At what age would you allow your child to use facebook?

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My oldest was 16, the youngest 14.

They've access to technology since the oldest was 4. They are both pros at doing power point presentation and gathering information for school projects.

That said,
    I have passwords and their computer is in the den. The only thing in their room that plugs in is their clock radio.
    With the direction technology is going, kids need to learn sooner if you want them to be able to keep up or have any sort of
    advantage.
    No, I didn't have this stuff as a kid, but there were several things my mom did to give me an advantage in school. If you want your kid to have a chance in school, they need to be able to use a computer by kindergarten.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I intend to raise my children apart from the social media trap. I was raised without a cellphone, without the internet, without social media and I intend to raise my child the same way.

Around 16 or so they will be allowed to have internet access and all that. But until then I am going to do my best to teach my child to interact with human beings apart from electronics. I think that's the best gift I can give my child. especially in this day and age where children text each other but don't know what to do or say when they're face to face.

I agree to an extent, but this is a different world from the one we grew up in. I think there can be a balance of both.

I got my first cellphone at the age of 24. :) I'm very grateful that I grew up in a different world. These days I hear teenagers saying things like: My cellphone is my LIFE!!! And it disturbs me.

Facebook is dangerous. And until someone is mature enough to use it wisely, I don't think they should have it. 16 would be the point where I'd say; I don't think you're mature enough to handle this BUT I am going to let you have it and if you mess up your privileges will be revoked. Simple as that.

Not all teens are like that. My kids do have cell phones and do text their friends but honestly they lose their cell phones and don't notice it until they can't find it to set their alarms. They really are not obsessed with them and use them for communication purposes only.

Same with the internet. My dd has a FB account and literally never posts on it. She doesn't care.

I'm going to say that as far as the internet goes unless you homeschool them you won't be able to avoid the internet. They all have to use the internet for homework assignments from a very early age on. I did homeschool my kids up until high school and even then they had to research things on the internet for assignments. It really is the world we live in.

Bottom line is teaching them to be responsible with the tools available to them. Set limits, stick to your guns and monitor everything. They'll be better off when they do join "the real world".
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Agree! People who think they are going too set an age and monitor everything are delusional.

Please. Technology is one of the easier things to monitor. Just because they might find a way to sneak around you does not absolve you of your responsibility as a parent.

This. Its much harder to track down a keg party.......................
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    Totally agree Drielingda
    Agree! People who think they are going too set an age and monitor everything are delusional.

Please. Technology is one of the easier things to monitor. Just because they might find a way to sneak around you does not absolve you of your responsibility as a parent.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Plus online bullying can become really bad really fast. I think it is way worse than other types of bullying.

I think if my kids told me that someone on the *INTERNET* was "bullying" them, I might just ground them, or smack their behinds for being a doofus.

Wow.

So sensitive of you... no really. You deserve an award for that response.

no. Not really. I'm being sarcastic. Clearly.

Internet bullying is real. Very real to kids especially. Psychological trauma is as real as physical or emotional trauma. If your kid tells you they're being bullied on the internet the more appropriate response might be to turn the internet off, take them aside, and build their self esteem. Not demean them, make fun of their pain and shove them aside.
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    High School
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Plus online bullying can become really bad really fast. I think it is way worse than other types of bullying.

I think if my kids told me that someone on the *INTERNET* was "bullying" them, I might just ground them, or smack their behinds for being a doofus.

Wow.

So sensitive of you... no really. You deserve an award for that response.

no. Not really. I'm being sarcastic. Clearly.

Internet bullying is real. Very real to kids especially. Psychological trauma is as real as physical or emotional trauma. If your kid tells you they're being bullied on the internet the more appropriate response might be to turn the internet off, take them aside, and build their self esteem. Not demean them, make fun of their pain and shove them aside.

