Are The People On Here more Susceptible To Eating Disorders?

Options

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”!
    does that poster look to be an obese beginner to you?

I'd definitely say he looks like an underweight beginner...downright scrawny even. In fact, my question for him would be, DYEL?

(Oh, wait, I'm not posting this from an alt account? Hmmm...awkward.)

aww, your alter ego is mean to you! maybe you do need some help, for that.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    beansprouts.........are u mad?

Get real... Do I look like the kind of person who would get half naked and then do youtube bodybuilding videos from my kitchen?...My head is on straight...If I'm in the kitchen...I'm eating!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the recent influx of pro-eating disorder people lately; like MOST if not ALL people, I used to have an eating disorder, and mfp in of itself has really helped me get a healthier perspective. It seems like a bunch of kids found the website and are using it to spread misinformation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”!
    does that poster look to be an obese beginner to you?

I'd definitely say he looks like an underweight beginner...downright scrawny even. In fact, my question for him would be, DYEL?

(Oh, wait, I'm not posting this from an alt account? Hmmm...awkward.)

aww, your alter ego is mean to you! maybe you do need some help, for that.

Oh, I never doubted that I needed professional help...

...I'm just 99.44% certain that I don't need it for an eating disorder.
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with binge eating disorder for almost my entire life and have tried diet after diet only to have things work for a while, allow me to drop 30 lbs, and then I fall back into old habits.

There was at time in my life where I used calorie counting in an obsessive way, using the calories to log the smallest amount of food, staying grossly under healthy ideals and other times, using calories to allow me to binge on crap food and stay within my calories. I think there is the potential for eating disorders through any obsessive thinking or habits, but I don't think this site breeds them.

Now after doing the therapy that must be coupled with any binge eating disorder, I can use the site in a healthy way, not for allowing me to track crap food so I stay under or to starve myself throughout the day, but to be more aware of the calories in food, to take the guess work out of eating, and to track binges when I do binge. I have found that being able to log the food I eat and knowing how many calories are in different things deters me from eating them and helps me to make healthier choices. I used to think that going out for lunch or having a chocolate bar meant I was undoubtedly over my calories, but after joining mfp, I realized that I can still have treats and have a great day. That has been the most empowering thing for me. Knowing that I can have chocolate or ice cream if I want it, but often choosing to skip it because i can have it another day and still not ruin the day.

So I guess the short version of that is, I think MFP can be a great tool for someone who is recovering from an ED. If you are someone who has ED tendencies and have not done the ground work to dal with your obsessive eating, MFP (like any other calorie counting or even a diet) it couldn't certainly help you to turn food logging into an unhealthy and obsessive habit, but it is all in how you use it. I think it is important to limit ones time logging and your time on the site and to make sure you are using it as a tool instead of a crutch. When I first started, I was obsessive and on here all the time, but now that I have a better idea about how many calories are in what foods, I am on here much less and doing a great job sticking to my calories without having to log all day.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP (or similar sites) promote in any way EDs. I believe, though, that having an ED could lead one to be attracted to such sites. But from what I've seen here, any behavior shown that points to ED is addressed with advice to get help, eat more, don't over do it. EDs existed LONG before we could find weight-loss info so easily.
    Just my two cents.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Anytime you focus too much on what you eat, it can develop into an eating disorder. Personally I'm sick and tired of my gal pals always talking about calories and weight gain/loss.

Personally I feel that you should try to cook healthy meals the majority of the time, enjoy the occasional treat and workout to something fun that gives you energy (not just to loose weight). Life is too short to worry constantly about what you you are going to eat, how many calories, numbers on a scale, etc.

I'm loosing weight slowly, but loosing and I am never feel deprived. Yes, I eat the eat healthy, but allow special lunches, dinners, treats into my life style. Just not going to worry about numbers calorie or scale wise. My goal is to be healthy and strong. Some days I eat about 1300 and some-days I eat about 2000. Doing the calorie cycling without even trying and it does work.

I workout everyday because my body craves it now. Either yoga, biking, zumba, sculpting, or swimming. All of which I love to do and never feel like I have to. I have to admit I dread treadmills, bike machines, and going to the gym......that's why I don't to them! :-) I prefer outdoors in nature or pop a video in my dvd player.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to say that most people on the site have an ED... That's why we are here. We didn't become over weight because we have a healthy relationship with food. Whether you eat entirely too much and gain weight, or you don't eat, or you eat and throw up and lose weight..it's an ED.

