocolate" of the NHL, if I understood the news story correctly. There was no mention of what was going to be done with the cup, but I would be happy to "help" dispose of it. Anyone else want to help??:laugh: :laugh:

Barbie--

Since part of that "trip" involves possibly dropping in on you--a possibility we have previously discussed-- maybe we should try to figure out how you could become involved in this "meeting of great minds."

Depending upon what happens when I go back to work, my trip may end up shortened or scotched all together until later, like May, perhaps. I don't have a lot of accumulated paid time off because of being off work at the beginning of January, and then having to take time off after my head injury. Since I took two days off this week that I didn't plan on, I am afraid I won't have enough time accumulated in April to do what I planned, so unless I can get an exception granted by our department manager, I may not be going anywhere for a while.

Well, earlier today, I posted about shopping for bananas and buying everything but bananas. Well, I didn't expect that I would be back in a store before the day was over.

My PLAN: Take the doggies out this afternoon, come home to a nice hot tub, climb into my pj's early and get to bed by 9p--yeah, right.

What actually HAPPENED: While I was walking the doggies, my mom called to tell me that as a result of following my suggestion to call the advice nurse at her health plan, she ended up going to the doctor today (my dad took her) to get some better pain medication for the muscle she pulled in her hip. It was doing better until she zigged when she should have zagged in the kitchen yesterday. So as a result of this unplanned trip, my dad was now concerned that his car needed gas before this weekend, when I was planning on filling it. Washington is a self serve gas state, and it is too difficult for my dad to manage the gas pumping in the cold, so I usually take care of it for him.

Well, as long as I am going over there to get the car, I suggested if my mom needed anything from the store, she should let me know. Next thing I know I am doing her shopping for the week, as I figured she would not feel much like hobbling around the grocery store on Friday. So anyway, between that, and another errand for my dad, and bringing the food back to the apartment, including a rotisserie chicken and some salad so I could put dinner on the table and keep her from doing it, and then taking the car to get filled up, by the time I returned from the fill up, cleared the dinner dishes and cleaned up the kitchen, it was after 8p when I got home. So much for going to bed early.

I actually didn't miss my own dinner. That chicken was lucky it was wrapped too well for me to attack it on the way back to their house--smelled wonderful. The Jo Jo potatoes that my dad requested were not so lucky--had to nibble on a few of them to get me home. Then I had some chicken and a little salad, and that became dinner. I had enough calories left for a snack of Kashi cereal with chocolate protein drink and a "chaser" of four fresh strawberries. Still came in under calories for the day.

On that happy note, I will say "good night." Mercifully, I don't have to be at work until 1p on Thursday.

Oh BTW-- I DID get my bananas!!!!

Barb
  • smelliott
    smelliott Posts: 120
    Options
    Good Morning everyone,

Pleased to report I had another good day yesterday, keeping within my calories and running as planned. Today I'm going to try and drink all my water. I never do as I don't really like water and would never normally drink it butI have started the last few days but still not made my target. Today has to be the day :smile:
    Have a good day everyone.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I woke up at 4 this morning. So I just got up. I am reading a Nora Roberts book "Black Hills". I've got to finish it up so I can get to the part where they get the bad guy. I had a nightmare last night. Getting chased, waking myself up yelling a pitiful help. I'll have to decide about reading any more of her books, my daughter says I have too vivid an imagination. She screens movies for me and tells me if I can see them or not.

Denise; Try plain seltzer water for a change up in drinking water. I love it for the refreshing bubbles. You can get store brand 2 liter bottles for less than $1. It gives me my carbonation fix without the sodium.

I hope everyone has a good day and makes good choices!

Cindy
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello. Between my wrist, which is healing slowly, and having my son home from college, I don't get a chance to read or write on here too much. Now that my DH is back on mfp and we are constantly logging each other in and out, I'll never get a chance to post here. :ohwell: We both have a lot of work to do on ourselves, etc. I'll end here, but I am thinking of you and enjoy reading when I can - even if I don't write.
    Quick question - anyone ever hear from Esther? I think she started this thread originally over a year ago.
    Zaza
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Oh i have been so out of control the last few days. I did so well last week and this week i do not know who this person is. I will just have to do better. Today is my baby's 22nd birthday. It is also the anniversary of my mother's death. 9 years. she died on my son's 13th birthday. Have a good day ladies. i will try to be good and get back on track.
    Vicki M
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you Vicki on this bittersweet day.:flowerforyou:
    By the way, that's an impressive ticker - 50 pounds lost!!!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!:flowerforyou:

I don't have as much time to post--I decided that I'm spending too much time here and need to cut down so I can get other things acomplished.:grumble:

Now that I'm working again I am getting more supplies for the jewelry I make and need to start on that again!:happy:

I do read the posts every morning with my coffee but I'm afraid I just can't remember what's going on with everyone!:noway:

I do want to thank you all for the birthday wishes! I think I did well but tomorrow's weigh in will tell the truth!

I've been saying a quick prayer as I read for any who need it--isn't that all of us? :smile:

It's VERY windy here, so I'm going to get my exercise done and get to work. Hopefully, I'll be able to stop the new employees from picking up the trees that have blown over! (It's better to move them out of the way and just leave them on the ground when it is like this! Less chance of them breaking!)

Have a wonderful day, all!:heart:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone .... quick post to say again ... I've read all your posts and feel really bad at not replying individually! I really just don't know where to begin!! It is so nice to know that you all have such great support for everyone else on here .... whether losers or not!!

Talking of which....the red wine must have done the trick!!:bigsmile: I was 1lb lighter this morning and as I intend to be good for today I should ...should!!!... be starting the weekend better than last weekend!
    But....:frown: I don't see me going to work tomorrow, so no cleaning calories there. I had to cut short my cleaning today as my right arm, shoulder went into a sort of spasm - as I was leaning over the bath. Just about drove home but once I'd taken some painkillers and rubbed the magic Ibuleve on it's eased a bit . I know you were talking about crock pots but I didn't think you meant me!!:sad: I feel like an old crock today!! Zaza ... I feel for you and your wrist ... I think I'm coming out in sympathy!! Can't pick up the tea DH has made for me! :noway: Definitely won't be trying the Jive DVD mk2 that has arrived today.

Cindy .. if I'd have known you were awake at 4am I'd have given you a call ... except your 4am isn't the same as mine!!
    i couldn't sleep , :grumble: Mum was up 1.30,3.30, 5, and 7. Noises kept me awake too. The heating keeps gurgling as air is vented - following the radiator repair last week. Then ... in the sleepy distance I heard a whirring noise ...twice! at 5am. Doesn't it really annoy you when you don't know what things are? Have finally found out it was mums hairdryer!! It has just done it again!! all on it's own!! She must have tried to use it and not had the strength to switch it off properly - giving it a life of it's own! We've unplugged it totally now!

Am going now ... DH has cooked tea and as I'm not working tomorrow I feel my holiday has started ...almost..
    And ....:glasses: .For all those that can't resist chocolate I found this little gem!

Chocolate is derived from cocoa beans.
    Beans = vegetable.
    Sugar is derived from either sugar cane or sugar beets. Both of them are plants, in the vegetable category.
    Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.
    To go one step further, chocolate bars also contain milk, which contains calcium.
    So, chocolate bars are a health food.
    Chocolate-covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.

Send this to four people and you will lose 2 pounds.

Send this to all the people you know (or ever knew), and you will lose 10 pounds.

If you delete this message, you will gain 10 pounds immediately.

:bigsmile: That's why I had to pass this on - - - I didn't want to risk it. !!

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Thursday to All!

Jackie - I loved the joke :laugh: ( last May Gerald and I spent 18 days in the UK and even watched some TV...so I laughed at your joke).

Viv - Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Birdie M- Congrats on that LB:drinker:

Barb - Glad that it's just a virius that has to run it's course and not something serious. Loved your "gotcha":wink: about the young man...and was he still there when you returned to shop for your parents? Glad you finally remembered the bananas. Thank you for the invite to get together when we head west next week, but it looks like the farthest north we will be this time is Albany, :grumble: where Gerald's Brother, Sister and Mother live and we only plan on being there about a day and a half. But I know I will be coming back again and will be flying into Portland and maybe next time we can meet.:happy:

Jeannie - you are added to the prayer list, hope all is okay.:ohwell:

Cindy - Reading Nora Roberts, I really enjoy:tongue: her books, haven't read "Black Hills" yet, maybe I'll take that one with me on the trip next week.

Vicki M - sorry about the bittersweet day, but give your son an extra Happy Birthday from those of us that support you!:flowerforyou:

Well Peanut is being good for the time being, he keeps trying to sneak :grumble: into the Bosses office, but he's put up everything that might interest him...yep I guess I'll need to stop at one of those Girl Scout tables and buy him some more cookies...I've been walking waaayyyy around them as they have a tendency to call my name...then apply themselves to my hips!:angry:

Yesterday Mom called in the middle of the day to tell me that her Physical Therapist was mad at her and was going to try and "Kick her out". I figure what it really is ...she's not cooperating and doing the Therapy and he's getting very frustrated.:huh: The rehab place has a conference call going this afternoon and I'll be on it so I guess I will see what the "true" verdict is.

When we got home from work yesterday the replacement board for our new ellipical arrived, :bigsmile: thank goodness when we installed it it worked. Nothing like spending all that money on a new piece of equipment and not have it work...now I'm able to see the time, my calories burned, my heart rate:happy: ...hey maybe I'll be able to see some scale movement too! I can hope.

Everyone have a good day....Go...Fight...and beat off those pounds!:drinker:

Laura
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Barb(aka: weaklink?) Unfortunately, I also have the padding...which is why I am here...to try to get rid of some, but it still hurts to fall on all of that padding after flying through the air on skis! You are kind to comment on so many people's posts & hope that you have a nice day.

Off again with amicable spouse on a beautiful, blue sky day to ski down the mountain, try not to fall and enjoy being outside!

Here's to making good choices today! Kackie:drinker:
  • LifeAfter50
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm new to this post and to this website... My name is Debbie and I would like to join your group I have read several of your post on here this morning and I love how you all are so upbeat to everyone... How do I mark this page so I can get back here??? to get here I just searched for 50's.... is there some way I can tag this link so I can just log into this message board every time and not have to go through the search....???? Help!

My goal for March is to drink 8 glasses of water every day!!! It's small but it's a start.... I have never drank water... I drink cokes and tea....So for me this will be a very good start....

Thanks in advance for any and all help and tips..... I think I'm going to love this site...

Debbie
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: