Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Replies

• ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 720 Member
    Bump
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    I am paranoid more about putting pounds back on.
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Yeah, definitely. It takes pictures or seeing myself side-by-side with someone who weighs more (someone who I initially think I'm the same size as) to "wake me up." Good ol' emotional baggage... ;)
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Every day I have to fight with myself and tell myself I am not fat. Most of the time I don't believe it.
  • yes
  • wow I am so glad someone posted this. I feel crazy sometimes because I thought I was going to have this big change mentally and I did not. I still feel like the big girl. When I see other girls who are slim and pretty I feel like the ugly duck. I love Mfp for the boost it give my self confidence but in real life.. I well I am working on that part now :)
  • timmyb057
    timmyb057 Posts: 15 Member
    Same here also...I had lost about 20 lbs before finding MFP, and another 15 or so since, but its still hard to break that mental barrier for some reason. At the heaviest I felt really bad about it, so its hard to find a "before" pic because I avoided cameras as much as possible (some subconscious denial, I guess..). Everybody else seems to notice more than I do (even before they knew I was trying), so that has been encouraging. One of the bright spots has been my belt, it's one of the ones with the holes all the way around, and it wraps nearly halfway back again now :) I know its time for a new (smaller) one, but I enjoy having the reminder of how far I've come..
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Absolutely.I am 6' 2" 167 lbs and I still feel fat and extremely afraid that I will gain the weight back. Poor self image and self esteem issues probably.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    I am down 80 lbs and still see the 200+ me. It is starting to sink in, slowly. I am starting to see the change.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Down almost 60lbs and still feel the same. Somedays I feel awesome and recognize my progress. Other days, I feel shame and disappointment. Either way, I acknowledge my progress and try not to beat myself up too badly.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I am walking around in size 4 jeans right now. Size 4!!! And I still feel fat and am very surprised by pictures of myself lately. I don't think I look like that.
  • i to still see the fat me :( friends and family always tell me how good i look but everytime i look in the mirror i still see the bigger me! hoping after a while i'll be able to see the new me :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Yes.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Yes! I've lost 56lbs in the past 5 months, but when I'm out shopping i still pick up the size I wore months ago 22/24, even though I'm now 16/18. It's like my brain hasn't adjusted to the fact I'm alot smaller. If I'm out shopping with friends they'll pick me up a top in size 16 and say 'that's cute, try it on', and I'll look at it and immediately go 'that won't fit me, it's too small'. Then I'll try it on and surprise surprise it fits me no problem!

When I look in the mirror i still see a fat person, I'm smaller sure, but I'll still see that large person looking back at me, I'm hoping as I get closer to my goal that my brain will catch up!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Yes!

I have lost 38lbs and gone from a UK size 20 to a UK size 14. Obviously I still have a way to go, but I feel just as fat as I did when I started. I can't even see it in photos as I dressed to hide the fat when I was big and so I can't see the change when I look at photos now. Although I can try my old clothes on and see how much bigger I was it doesn't really sink in :frown:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    yep...I've lost 53 pounds....pretty much to my goal weight, 8 pounds to go, and in my mind I am fat, and always will be....its weird, my brain keeps saying I am still fat :ohwell:
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I have only lost 21 pounds so far... but, yes, I still feel "fat". I don't see where I have lost any. It's an everyday battle to keep moving in the right direction.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    I've lost more than 30 lbs so far (which looks like a lot more because I'm short), but I still feel like "the fat friend". Some of the girls in my dorm were saying the other day that they wish they were as thin as me, and I was like... What are you even talking about XD
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    I feel like this a lot of the time. It's a really hard mindset to get out of!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    I have lost 90#s and my head has not caught up with my body. I have 65#s more to go but still don't see the changes when I see myself in the mirror. Even though I went from a size 26W to a size 14W when I look in the mirror, I see size 26. I still walk around a "normal sized" store assume all the thin people are wondering why the fat chick is looking at clothes that are clearly to small for her. I don't know if your head ever gets fixed from body image issues. I think we always have things about our bodies that we don't like. We always say if only I was a size (blank) I would be happy. When that size comes up we are still not happy. It is all part of the self hate that we give ourselves from the time we are young. Do you ever look at old pictures of yourself and say " I can't believe I thought I was fat! I would die to be that size again." well I don't think we will ever be happy especially if self esteem is what got us in this mess to begin with.

Exiting soap box now! lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!