Ever get embarrassed about weight loss?!

Options

Replies

• smhaze77
    smhaze77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did at first, but now I don't mind it as much. However I have a new issue with the compliments : Is it that people think I look good and healthy or is it more along the lines of "you used to be fat and now your not as fat, good job" Like if they didn't know me before would they still say/think I look good?
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If someone I know pretty well says something about my weight loss like "Wow, you look good!" Or "Looking sexy!" (The sexy remark is something I've noticed thrown around a lot in the Filipino community no matter what) I'll come back with "What?! Are you saying I looked like crap before?! I wasn't sexy then? I'm just a smaller sexier version of myself now." I always throw a joke at them and the reaction I get is priceless! :) I say it with a serious face and tone (I love to joke around). Almost always I am taken serious. But yeah, it does get annoying at times.
    I did at first, but now I don't mind it as much. However I have a new issue with the compliments : Is it that people think I look good and healthy or is it more along the lines of "you used to be fat and now your not as fat, good job" Like if they didn't know me before would they still say/think I look good?
  • maryannmiclat
    Options
    It used to make me horribly embarrassed until I got back to the size I was before I gained tons.
    someone said before, and its the same with me, as soon as I say I work out 6 days a week theyre not really interested anymore.

When I tell people I workout 6 days a week and count calories they don't seem interested either. I stress to people that since I don't have a job, I have made the gym and focusing on nutrition my job. So now when I do work it'll be easier for me to maintain. I always tell them about MFP, I have shown like 4-5 people how to use the ap on their phones. After like a day they say its too hard and go back to doing whatever.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel, i am awkward with compliments... i never know how to react properly other than many thanks! haha
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What is an NSV?XD

But congrats! I can't wait to get compliments in a few months time :)

Non-Scale Victory
  • AXAGEM
    AXAGEM Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    forgot the quote..
  • AXAGEM
    AXAGEM Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I respond, "Thanks, I am working really hard at my fitness." that tends to stop the conversation. People in general seem to want to know about special diets and magic, they aren't that interested in plain hard work.

I say exactly the same thing for the same reason.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not embarrassed about my weight loss, but I do get embarrassed when I get introduced to people who never knew me when I was fat as "This is my daughter, a year ago she weighed 300 pounds"... I mean... Really???

*sigh*

I just suck it up and gripe about it when I get away from her...
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed that I allowed myself to get so frickin fat. When people congratulate me on my weight loss, I don't know how to take it. It is weight I never should have had to lose and I still have another 50 pounds to be healthy.
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    This issue is hard for me too. It's not that I am ebarrassed or can't take a compliment. If someone gives me a compliment such as "You look great," I say thank you. It's when the praise gets overly effusive or I feel like they are looking me up and down that I feel very, very uncomfortable. And being asked how much you lost is tricky. I think all people carry weight differently so you could throw out any number and no one would know if that's true or not. I think people assume you'd want to brag about your weight loss so they dont' even realize the questions are intrusive.

Mostly, I just try to remember that people usually have good intentions and are genuinely happy for my success and just not very good at expressing it.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I totally get embarrassed when somebody says something about my weight!!!! My dad said to me this past weekend that I look great, and that I must of lost 10 lbs?!! I don't like to talk about it at all!!! I just feel like, " was I that fat before?!" I guess the reality of the matter is that I guess I looked like crap at 201lbs. Sometimes, I just wish people didn't focus on weight so much, but then again it does feel good to be dropping weight....
  • S108HAN
    S108HAN Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get embarrassed all the time, particularly when people make a fuss. I think it's because I realise how bad I must have look before.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Right now I am really keen to get compliments, but haven't gotten any at all. I have only just lost 4.5kg and I was only a bit heavier than that when I stopped doing MFP 5 months ago. So I guess people still remember me being about this size. Although, I know my cloths are fitting much better. I could only just wear a good pair of pants which now are perfect on me.

Biggest thing that annoyed me was last night; I went out to the pub and was drinking water. People ask why I'm not 'drinking' and when I say, I'm trying to be healthy, they always give me this disapproving look. Like "why would you come out to the pub and not drink". If I ever find anyone else in the same situation, I will tell them "great work and it is awesome to see some great willpower".
  • maryannmiclat
    Options
    Right now I am really keen to get compliments, but haven't gotten any at all. I have only just lost 4.5kg and I was only a bit heavier than that when I stopped doing MFP 5 months ago. So I guess people still remember me being about this size. Although, I know my cloths are fitting much better. I could only just wear a good pair of pants which now are perfect on me.

Biggest thing that annoyed me was last night; I went out to the pub and was drinking water. People ask why I'm not 'drinking' and when I say, I'm trying to be healthy, they always give me this disapproving look. Like "why would you come out to the pub and not drink". If I ever find anyone else in the same situation, I will tell them "great work and it is awesome to see some great willpower".

You know what drives me crazy?! When I'm out to eat with a group of people and I order something "healthy" and they make the comment "Oh, you're on a diet?" I'm like "No, I just eat healthy. Today isn't my cheat day."
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    it's a bit embarrassing at the time but still love it.
  • skylark916
    Options
    I get that a lot at work lately. I've dropped a huge amount of weight, particularly in the last 4 months and get comments like "here comes skinny!" To be honest with myself, as proud as I am about what I've achieved, I think I get embarrassed about it because I don't feel like I've lost all that much weight and I'm still very self-conscious about it. :)
  • DankiStar
    Options
    You should be proud! I too get a bit coy, flushed etc when people notice, but then I let them know how I am doing it (and they all ask for info on how I lost it, and get disappointed when I tell them it's healthy eating and exercise!)
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think I feel embarrassed because it's embarrassing to be fat and I feel like I should not have had to lose weight in the first place. Pointing out my weight loss is like pointing out that I was fat.

Exactly! It's OK to say "you've lost weight" but to say "you've put on weight" is basically the same thing. If it's people who I know and love telling me well done etc that's OK - they see how hard I work and know how food/my weight have affected me my whole life. Was just odd from a virtual stranger!
  • GemskiB
    Options
    I have found that when I respond, "Thanks, I am working really hard at my fitness." that tends to stop the conversation. People in general seem to want to know about special diets and magic, they aren't that interested in plain hard work.

This.

It's like they think you must've done something special. It couldn't just have been you working hard, eating right ;)

I think this will be a good response to use. I've never taken a compliment well, but this is a good way of saying I'm getting what I'm working for and we don't need to bang on about it!
  • GemskiB
    Options
    I dont mind it. The only time so far I havent liked people noticing is when someone presumed i'd had surgery as if they didnt believe i could do this on my own!!!!! I didnt even bother replying I just walked away before I hit them

OMG serious?! There have been a couple of posts like this. I mean I know losing a lot of weight is hard and a lot of folk on the TV have had bypass/bands etc. My stepmum had a gastric band but she is the only person I actually know to have had one. SO rude. At least ask how it's been done rather than make an assumption!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!