An ED is a mental disorder which is more extreme than just someone that becomes overweight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Get real... Do I look like the kind of person who would get half naked and then do youtube bodybuilding videos from my kitchen?...My head is on straight...If I'm in the kitchen...I'm eating!

I am so confused. The post + your answer = no sense
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    very true. I find myself getting nervous and anxious the closer my calories get to 1000, as they go above that I kinda freak a bit, not completely sure why, maybe something psychological. I do try to eat at least 1200 but have trouble on some days. Also I dont feel that I need the same amount of calories as some people being that I am so short, only 5'1"
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Everytime I see your user name I think of the first Simpson's Tree House of Horrors: "Well, if you wanted to make Sarauk the Preparer cry, mission accomplished." I literally say that in my head every time I see a post from you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    very true. I find myself getting nervous and anxious the closer my calories get to 1000, as they go above that I kinda freak a bit, not completely sure why, maybe something psychological. I do try to eat at least 1200 but have trouble on some days. Also I dont feel that I need the same amount of calories as some people being that I am so short, only 5'1"

Hmmmm. 2 inches taller than you, 2300 cals to lose today.....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Everytime I see your user name I think of the first Simpson's Tree House of Horrors: "Well, if you wanted to make Sarauk the Preparer cry, mission accomplished." I literally say that in my head every time I see a post from you.
    Lol- everytime I see you post I think of tuna brownies! :laugh:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

:huh: huh?

also...you look like a cat.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Just think of it as another "scooby" joke.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Hell, this site squawks a warning that you and your entire family will be killed if you log less than 1200 calories a day. Furthermore, it adds calories for exercise. It also comes complete with a (mostly) helpful forum full of people preaching eating correctly.

I would say that people who just try to lose weight on their own with no information tend to eat way too little and they think that starving themselves is the only way. That or they invent or follow crazy harebrained fad diets that are always destined for failure. Easy ways of developing eating disorders.

This site, however, promotes nutrition information/knowledge and fitness together. It only takes a little bit of knowledge to diet in a safe and healthy manner.
    I pretty much agree with this ^ I ate 1200 calories for a couple of months before I was convinced to up my calories here. I'm at 1400 now even though I was losing at 1200. I'm hoping I don't gain. But anyway yeah I think it is more likely you'll up your calories rather than lower them here.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    It's no wonder that nobody (at least in America) knows how to eat.

As a child, I was taught that each day I should eat a giant pyramid of food. There was a loaf of bread on the bottom which seemed an excessive way to start... and those unhulled oats, yikes! And that bowl of rice... AND the bowl of pasta.. wow! I'm full already. But then they piled on the entire head of broccoli, the head of lettuce, those carrots and geez... was it a potato? I thought I was ready to explode already but then I had to eat a bunch of grapes, a banana, an apple and an orange. But there were still more layers. I had to eat an entire chicken, a pork chop and an egg. Then I had to drink a glass of milk, eat some yogurt and take on a wheel of cheese. And as if this weren't enough... it was topped with sugar cubes, salt and lard.

Or my parents just took me to McDonald's and got it over with in one fell swoop!
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    It's no wonder that nobody (at least in America) knows how to eat.

As a child, I was taught that each day I should eat a giant pyramid of food. There was a loaf of bread on the bottom which seemed an excessive way to start... and those unhulled oats, yikes! And that bowl of rice... AND the bowl of pasta.. wow! I'm full already. But then they piled on the entire head of broccoli, the head of lettuce, those carrots and geez... was it a potato? I thought I was ready to explode already but then I had to eat a bunch of grapes, a banana, an apple and an orange. But there were still more layers. I had to eat an entire chicken, a pork chop and an egg. Then I had to drink a glass of milk, eat some yogurt and take on a wheel of cheese. And as if this weren't enough... it was topped with sugar cubes, salt and lard.

Or my parents just took me to McDonald's and got it over with in one fell swoop!
    That was pretty much the best post EVER.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I had to use google-fu for that as I did not get the reference (not a Simpson's fan *hangs head*)
  • gingerjen7
    Options

Lol- everytime I see you post I think of tuna brownies! :laugh:
    Huh...I can't say that I think of anything when I see a post from you; I don't even know who you are, honestly.