Inter-racial or multicultural couples out there :)

Options

Replies

• AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    Hey
    I am German (though my dad is Polish but there never was a great influence from that).
    I emigrated to Quito, Ecuador 4.5years ago and that is when I started losing weight. There is (nearly) no prepackaged food or microwave meals here (that was 90% of my diet in Germany).
    Ecuadorian Cuisine isn't always the lightest but I make it more lighter, but it is WAY better than traditional German food with lots of butter and cream, thank God! Once or twice a month I actually preapre a typical german dish, just so my husband knows a bit about it, and of course because of weird cravings.. haha
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You'd hardly call my hubby and I inter-racial, as we're both second generation Aussies, but we have very different ethnic backgrounds, and our food cultures are also very different. My mum is of Celtic descent, and my dads background is Sioux Indian and French. My hubbys parents are Latvian and English. He grew up on heavy European cooking (lots of pastry/bread/meat/potato and biscuits). My parents were pretty much hippies so we ate all non-processed, mainly veggo wholefoods. We've merged our food pretty well. We eat my food, or lighter versions of his for main meals. He supplements with lots of baked goods and breads which I (try to) avoid. I struggle to get him to eat fruit - he just doesn't seem to have the taste for it like I do. When we have cheat day it's always his food. :)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I would glady marry an Indian lady just for the food alone.

People say italian food is the best around, all it is is cheese, tomato and pasta
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm coal black and my wife is super pale, german. Our kids are gorgeous though!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I never seen anyone "coal black".
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I bet they are, with such a great mix!!! :-)
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm Scottish-Irish ethnicity and my husband is from Hong Kong. I grew up with a lot of big greasy breakfasts and I love potato pancakes, cream and jam. My husband never ate butter because it was never in the house. I am picky with food and my husband prides himself on having eaten an ant-eater before... I do love steamed shrimp dumplings and Chinese vegetables though. I'll be living with the in laws shortly and I look forward to embracing their dessert free lifestyle. I'll probably suffer like a crack addict who can't get a hit but oh well... I can always develop a taste for lotus paste and sesame biscuits.
  • chigau_me
    Options
    I'm Russian and my husband is English-Irish :) We met and lived in the Czech republic before moving to England.
    But we rarely eat anything English or Russian, as we are both big fans of Asian food - so we often cook Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai,Chinese and Indian foods :)
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    I married within my race, but my roommate is Korean, and I love trying some of her favorite "home" meals. And I love Kim Chi!

Kim chi................YUCK!!! :frown:
  • racataca
    racataca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm white/American and my husband is Panamanian.

Panama, in case you are curious, is the best. His eating habits have changed a lot since he's been in the US but we still eat a lot of Panamanian food, or as close to Panamanian food as you can get with Trader Joe's ingredients. :)

We speak Spanish at the house, since I learned it from zero to fluent while in Panama.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm an interracial baby (white mom, blonde hair blue eyes; and hispanic father). I know it isn't a couple thing, but I always LOVED the variation in my family. It was hilarious walking around with the last name Valdez and having red hair and freckles... I knew Spanish and got to eat great homemade Mexican xD

Can't say I'm in an interracial couple, (I'm the mixed one here lol).. but my husband is French and I'm American. So I'm all for mixing it up! LOL
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My wife is Vietnamese and I am a white Aussie. I love the Vietnamese food although it isn't always healthy with all the sugar, salt and MSG. My wife is still struggling a little with western food but she is slowly coming around.
  • I'm a Kiwi and my husband is English. Believe me, we are very different. I never realised how different our backgrounds were till we got together.

Fortunately, we like the same grub. :smile: Like chigau, we mainly eat Asian stuff, stir-fries, noodles, rice, curries. And fortunately, roast dinners are part of both our cultures.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Im mexican.. ive never dated a mexican, nor latino in general.. always white , what can I say, im in love with white guys :smooched:

I'm into white guys myself :bigsmile: :love:

But it would be in my dreams to actually marry one *sigh* :ohwell:

never say never!!.. I have a friend that always used to date mexican and just looked in a weird way at me when i was going out with a white guy, saying she would never ever date one.. Well, she married a white guy 2 years ago and they are expecting their first baby now =).. So everything can happen!

