What do you guys do for a living?

Options

Replies

• nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've got my bachelor's degree in Chemistry. I started out my real career as a lab tech for a precious metals recycling company and hated it (not quite as much as being a cashier/ pharm tech at CVS. Please don't spend money there guys, they don't treat employees well!). It was all about the money and everyone in the company was replaceable according to the owner. Now I am the lab chemist for the electroplating department of a company that makes cables, and I love it. Much more laid back and I feel like I matter.

You may not love the substance of the career you choose, but make sure you love your workplace. I used to go home crying sometimes and now there's not a damn day where I'm sad!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom... before I had kids, I was an LNA and looking into nursing, but then I realized I really don't want to do it. So many nurses I worked with gave them a bad name and made me sick. Sooooooooooooo... I'm in school majoring in psychology now.
  • Brenda3561
    Options
    I went to college and earned a degree in business management. Realized I had no interest in that at all the moment I became a mother and have spent the past 13 years as a home day care provider. Talk about paying student loans for nothing lol. Really not so bad because at least I know I have that and there are skills I learned in college that help me in running my own home based business.

If you had asked me when I was in my teens or even college if I'd ever watch kids full time I'd think you were CRAZY. I love doing this. It's a balance of teaching, child care, homemaker, business management. The only hard part I've ever run into is the parents, the kids are wonderful :)
  • ashmorgstraws
    Options
    I work 3 days a week as a "nanny" for my cousin with 4 kids - ages 6 months-5 years old.
    Then 1-2 days I week I'm a part-time receptionist for a small company in a town a few over from where I live.
    LOVE them both.
  • Lityboy
    Options
    I´m a senior tax officer at Portuguese Tax and Customs Authority as of 1999.
    We all love taxes, excise duties and import duties, don´t we.....ehhhhhhhhhh
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I do internal customer service from home. I do love my job, but get a bit stir crazy being at home all the time.
  • goffley3
    goffley3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm and IT guy, far from what your looking to do, but as an industry that increasingly relies on technology, animation could be a lot of fun too. I'll give you the same advice I gave my little brother who is choosing his major this year: choose something you like AND is practical (something you can make money from). Like I told him, money can't buy happiness, but happiness won't pay your mortgage; find a happy medium.

Good luck
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    im a professional carnie... im not kidding either.

also a student.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm training to be a nursery nurse. I love my job, it's stressful and the pay isn't alot but I wouldn't trade my job for anything, I look forward to going into work every single day(except for when I'm ill, I just need to be at home in bed then!). Alot of people don't realise that it's not just about changing nappies or playing games, we help the children reach their full potential. This is something I want to do for the rest of my life:).
  • Kalebsmommy424
    Kalebsmommy424 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have 2 jobs (Praise Jesus)!!

I work as a project manager for a large Technology Company and my 2nd Job is the Federal Government.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    College is overrated and doesn't always guarantee you'll have a kick-*kitten* job making buckets of money. Here's a list of careers I have had:

Hair stylist/ nail technician
    Sewing factory (sewed & supervised)
    Fast food (McDonalds, DQ, local deli/pizzeria - food service & management)
    Convenience store (CSR & managed)
    Office Manager
    Administrative Assistant

Honestly the one I loved the most was the convenience store work. I loved the fast paced, busy days. Not so fond of the nights & weekends after I got older, which is why I am now settled into an office job.

Bottom line - do what you love! It makes whatever you do, so much easier if you love it!
  • Lunka_Almeida
    Options
    I'm an occupational therapist, and I work with people with mental ilness like schizophrenia.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Medical Coder.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    cardiology nurse practitioner
  • smilingselena
    smilingselena Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    access control, security guard
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Engineer for seismic and fire protection and Design engineer for specialty automotive applications.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Software programmer

Being an animator was a dream of mine for a long time, but it is extremely competitive. I continue to draw (mostly anime) but on my spare time for fun.
  • Nittyman
    Nittyman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am an American soldier, I am a warrior and a member of a team...I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values. Yup just your average soldier here...The orchestrator of all organized chaos. The one who fights the things that go bump in the night so non rough men can sleep soundly at night. lol or at least something like that
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As a young adult I became a single mother of three, I'm not creative in the least and needed a job with steady daytime hours and regular pay. I'm a bookkeeper in an accounting office. Still slowly working at my Accounting degree but I've been doing the work for years now with a great boss who works with me to explain things I haven't learned yet.

My original plan was to be a Psychologist and work with disadvantaged children but there wasn't enough money in that to support 4 people so I had to change my career path.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm a statistician, although I was trained in a substantive field. The main thing I would change is perhaps to have gotten a Ph.D. in stat, instead of another field--I realized too late that I liked statistics better.