Healthiest bread at subway

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!:sad: I LOVE subway once in a while, and was wondering what the healthiest bread choice is. LET ME KNOW PLEASE! :flowerforyou:

There is no healthiest bread at Subway. It is highly processed, garbage food like substance.

The only "real food" at Subway is the vegetables they put on those sandwiches.
    That is no help at all.......

Why not? Its not real food.
    Your opinion is noted, but the OP asked for specific advice on the types of bread. We get it--you think you have the right diet. Cool for you. Just because it's right for you doesn't make it right for everyone, and snide comments don't help people at all. That was my point.

My suggestion is basically forgo the bread, period and stay out of Subway. it has to be among the grossest restaurants I have ever seen.

It is like food poisoning waiting to happen.

And speaking the truth isn't making a snide comment.

To the OP: Find a Jimmy John's and order yourself an Unwich and a pickle. That would be the healthiest option at a restaurant such as these.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I go for Italian for low calories generally - turkey breast and ham because it's in the £3 deal. Though now owed 3 subs free as you got triple points in the first month after registering online and that worked on me :).

But generally I'm happy with the fibre etc I get elsewhere and prefer the taste of white.

"Just a little" sweet onion sauce - local one is pretty good but some stores the staff seem to have the three-sweep squidge of sauce in their muscle memory which can't be over-ridden :(.
    There is no healthiest bread at Subway. It is highly processed, garbage food like substance.

:?
    Of course bread is 'highly processed'. That's rather the point of it; if it wasn't processed, it's just be some grain; and thus not nearly as good at containing the contents of my sammich ;).

I don't eat highly processed frankenfoods. I eat for health and nutrition. I eat to live, not live to eat.

Well, I live to eat. And I am proud of it!:tongue::laugh:
  • amberrose724
    Options
    there's no difference in the breads at subway except there being white and wheat dough.better off just getting a salad.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't eat highly processed frankenfoods. I eat for health and nutrition. I eat to live, not live to eat.
    Me, I enjoy eating.

I also don't like sound-byte science. ;)

I certainly have never been convinced by anyone trying convince me the in regards to the benefits of 'paelo'.

I do, however, like the way people on here generally request scientific studies to back up 'the truth'.
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Found this on a website. http://www.eatingrules.com/2010/05/healthy-options-at-subway/

Also more info on best and worst choices besided bread...

6” Bread Only – Better Choices

“Omega 3″ Wheat Bread
    230 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 3g total fat, 310mg sodium, 4g fiber, 8g protein

9-Grain Wheat
    210 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 2g total fat, 410mg sodium, 4g fiber, 8g protein

Honey Oat
    260 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 3g total fat, 430mg sodium, 5g fiber, 9g protein

Sourdough - A bit low in fiber, but also lower in sodium.
    210 cal, 1g sat fat, 3g total fat, 210mg sodium, 3g fiber, 8g protein

6” Bread Only – Worst Choices

None of the other bread options are great, since they’re all low in fiber — which means they’re probably using only refined flour — so I’ve listed everything else here from “least bad” to “worst of all,” more or less.

Hearty Italian Bread
    220 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 2g total fat, 390mg sodium, 2g fiber, 8g protein

Italian (White) Bread
    200 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 2g total fat, 390mg sodium, 1g fiber, 7g protein

Flatbread
    240 cal, 1g sat fat, 5g total fat, 480mg sodium, 2g fiber, 8g protein

Wrap
    240 cal, 1g sat fat, 5g total fat, 480mg sodium, 2g fiber, 8g protein

Italian Herbs & Cheese
    250 cal, 2.5g sat fat, 5g total fat, 590mg sodium, 2g fiber, 10g protein

Monterey Cheddar
    240 cal, 3g sat fat, 5g total fat, 460mg sodium, 1g fiber, 10g protein

Roasted Garlic
    230cal, 0.5g sat fat, 2.5g total fat, 1,360mg sodium, 2g fiber, 8g protein
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    salad

Agreed. Eat their salad. I love getting the Grilled Chicken and baby spinach salad loaded with veggies.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dressing for subway, I have fat free iltalan dressing yummy. The whole pack is 25 calories! Also the sweet onion sauce is low in calories
  • JColonio
    Options
    Well, you can have a sandwich once in a while. There is nothing with having a sandwich every couple of weeks. But, lets not get confused, there is not much of a difference between wheat or honey oat bread. In fact, the are made with the same dough but one is sprinkled with honey oat on top. They are both wheat bread and contain the same nutritional value white bread so feast as you wish.

For an actual healthy choice, go with the salad, no cheese, little-to-no dressing, bottle of water. No need for the chips, cookies, fruits, etc...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Between the sodium-bomb deli meats and the hyper caloric dressings and condiments, I would think the choice of bread is the least of worries when eating at Subway.
  • bowlofpeaches
    bowlofpeaches Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love their flat bread and TONS of veggies with sweet onion sauce :P
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you are choosing it over a burger you are doing a good anyway! If its your go to while out then you still doing well. If its an everyday staple there is room for improvement. Though the meat leaves something to be desired. It is pressed processed junk. Have a great day!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Subway sammich and chips and pop and cookie is soopa healthful. Especially the bread. They accidentally put whole grains in that bread, I heard.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Other than losing the whole "sandwich" factor, meaning easy to eat, why not just order your subs as a salad and eliminate that whole mess of calories and processed crap?

The problem is then, what dressing???
    Really, why does the addition of lettuce suddenly mean you need to drown it in dressing?

you dont have dressing on the sandwich?
    weirdo!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "If you have it once in a while it's no big deal" stance. Just wanted to add this...

Unless it says "100% whole wheat" or "100% whole grain" then it's really nothing more than plain old white bread. A bread that is labeled as "whole wheat/grain" without the 100% in the description only has to have a little tiny bit of whole grains, the rest can be super processed white flour. I'm not gonna debate the value of whole grains vs other, just wanted to share that bc I think most people don't realize it.
  • udinth
    udinth Posts: 92
    Options
    Subway smells like homeless people.

Maybe your local one does. The one at the end of my block is always clean and smells good, like their food. And the couple who run it are hard-working, friendly, and helpful.
  • MrGonzo05
    Options
    Other than losing the whole "sandwich" factor, meaning easy to eat, why not just order your subs as a salad and eliminate that whole mess of calories and processed crap?

The problem is then, what dressing???
    Really, why does the addition of lettuce suddenly mean you need to drown it in dressing?

you dont have dressing on the sandwich?
    weirdo!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I go for Italian for low calories generally - turkey breast and ham because it's in the £3 deal. Though now owed 3 subs free as you got triple points in the first month after registering online and that worked on me :).

But generally I'm happy with the fibre etc I get elsewhere and prefer the taste of white.

"Just a little" sweet onion sauce - local one is pretty good but some stores the staff seem to have the three-sweep squidge of sauce in their muscle memory which can't be over-ridden :(.

:?
    Of course bread is 'highly processed'. That's rather the point of it; if it wasn't processed, it's just be some grain; and thus not nearly as good at containing the contents of my sammich ;).

Well, I live to eat. And I am proud of it!:tongue::laugh:
    I'm with you. ^ Not a thing wrong with Subway, I have it darn near everyday and it hasn't affected my health or weight loss one bit.:drinker: It's called moderation: meeting your calorie/macro/micro goals and NOT demonizing and cutting out entire food groups because of 'processing'. :noway: Have your Subway and enjoy. I enjoy mine.
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just read the OP and none of the posts that followed...but subway bread is so bad! It contains a dough conditioner: azodicarbonamide...which is a petroleum by product. Just get a salad with avocado. Skip the sketchy bread.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!

This is news to me, sad news :(
    Same for me.. But then again, my boyfriend and I agreed that if I'm going to have ANYTHING that is not made at home due to my.. Female cravings, it better be just a VERY small portion of it. We agreed that I will not deny myself ANY food, just have SMALL portions of it. Very.. very... veryyyy small portions of it. Otherwise, I will lose my fight.
  • MrGonzo05
    Options
    I just read the OP and none of the posts that followed...but subway bread is so bad! It contains a dough conditioner: azodicarbonamide...which is a petroleum by product.

But that's the best part!