What's the most backhanded compliment you've ever recieved?

Options

Replies

• jennaddy
    jennaddy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    At my younger brother's graduation party, my great aunt said to me, "I always thought you were the prettiest of all the girls in the family... you know as long as you keep the weight off."

Backhanded though it may be, I still thought it was sweet.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure if it was a backhanded compliment.... But I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or hurt.

This guy at the gym said, "Damn, you've gotten so slim! But your legs are still nice and thick."
    I know he meant well, because he likes "thick" legs. But it made me feel like a tree.
  • Dundarave
    Options
    You must have been beautiful when you were younger
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    From my mother-in-law, on my wedding day, when she first sees me as I'm about to go down the aisle: "Sara, you look beautiful! You look nothing like yourself."
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My dad, yesterday: You are losing all your weight up top. I know this, and if I could get it off my legs and booty first, I definitely would!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Several ex's have commented on they don't miss me... just Mr Happy :huh:
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I live in the south so they all start with "bless your heart..."
  • KStyleFitness
    KStyleFitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget this one. "Your tummy looks fine for having 2 kids." Both my kids are ADOPTED so my belly fat has nothing to do with them! Sheesh!
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    You're going to be skinnier than me soon. What? Thanks. . .
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    "You remind me of my grandma"
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    "I love your sweater!! It seems so unfair they only make that style for women like you; I can never find sweaters like that for petites...."
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    "You remind me of my grandma"

Reminds me, a girl years ago I used to have a crush on said to me, mmm yeah, I like you - you remind me of my brother.

Put me right off LOL
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    One of the super fit, young 'yummy mummies' saw me crossing the road and shouted, Wow you'll be just like us soon!!!
    OMG I could have died with horror!!

I felt like shouting back I NEVER want to be like you - but I had my two sons with me and dignity prevailled.
    Jules xx
  • chcunningham
    chcunningham Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of these..." you are really light on your feet for your size" and "You have a really pretty face".....REALLY
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A friend and I talking about our expectations of how we like guys to look:

I made a quip about holding myself to the same standard and she said "Yeah, but I really think that girls are allowed to be a little chubby."

lolololololol. I'm 5'1 and weighed 125 pounds.

I sort of did the head cocked to the side look, but wasn't terribly offended. It's a good thing I like myself or that would have SUCKED
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    "You don't sound like you're from West Virginia."
  • nerdygirl2
    nerdygirl2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    From a "friend"-- You would look so much better with short hair. You know women over 50 are suppose to have short hair. I know just the stylist that can cut yours.
  • joconnor09
    Options
    My sister always tries to tell me I'm not fat- which would be nice if it wasn't so insulting. Even at my highest (when I was in the OBESE category) she would say "you're not fat. You could wear a bikini if you wanted. I'M the one who's fat." when she's thin as a rod and I practically look pregnant my stomach is so huge. It really is insulting when people straight up lie to your face, even though what they're saying might seem complimentary. Denying the reality of the situation is not helpful!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    "it's great that you've lost weight and gotten in shape, but you looked a whole lot younger when you were fat. Your face looks old now."

F*&*# YOU!!!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    "You look good, but you'll look better if you keep running."
    -my boyfriend

The most annoying thing about this was that I work out a lot, and he never does. Talk about a double standard! I should have said that he looks good, but he'd look better if he actually started running...

Haha. My boyfriend likes to point out that he doesn't have to go the gym and he's still in better shape than me. When asked what he means by "in better shape," he points out that he can beat me: in a two mile race, at pushups, in lifting, and at pretty much any sport. I say "no *kitten*, that's why men and women compete seperately, and what about endurance?" Him: "That dosen't matter."