Would you chip your kids?

Options

Replies

• tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    In my county, the Sherriff's office has a program to provide ankle bracelets for special needs kids upon request; very popular program.
    This I would do, chips no, it is a foreign item that is implanted. I am interested in the ankle bracelet, not for my daughter, but my grandfather that has very advanced alzheimers and could be on his own street and not know where he is.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In my county, the Sherriff's office has a program to provide ankle bracelets for special needs kids upon request; very popular program.
    This I would do, chips no, it is a foreign item that is implanted. The an interested in the ankle bracelet, not for my daughter, but my grandfather that has very advanced alzheimer and could be on his own street and not know where he is.

Agreed. And only in the case of a child with special needs that would up the possibility of wandering off.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I really hate to say this but harm to children is much more likely to come at the hands of someone they know than from a kidnapping. I can't even begin to tell you how much sexual abuse I hear about...often from people they knew (family member, coach, neighbor, pastor, etc). Sad but true.
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    No,never.
    Chipping started from objects then animals to end up to us. But I am not an object. I wouldn't like to be marked since I don't want anyone to spot me or my kids.

I am against that,i don't like the idea of people with chips. We're not dogs or a chocolate bar.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Were you chipped? Would you want to be chipped??

In answer to the OP question NO
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    They have watches & bracelets now for kids....less invasive I think haha

I will totally have a family tracker on my daughter's phone once she's old enough to have one....

I would do that, I wouldn't implant one into her body though.

Wouldn't do that either. I'd like to be able to say, "No officer. I don't know where she was on July 17th at 11:37 PM." And mean it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I mean in the same way that we chip our pets, but with the possibility of GPS...would you do it on your own kids?

I would in a heart beat, even if that makes me sound like paranoid mum, and only to be used in extreme circumstances (though the potential for abuse of this is all over it of course) and I would be happy for them to remove it at 18...

What are your opinions?

I don't chip my pets. I sure as hell wouldn't do that to my kids!
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt.

For those that are talking about the end of personal freedom...That's already gone with Cell Phones....and that's not including cars and home security systems that you can connect to from your computer at work.

Seriously...how many people do you think are going to see their kids making out with their GF/BF in the damn care you loaned them to go to Prom or when you trust them for the weekend...and on your security system their throwing a party.

The Chip is nothing for the loss of personal freedom compared to these.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    They have watches & bracelets now for kids....less invasive I think haha

I will totally have a family tracker on my daughter's phone once she's old enough to have one....

See my fear comes more from kidnapping fears etc...not to track in every day life, but in the insane chance that something happened..I would consider jewelery, but it can be removed.

we have had a recent random kidnapping here, and it has just made me think.

Maybe you could talk to a counselor about that.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'll just lock my kids in the basement until they're 18, eliminate all risks.

:wink:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    we'll all have them eventually.

who says we don't already?

aliens.jpg

:tongue:
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No!!! There is evidence that animals who have been microchipped develop cancerous tumors at the site.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I see enough little ones on leashes out in public that I think this idea isn't too far-fetched.
    Seriously? Leashes are for immediate safety. Don't be ridiculous.

I never put my kids on a leash either. I always made them hold my hand instead.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have Find My Phone on my son's iPhone, and there's a GPS tracking chip in his car that texts me if he's speeding or if he goes somewhere at that he's not supposed to. It also shows me a map where he is at any given time. I wouldn't embed one in his body though.

Wow. I'm really glad I'm not 17 again. My parents would freak. However, now that I'm the parent, I'm all for the above. May I ask what kind of car or is it a chip in a portable navi unit?
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would consider it for sure, but would really have to see the research on how it impacts the body... My oldest has family tracking on her phone for sure...
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I guess it would be okay, I mean, they're your kids, your decision. If they ever get kidnapped or something, you will know where they are.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have Find My Phone on my son's iPhone, and there's a GPS tracking chip in his car that texts me if he's speeding or if he goes somewhere at that he's not supposed to. It also shows me a map where he is at any given time. I wouldn't embed one in his body though.

Wow. I'm really glad I'm not 17 again. My parents would freak. However, now that I'm the parent, I'm all for the above. May I ask what kind of car or is it a chip in a portable navi unit?

Motosafety.com. It's actually really great. It brings my insurance down, since it functions as a LoJack device too. It plugs right into the OB2 sensor port. I had my son install it because I wanted him to be aware that it was there, and really be conscious of his speed. (And if he removes it, I get a text alert.)
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What is good for my wife is good for my kids!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I guess it would be okay, I mean, they're your kids, your decision. If they ever get kidnapped or something, you will know where they are.

I'm not worried about kidnapping. I'm worried that 17 can be fatally stupid.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I mean in the same way that we chip our pets, but with the possibility of GPS...would you do it on your own kids?

I would in a heart beat, even if that makes me sound like paranoid mum, and only to be used in extreme circumstances (though the potential for abuse of this is all over it of course) and I would be happy for them to remove it at 18...

What are your opinions?

Lol.

Aren't we all chipped already? With all these social media, and especially the checking in feature in facebook. One day everyone will know everything about us and our whereabouts. :P