paleo side effects and how long did they last?

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Without going into my opinion of paleo:

Post your macros. It's very likely an issue with CHO being set too low. You can still increase CHO and remain "paleo" via your food selection.

thanks yes, I am going to start that as well!!!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    You are 5'2" and weigh 117 pounds. You probably do not have enough body fat to compensate for a very low carb diet while working out. You need more calories than 1200 a day to support your activity. To lose the additional 9 pounds you want to lose you should only be trying to lose 1/2 a pound a week at the most. Paleo is a fine diet but your body needs more fuel than you are giving it..

great point!! thank you!!! although I am probably not going to lose anymore weight, as I want to add muscle, so maintaining I'll be happy
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Without going into my opinion of paleo:

Post your macros. It's very likely an issue with CHO being set too low. You can still increase CHO and remain "paleo" via your food selection.

thanks yes, I am going to start that as well!!!!

Can you post your macronutrient intake in grams please?
  • anessandra
    anessandra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I fallow Paleo diet, I just love it, I eat all day long never am I hungry and I keep losing weight, I do not count calories..... I find that the more I eat the more I lose, some weeks up to 4.5 pounds and others only a pound, I have lost 28.6 pounds since sept 1 2012 but I also exercise alot and I started kickboxing which is totally awesome, I felt low energy at the start, or when I dont get enough sleep....hope this helps

take care
    S.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I didn't get hit with the "flu" too bad. I started out with plenty of fruits then started to widdle them down, so that probably helped.

I would guess that you aren't getting enough fats. Since that is what your body is supposed to be burning as it transitions, you probably aren't giving it enough. If it can't burn carbs, and you aren't getting enough fats, it doesn't really have enough energy to burn for you. Adding nuts, avocados, coconut and olive oils, etc.. is a really good and easy way to incorporate fats into your diet. I also really like tahini on salads.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon :)

yes I am going to try that too!!! thanks you!!! I'm going to buy some avacados tonight!!

Yes, especially avocados and some almonds are a great add-on for your salads and will provide you with enough energy without the risk of gaining weight.
  • Timmi1978
    Options
    I fallow Paleo diet, I just love it, I eat all day long never am I hungry and I keep losing weight, I do not count calories..... I find that the more I eat the more I lose, some weeks up to 4.5 pounds and others only a pound, I have lost 28.6 pounds since sept 1 2012 but I also exercise alot and I started kickboxing which is totally awesome, I felt low energy at the start, or when I dont get enough sleep....hope this helps

take care
    S.

Do you feel that you require less sleep after being following Paleo for a while?
    That's what I experienced after about 2 weeks of eating "clean", suddenly waking up an hour earlier than I've been used to.
  • kathrynbreann
    Options
    Eating more high protein foods common in paleo can be more difficult to digest than carbs, and the high sodium content in them can both cause some dehydration, especially if you are eating late at night, this may also cause fatigue.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Been Paleo for a year (my one little non-Paleo indulgence is a bit of dairy) - cant recall having any issues - but then I was already eating reasonably low carb, and low GI carbs at that.
    Also - because I eat a heaps of vegetables my carbs are still around 120 - 130 grams each day - so not extremely low...I also eat close to 2000 calories each day ;-)

One poster already mentioned fats - if you cut out your carbs make sure you get enough fats and protein....
  • Timmi1978
    Options
    If you are really in a rush and you don't want to cook anything fancy, just eat some nuts or have a spoon of 'healthy' oil like olive oil. This will keep you from feeling tired or exhausted
  • jennaworksout
    Options

take care
    S.

