What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You look amazing for your age!

I just creeped your pictures and trust me, you look amazing for ANY age.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    (At the time, I had lost 75 pounds...)

Coworker: OMG, pretty soon I am going to walk in and see a floating head.
    Me: What?
    Coworker: You're losing so much weight there is going to be nothing left of you.
    Me: Awkward silence...Thanks! Strange smile...

-Scene closed- (-.-)

This cracked me up!!! What a strange thing that person said.

We don't really get along, but she was trying to be nice... I laughed about this for about a week solid! :)
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How about, 'your so lucky your tall, it hides your extra weight.'

Urr, thanks.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The wife and I were gossiping about former classmates and how they have changed over the past 6 years or so and I said to her "I wonder what they think of me?" she said, "they probably think you're a skinny looking freak."

Thanks for the support! oh yea, and the compliment. It's nice that someone thinks I'm skinny, even with about ten pounds left until goal weight.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started dating almost 9 years ago...which is when I initially started putting on my weight. Just a couple months after we started dating I was having a feel sorry for myself fat evening (crying about it, of course). He really was trying to be nice.

"I don't know what you're making such a big deal about. You're no fatter than the day I met you."
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    From a guy I had been hopelessly crushing on in high school, "You're really pretty, but you'd be hot if you lost some weight."
    Eff you too.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    "I have a box of old clothes in the garage that are too big for me now. I bet they'd look great on you; you should go take a look!"

No mom, I don't want your fat clothes.

Why is that such a mean thing? Were the clothes not nice or something?

I've offered clothes to a friend once but I didn't think it was offensive at the time. I figured they were pretty expensive and nice business clothes so why not offer it to a friend first before donating them.

I can't speak for the op of that quote but when my mother offered her FAT clothes to me I did find it insulting, because of the way she said it, and because she is quite a bit bigger than me.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I was out with some girlfriends having a good time when this "kid" sits next to me and offers to buy a drink. I said thanks but no thanks. He then says what is someone in her mid 20s doing by herself. I replied that I was not by myself (friends were all single and left me alone for awhile), 2 that he might want to add at least 12 years to that mid-20s range and 3) I am married. He then says: Wow, I would not have guessed you were that old. For what it is worth you are really hot for someone of your age.

I am 37, this kid was probably just turning 21. LOL
  • chopzgurl05
    chopzgurl05 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You look good. . . For being a mom *sigh*
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    "You are hot...for a black girl." Sad but true.

I once got "you're the hottest white girl I've ever seen"....yeah.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My mother in law asked what size I am, I told her, her response 'you only lost weight to look good to other men' WTF?

When she later asked what I weigh, her response 'you just said that to upset me' again WTF?
  • bkknights
    bkknights Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You look like you've lost weight...your face was much rounder. Really??
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My mother in law asked what size I am, I told her, her response 'you only lost weight to look good to other men' WTF?

When she later asked what I weigh, her response 'you just said that to upset me' again WTF?

Wow, oversensitive much?? That's terrible!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    "You have such a pretty face, and you look hot..... if only you're thinner"

The main source: my nosey family

EDIT: Btw that happened years ago when I was still obese
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options

PSYCHOOOOOOOOOO
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    In high school " you would be pretty if you would dress better and when your face clears up" Needless to say middle school and high school sucked *kitten*!! I had acne, big boobs and was a huge Tomboy.. Fun times

yes big boobs those are terrible :|
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    How about, 'your so lucky your tall, it hides your extra weight.'

Urr, thanks.

Oh yeah, that's one of my faves, along with "you carry your weight so well" :noway:
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I do theatre and I'm constantly around other actresses, there are far too many to mention...
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options

She loves to make snide little comments in her loving voice, nobody notices except the person she is making the remark to.

Do we share a mother-in-law?!

Our MIL's should all be in a club.
  • faithorfood
    Options
    I was excited about going to my high school reunion but hadn't lost all my weight yet. I picked out a new outfit and my sweetie nodded his approval. The day of the reunion when I put it on and asked him what he thought he smiled and said..."It's kinda cute." KINDA OF CUTE!!!! Men don't ever tell a lady she looks kinda cute. Didn't wear it but its forever known as my kinda of cute outfit: :wink: