What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You look good for someone with a one year old.

Can't they just stop at "you look good" period. ?
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh I remembered another one- saw a friend from High School, she asked what I was up to these days, I explained I had still had toddlers at home so I'm at home with them, her reply "Oh but you were so smart at school, I thought for sure you'd be one of those scientists who cures cancer or something."
    Gees, thanks, yeah, it's such a shame all my brain cells fell out of my uterus when I had children.
  • prettygonetatty
    Options
    On dressing as Amy Winehouse for fancy dress

'Nah, you're not skinny enough to be a crack *kitten*'

damn.....
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Can't remember any about my weight or physical appearance... I don't tend to get many comments one way or the other there. I wonder if I'm not invisible!

But I had a professor tell me I was "too smart" for my name and should consider using another one!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    At 170lbs,....an X-boyfriend said to me Wow!,..yur beautiful,...I've never been with a big girl befor.:explode:
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options

She loves to make snide little comments in her loving voice, nobody notices except the person she is making the remark to.

Do we share a mother-in-law?!
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love you but....
    ^ this. From my Mum. Throughout my life. In fact, I've NEVER (in 57 years) heard 'I love you' from her WITHOUT 'but {something or other}'. How tragic is that?
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Your cute, in a nerdy kinda way. I've been told that sooo much, that I believe it.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    can't think of any right off the top of my head. but last week I bought a new Adidas gym bag and the cashier at TJ Max said "looks like someone is about to start working out!" and I said "Um someone has been working out for 3 months."

can't wait till I can buy exercise equipment or clothing without looking like I stumbled into the wrong dept. heck, I can't wait till I can go to the produce dept or lean cuisine aisle at the grocery store without looking like a helpless fat girl embarking on a new diet. because right now when I go anywhere near the healthy foods people always give me unsolicited nutritional advice. I don't care how thin or fit I get. I'm not gonna go around telling people what they should do unless they ask for my opinion. Especially strangers!

and tell me why a guy at the Y who is in worse shape than I am feels the need to tell me what he thinks I should do regarding exercise. I doubt he can manage my daily workout. And he's new to classes I've been attending for a while now. But this is the 3rd day he's had some sort of wisdom to share. Today he came up to tell me (while I'm on a machine with my earbuds in) that from now on I don't eat any more white stuff. I responded that I do sometimes. And again he said, no. No more white stuff for you. Does he think he's the soup nazi from Seinfeld? Where does he get off?
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Back in high school, I dated a guy that was the king of backhanded complements. Like, 'Your the biggest girl I ever dated, but you are the nicest one. I guess food does make people happy.' Or 'If you would just lose a few pounds, you would be the prettiest girl I have ever been with.' Most of the time he didn't even bother with the compliment part, though.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    "You'd look really good if your *kitten* wasn't so big" Source of such niceness? My darling husband. Pitiful part is I really, really believed him and I only weighed 125 pounds. Pitiful. And the worst part is I am still married to the jerk.

wow, get a divorce.
  • juliakitten
    Options
    One from my lovely grandmother: "You're pretty right now, but you'd be beautiful if you lost weight."
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    A co-worker the other day told me I had lost a ton of weight. Thanks for noticing THE 55 POUNDS lost. That however does not equal a ton...

that doesn't sound bad to me. it's just a figure of speech.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    "You wouldnt be bad looking if you lost weight" LOL
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1".

From a guy I was crushing on...

"You're cute and all, but you intimidate the hell out of me and I would never ever date you".

:embarassed:
    :cry:
    :brokenheart:
  • rainbowfaye
    rainbowfaye Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When my MIL found out I had started doing pushups as part of my workouts she said "Wow you can do a lot of them. Good job... But you shouldn't be doing regular pushups. With your shoulders you will start looking like a man. Why don't you just do the wall ones?"
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    (while playing tennis) ... " I am surprised someone who looks like you can hit so hard" SMH
  • britneelin
    Options
    Ever since I was in HS, I've heard the, "You have a pretty face." Or, "You'd look hot if you lost some weight."

I was once told that I needed to lose weight or my ex-boyfriend would leave me. o.O Then, why are you dating me? Geez. Lol.

I've also heard the, "I've never been with a big girl before..." Eff off! Lol.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Conversation with mother in law ( I had lsot 30 pound at this stage) -

Mil - So are you going to start losing weight?

Me- Yep I have already started, have lost a bit and can even fit my engagement ring back on.

Mil - So you have just lost water weight.

Me - *silent*

(wish I would have thought of a comeback fast enough, like yeah dipsh*t, 30 pounds of water weight!)

She loves to make snide little comments in her loving voice, nobody notices except the person she is making the remark to.

you should have said,
    "And it looks like you found some of it..."
    just sayin'

I refer to my in-laws as the out-laws : /
    they're actually all pretty decent except MIL has her say sometimes...
  • cindylou
    Options
    I hadn't been home for a few years and when my dad saw me he said, "It doesn't look like Cindy,but it sounds like Cindy".
    We had just moved both parents to assisted living.