Why have I only lost 0.5lb this week?

Options
2»

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Why have I only lost 0.5lb this week? I was about 2600 calories under my weekly goal, based on 1390 cals per day, so nearly a 7000 cal deficit and still only lost 0.5.. Any reason why?? Gutted isn't the word!

So...you are starving yourself from what I am reading by those numbers. 0.5 lbs lost "may" have been more if your body wasn't hanging on to anything it could.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why have I only lost 0.5lb this week? I was about 2600 calories under my weekly goal, based on 1390 cals per day, so nearly a 7000 cal deficit and still only lost 0.5.. Any reason why?? Gutted isn't the word!

On one sunday, i weighed in, i found that i lost 0.4 Lbs and On Next sunday, I weighed in, i found that i lost around 4.4 Lbs. I used to eat around 1400-1700 cal due to intense cardio.
  • annicins
    Options
    Just because. You will even have weeks when your weight bumps up a little bit for no reason that you can put a finger on.

Keep doing the work. Your body will make the adjustments that it has to make, and weight loss will follow. It's a pretty bumpy road for most of us.

(that's why I plan to weigh myself only once per month)

I only weigh myself once a month, too. It keeps me motivated because the number is always going down!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss you should be happy :happy:
  • Yaci20
    Options
    When I lost 13 lbs after 2 months my body seemed to be at a stand still for around a month. i actually put on around 3 lbs even though i was continuing to eat properly and exercise. All of a sudden, the lbs just started to melt off and haven't stopped since. Our bodies are usually blind-sided by a change in diet and exercise which is why we lose lbs right away for the first couple of weeks or months. At some point our bodies realize changes are happening and try as hard as it can to hold on to what we've got in case it is not a healthy change. Thankfully, if you keep doing what your doing, they will start to disappear. Be patient and don't let the frustration drive you crazy!

Just a side note-my mother has maintained a 150 lb weight loss for 5 years and she gave me the best advice to keep me going. Everytime I reach a plateau, such as 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs. or more, I go to the meat department at the food store (and without looking completely nuts) I non-chalantly pick up the amount of meat that equals the weight I've lost. It is incredible to see and feel it in your hands after you have lost it and it really puts it in perspective. Even a .5 lb feels incredible! Good Luck!!!

25268542.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Yaci!
  • gem5639
    Options
    Thanks for that perspective Yaci. Sounds crazy in the meat store, but can see the psychological side to that being amazing! And wow, your mother must feel great that she's maintained that! You've done excellent to lose 31 so far!!
  • RyanRobertJ
    RyanRobertJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weighed in this morning and felt bad too. I lost 6 pounds in October, and even though I've been working much harder and eating much healthier in the past 2 weeks, I've only lost 2.

But I've found encouragement in this thread. I don't think I'm eating enough. I haven't been trying to meet my daily calorie goal...I've been trying to undercut it by a lot most days and I guess that isn't good. And everyone is talking about fluctuation... I guess some weigh-ins will be better than others and that's just how it goes.

At least we're moving in the right direction, right?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    When I lost 13 lbs after 2 months my body seemed to be at a stand still for around a month. i actually put on around 3 lbs even though i was continuing to eat properly and exercise. All of a sudden, the lbs just started to melt off and haven't stopped since. Our bodies are usually blind-sided by a change in diet and exercise which is why we lose lbs right away for the first couple of weeks or months. At some point our bodies realize changes are happening and try as hard as it can to hold on to what we've got in case it is not a healthy change. Thankfully, if you keep doing what your doing, they will start to disappear. Be patient and don't let the frustration drive you crazy!

Just a side note-my mother has maintained a 150 lb weight loss for 5 years and she gave me the best advice to keep me going. Everytime I reach a plateau, such as 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs. or more, I go to the meat department at the food store (and without looking completely nuts) I non-chalantly pick up the amount of meat that equals the weight I've lost. It is incredible to see and feel it in your hands after you have lost it and it really puts it in perspective. Even a .5 lb feels incredible! Good Luck!!!

25268542.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

That is an awesome story!!

My weight loss hasn't been linear at all. I tend to lose 3-4 pounds within a week, then stay the same for three weeks. Try not to let the scale discourage you...it's not the only way to measure progress!! Good luck!!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

High calorie deficit doesn't always = high weight loss.

I only had an 1800 calorie deficit last week and went to the gym a grand total of 3 times. And I also lost 0.5lb. Why? Because I'm eating more to weigh less....... check out eatmore2weighless.com. Founded by two MFP members.
  • Yaci20
    Options
    Thanks! I am glad i can share! ;-)

Everyone is doing such a great job. I know this is a struggle for all of us on a daily basis but the support on here is fantastic! Way to go!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/795382-anyone-else-lose-weight-monthly-instead-of-weekly

See this thread. We were just discussing this. I know we all hear "weight loss isn't linear", but it helps to hear from others that are probably having the same issues as you may be having.
  • gem5639
    Options
    Just an update on this, on Monday morning I only lost 0.5lbs, I true the scales again thismorning and I'd lost another 1.5lbs, so seems it was just an extra day for body to catch up this week! So I'm so happy again! Until next time it happens, ha!