Thanks for the award. It's called raising strong, independent kids who don't take crap from others, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

ETA: In fact, my daughter has reported to me the "stupidity" of "idiots" trying to say mean things to her online.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Thanks for the award. It's called raising strong, independent kids who don't take crap from others, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

Hah! Good luck with that. I really hope your kids AREN'T bullied on the internet because clearly if they are they will have zero support.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    My 10 year old has one. He mostly plays Song Pop against me on there. He has like 30 friends including myself, my husband, and my mom. He knows he can only "friend" kids his own age he knows in real life and relatives. No strangers.
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    16-17
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Hah! Good luck with that. I really hope your kids AREN'T bullied on the internet because clearly if they are they will have zero support.

No one *could* bully them on the internet. They are too smart and too strong. It's called high self-esteem and understanding how the internet works. :laugh: :wink:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

This. Its much harder to track down a keg party.......................

Really?! When all of their friends have their own computers and cell phones and email addresses and fake names on their facebook accounts and God knows what else? Um okay. Probably I'm just clueless :)
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    35 years old all 6 of em
  • beccannes
    Options
    min age requirement for facebook is 13 so atleast 13. Maybe older? I haven't really thought about it, my oldest is 7 so we have a long ways to go:)
  • penrbrown
    Options

No one *could* bully them on the internet. They are too smart and too strong. It's called high self-esteem and understanding how the internet works. :laugh: :wink:

*smh* Sure. Sure. Because it's that easy. :) Just keep believing that.
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd say 16...

I don't have any kids but I'd say 16 is a good age.
  • Nerdphiliac
    Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The later, the better.
    Facebook is a massive distraction... If I go could back in time, I would completely erase the thought of getting Facebook...
    If you want your child to be focused at school, wait until they're in their late teens...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

*smh* Sure. Sure. Because it's that easy. :) Just keep believing that.

Just because you are letting your kids be social outcasts and behind the times doesn't mean it's for all parents. My daughter has, in fact, created her own forums before. She doesn't let random strangers hurt her feelings.

*BECAUSE* we have taught our kids how to use the internet and *about* the internet at such a young age, they are *very* savvy. My daughter is a straight A student who knows how to create her own webpage. In fact, when some "mean girls" were saying mean things to her on one of her forums, she created a brand new forum and brought her friends with her. She is above all the petty drama of a typical kid because we have raised her that way.

Putting your kids in a bubble will not protect them. Giving them tools and knowledge is what keeps kids safe.

We talk about *everything*
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Just because you are letting your kids be social outcasts and behind the times doesn't mean it's for all parents. My daughter has, in fact, created her own forums before. She doesn't let random strangers hurt her feelings.

*BECAUSE* we have taught our kids how to use the internet and *about* the internet at such a young age, they are *very* savvy. My daughter is a straight A student who knows how to create her own webpage. In fact, when some "mean girls" were saying mean things to her on one of her forums, she created a brand new forum and brought her friends with her. She is above all the petty drama of a typical kid because we have raised her that way.

Putting your kids in a bubble will not protect them. Giving them tools and knowledge is what keeps kids safe.

We talk about *everything*

Yes, and being dismissive of your child's pain (whether physical or emotional) is hardly a good thing. Like I said. I really hope they are never, ever bullied online. I really do.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    kids will find a way....

i should know, i was once one....

for instance....

the 12 year old goes to their friends house (parents at the friends house don't care if they go on the net)... your 12 yr old kid makes up a facebook account.. voila..

This is why I have all of her friends as friends on my page (I know more about them than she does lol), and occasionally search all of their pages for anything that resembles her (just in case she uses a fake name).............. My poor kid. I was such a wild child..... she will never slide one past me. You cant out fox the fox. :wink:

I don't know, I just don't think it's that easy, especially when some kids have 500 friends, as when I first started facebook I had 600 friends.. friends of friends of friends... hard to keep track at that point. Gotta give your kid some credit when it comes to being smart, I know I was pretty smart in outsmarting my parents.. haha.

I just find it being almost impossible with cell phones, computers, fake email addresses being acquired in a snap. Don't get me wrong, if I have kids, I'd try my hardest to monitor as well, but those who say they don't allow their kid to have one til this age, that which what kids can't have, they try their darndest to get.