80 bites diet?

Options
has anyone tried this? It's a diet (more like lifestyle) where your goal is to eat 80 bites of food per day. it makes sense that it would help with weight loss...unless you take HUGE bites. Apparently most people average about 120 bites or so. Theres an app for it as well, but I wanted to know if anyone on MFP has had personal success with it!

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Even if it was the best thing ever, I know I'd lose track of bites before I've finished with breakfast. Logging foods and keeping track of the calories is so much easier.

Plus bites of vegetables and bites of lasagna are WAY different. You could end up way under or way over a reasonable calorie count.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Grabbing some popcorn, here we go again.
  • e11enr0se
    e11enr0se Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Even if it was the best thing ever, I know I'd lose track of bites before I've finished with breakfast. Logging foods and keeping track of the calories is so much easier.

Plus bites of vegetables and bites of lasagna are WAY different. You could end up way under or way over a reasonable calorie count.

Right, i see what you're saying. The app helps with the counting of bites, but it would be obnoxious to have to remember to press the "bite" button every time you put something in your mouth. However I'm pretty bad with over-eating so I'm curious if this would help me.
  • e11enr0se
    Options

haha, has this been up for debate before? I just recently stumbled across it
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

There have been several discussions over diets like this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/788018-the-80bites-diet?hl=bite+diet

Most fad diet/alternative food plans threads get heated, surprised this one has not yet.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Right, i see what you're saying. The app helps with the counting of bites, but it would be obnoxious to have to remember to press the "bite" button every time you put something in your mouth. However I'm pretty bad with over-eating so I'm curious if this would help me.

Instead of counting bites, something that could help is just putting your fork down and having to pick it up again for each bite. It will slow down your eating to give you a chance to feel full. However, if you are binging/overeating for emotional reasons, most likely neither of these solutions would help you. Figuring out why you are emotionally eating, and solving the underlying issue would probably be more beneficial than counting bites.
  • e11enr0se
    Options

There have been several discussions over diets like this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/788018-the-80bites-diet?hl=bite+diet

Most fad diet/alternative food plans threads get heated, surprised this one has not yet.

interesting. I searched for it so that I wasn't repeating a topic but that thread didn't come up. sorry for the repeat everyone!
  • e11enr0se
    Options

Instead of counting bites, something that could help is just putting your fork down and having to pick it up again for each bite. It will slow down your eating to give you a chance to feel full. However, if you are binging/overeating for emotional reasons, most likely neither of these solutions would help you. Figuring out why you are emotionally eating, and solving the underlying issue would probably be more beneficial than counting bites.

i think a lot of it is boredom or stress. i'm an architecture student so when i have work to do i WORK. when i have downtime i like to relax... i gotta find some balance.

what i'm asking is if anyone has actually done this successfully. i don't consider it a fad diet, as it doesn't tell you what you can or cannot eat. i just think it would help me to be mindful.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    80 bites of celery, or 80 bites of Big Mac ?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    80 bites of butter... got it.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    sorry no one has been able to read properly and answer your question. if i ever do try this i will let you know how it goes. good luck!
  • e11enr0se
    Options
    80 bites of celery, or 80 bites of Big Mac ?

touché.

all arguments aside...

has anyone ACTUALLY tried it?
  • e11enr0se
    Options
    sorry no one has been able to read properly and answer your question. i have never tried it before, but i may give it a shot and let you know how it goes. good luck!

thank you!! i'm not trying to set up a debate here!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Couldn't do it. Would starve to death. I eat tiny bites.
  • gallot
    Options
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I think that is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard.... they have an app for everything doesn't mean it is a good app...the only thing that works is eating right and exercise ... period !!!!!!!
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This crap again. I wouldn't do it. Its unsafe. watch your cals and exercise.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You're probably not going to get anyone on here who has tried this diet, since the whole point of the site is to count calories and NOT get into fad diets (and no matter what you say, this IS a fad diet). I doubt anyone on here had done this, common sense tells you it's a bad idea.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    there was a woman that posted a "20 bites a day" forum post and said she had lost a bunch of weight on it (in my opinion starving herself), trying to preach it to others. her post was locked/deleted and she either deleted herself from MFP, or she was removed from MFP...
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    all arguments aside...

has anyone ACTUALLY tried it?

They died. Of severe starvation.

Sorry, but I've already got 30 bites here at breakfast, and I still have like four or five meals left today.... It honestly just doesn't make sense.

The truth is.... it is A LOT easier to count your bites than pay attention to your calories, and eating healthy, and getting enough protein, etc. That's why people do it.... they want an easy quick weight loss fix. Not gonna happen. It takes work.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think this is a one way trip to an eating disorder and I'd advise against it.