Do you feel that you require less sleep after being following Paleo for a while?
    That's what I experienced after about 2 weeks of eating "clean", suddenly waking up an hour earlier than I've been used to.

yes! I wake up 1 hour every morning earlier, around 4:30, I usually get up at 5:30...I heard that was commonas wel!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    If you are really in a rush and you don't want to cook anything fancy, just eat some nuts or have a spoon of 'healthy' oil like olive oil. This will keep you from feeling tired or exhausted

yes I Have almonds at work and grab 10 or 12 mid morning or mid afternoon :)
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    Eating more high protein foods common in paleo can be more difficult to digest than carbs, and the high sodium content in them can both cause some dehydration, especially if you are eating late at night, this may also cause fatigue.

thank you!! i am going to work on my carb, protein , fat ratios this weekend and get them stabilized hopefully see what works !
  • jennaworksout
    Options

take care
    S.

thanks, sounds like me , maybe I should be going to bed earlier lol....I head this diet you need to get lots of sleep, got my steak, eggs, sweet potato and almonds , oh and a spinach salad to eat today before the gym, I usually go from work, i think iI will have energy today!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    update!!! after almost 3 weeks I finally figured out my macros and I feel great!!! My energy is back!!! YAY!!! and I don't look like a crack head LMAO ....it took some time but the carb-flu is OVER!!!!:drinker:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I recently started Paleo, 15 days ago, there are a few side TEMPORARY effects I am getting and wondering if anyone else has had these issues and how long they lasted? Most concerning one is my lack of energy, the gym is like hell now, very hard to get any cardio done, I know you are not supposed to do alot on the paleo, but even a 10 minute walk is hard, also the other major ones are dehydration, bags under my eyes, tired looking, dizzy, dry skin, night sweats, THESE ARE ALL NORMAL FOR SWITCHING OVER as your body needs to get used to the new diet, just wondering if anyone else went through this and how long did they last? From researching online it says anywheres from 2 - 4 weeks, just want to hear from some people that actualy went through this and stuck it out.....

***I do want to mention the benefits are great from this diet, no more bloating, no more "food babies", regular BM, and no more anxiety!!! which is a huge one for me :happy:

PLease let me know how long your side effects lasted if you are on this diet, thanks! PLEASE DON'T ANSWER IF YOUR NOT ON THIS DIET

Please note I drink 2 litres of water a day, and do eat some carbs from sweet potato and some fruit.

What does your fat intake look like? And depending on where you live, 2 liters of water may not be enough for YOUR body.

What does a typical day of meals look like for you?

I had that burst of energy after about 6 or 7 days.
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I started removing carbs from my diet way back when, I adjusted in 4-5 days. The last day was pure misery.. I had 0 energy, felt sick, cold sweats. But I woke up the next day feeling fantastic. Just give it time.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    update!!! after almost 3 weeks I finally figured out my macros and I feel great!!! My energy is back!!! YAY!!! and I don't look like a crack head LMAO ....it took some time but the carb-flu is OVER!!!!:drinker:

That is AWESOME to hear!!!

Way to go and Congrats on sticking with things and experimenting with what works with YOUR individual body.

I feel best with higher fat, moderate protein and lower on the carbs, keeping fruit to a minimum especially. But, I have hormone issues that makes my body like this.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any of the side effects. I've read of many who have, but unless mine were just so subtle I didn't notice them, they didn't bother me at all. I would have to say as far as energy, the opposite was true, I had much more. Years ago when I tried Atkins, which was much lower carb, I didn't have them either, although I didn't notice the increased energy then (but my husband did.)

ETA: I aim for 60 fat, 20 protein, 20 carbs. I am usually over on fat and under on the other two. My suspicion, like many previous commenters, is your fat is too low.
  • nogueira22
    Options
    I , too had the "carb flu" when i started eating lower carb. it took me about a month to have a better energy level and continuous weight loss. I totally agree with the previous poster with regard to fat intake. I think most people do not eat enough fat, especially if they are exercising so it takes even longer for body to respond. This is the only way i have been able to lose wt and feel really good most of the time. Good luck!
  • Amalner
    Amalner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Holy cow...you must be pulling your hair out with these answers! I am getting frustrated reading them ALL!