what do you do while working out?

Options

Replies

• johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What do I do when I'm working out?.............

Usually work out.

^^^^ This. If I can comfortably read, I'm not pushing myself hard enough. If I'm strength training, I'm focused on form and performing each task properly to avoid injury. If I'm going for a run, I'm daydreaming.
  • fit_and_fab_after_kids
    Options
    just gotta have my ipod and im set :) it died the other day during a workout and so did my energy :(
  • queensturg
    Options
    I put on my mp3 player while I do the cross-trainer or treadmill at the gym, I feel like the music gets me going faster :)
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I listen to podcasts. :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out... I work out.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Interesting question... as a rule:

Long social runs and bike rides (anything over 8 miles) - I chat to my friends. one of them has a T-Shirt saying "Run at the speed of chat" which is a great philosophy if all you want to do is rack up the miles....

Running or Cycling outside on my own I never have any distractions... I find I go into a sort of meditative state and can just enjoy the sights and sounds around me as I pass.

Any workout indoors I listen to music. I find it more important for CV than weights... it energises me when I'm starting to get tired (and bored). Weight lifting music is just (pleasant) background noise.

Thinking about sex when I work out is at best embarrassing - especially in my running/cycling Lycra. At worst a guy can do himself a nasty injury with a barbell...
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Between sets of curls in the squat rack I like to flex in the mirror and creep on the female clientele.

When benching my spotter gets a few bonus sets of barbell rows helping me get the bar off my chest.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    on my own... just my workout. no music no nothing.

with my trainer... swear at him ;)

in classes... do what I'm told and try to smile through it!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I lose the most weight on elliptical but I hate hate hate this machine. So I put on my iPod with some music and exercise on the elliptical for an hour. I need some good rhythm to keep me going, otherwise I slow down. Can't do it without music.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just work out. No music, no entertainment.

It gives me time to think. I find exercise is good therapy.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    forgetting the last set and focusing on the next one
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Usually work out.

^^this
  • Kathrynaline
    Options
    I dance as my workout! Put on club music and dance like no ones watching!( Which hopefully no one is! LOL) Then when I'm thin and sexy not only will I have the stamina to go dancing( And won't jiggle like a hot mess) But I'll also know how!
  • kumarshweta
    Options
    at the risk so sounding lik a nerd....i listen to my audio lectures! big exam coming up...:p
  • jimmathyman
    Options
    my balls get sweaty , so i change my pants (:
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Usually work out.

same here....I have my iphone playing music while I'm at the gym but that's mainly so people won't talk to me (LOL Sorry but I'm there to work out not meet people) I zone out while I'm working out and don't even listen to what's playing

I *hate* when people talk to me at the gym! I always think 'if you have breath to talk you aren't working out hard enough'. Might not be true, but it's how I feel.

I listen to my music too.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I jam out to music and dance around like an idiot.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I watch the weights I am about to go to next, thinking "you're next" and so on. sometimes I watch the silly cool kids that flex in every mirror and make sure the girls see them doing it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    sometimes I watch the silly cool kids that flex in every mirror and make sure the girls see them doing it.

Those people crack me up. I was at the gym with my husband once and these younger guys were working out and this one kept flexing in the mirror after every single set.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Usually work out.

same here....I have my iphone playing music while I'm at the gym but that's mainly so people won't talk to me (LOL Sorry but I'm there to work out not meet people) I zone out while I'm working out and don't even listen to what's playing

I *hate* when people talk to me at the gym! I always think 'if you have breath to talk you aren't working out hard enough'. Might not be true, but it's how I feel.

I listen to my music too.

Actually it is true. If you're working out hard you shouldn't be able to carry on a conversation comfortably. Your sentences should be short bursts IF that. If you can then you really aren't working out hard enough.