I don't like guys from my own culture haha. The problem is my family more than anything, being a girl makes it harder too. I mean going out with them is fine (secretly) but then I feel bad because I have it in the back of my head that it won't go anywhere. I'm still young but I've always thought about eloping haha. Thanks for the kind words though! :flowerforyou: I know anything's possible.

I'm Mauritian and a lot of our culture has Asian influences...including the whole 'guys can marry whoever they like, whereas girls have to marry a Mauritian'. I hate it. I like all kinds of guys, except Mauritian ones and to find a good Mauritian guy that'll make my mama proud are very few and far in between - we're a niche! I also have to sneak around when going out with a guy, cos I know my mum won't be happy if I bring him home. It sucks!! I'm too rock n roll for an arranged marriage either :\
  • BEAUTY4UBEAST
    Options
    <~~~ loves this :heart:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Im mexican.. ive never dated a mexican, nor latino in general.. always white , what can I say, im in love with white guys :smooched:

I'm into white guys myself :bigsmile: :love:

But it would be in my dreams to actually marry one *sigh* :ohwell:

never say never!!.. I have a friend that always used to date mexican and just looked in a weird way at me when i was going out with a white guy, saying she would never ever date one.. Well, she married a white guy 2 years ago and they are expecting their first baby now =).. So everything can happen!

I don't like guys from my own culture haha. The problem is my family more than anything, being a girl makes it harder too. I mean going out with them is fine (secretly) but then I feel bad because I have it in the back of my head that it won't go anywhere. I'm still young but I've always thought about eloping haha. Thanks for the kind words though! :flowerforyou: I know anything's possible.

I'm Mauritian and a lot of our culture has Asian influences...including the whole 'guys can marry whoever they like, whereas girls have to marry a Mauritian'. I hate it. I like all kinds of guys, except Mauritian ones and to find a good Mauritian guy that'll make my mama proud are very few and far in between - we're a niche! I also have to sneak around when going out with a guy, cos I know my mum won't be happy if I bring him home. It sucks!! I'm too rock n roll for an arranged marriage either :\

I know exactly what you mean, and I'm too rock n roll for an arranged marriage as well! haha. But at the end of the day, they will not be living your marriage life and your life in general. Do what you want, marry the guy who you feel is perfect for you and your family is going to have to accept it one day. They will love you no matter what, it's just super super tough but I'm sure it's worth it. I'm scared to know their reactions if I ever do end up marrying someone that's not of my culture, going to get in a lot of sh1t.
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm half Japanese, half Mexican and my husband is Black African (Nigerian)' so we are from very different cultures. My family is mainly Christian and hubby's Muslim but I don't go to Church and hubby doesn't go to the mosque either. Our son was named (you could call it baptised) in the Muslim fashion but attends a Catholic school; he will choose what ever he wants to believe in when he reaches adulthood.
    As for food; I love lots of differents types of cuisine: Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Spanish, Italian, Maghreb (North of Africa), Caribbean etc, etc but hubby is very picky and if he could eat Nigerian food everyday he'd be happy. It's OK for me sometimes but not all the time; but living in London we can eat almost anything we want when ever we want, we are so lucky!! :laugh:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm Black and my wife is Chinese. She has been in the US since she was very young, so there is a fair amount of traditional family culture to which she just hasn't had much exposure. The youngest son has just recently expressed some interest in learning some Cantonese phrases, but I think it is probably just a phase.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread... Nice to read about all the variety! :heart:

I am Puerto Rican born and raised in NYC and my hubby is a White southerner from VA. I introduced him to pernil (roasted pork) and he introduced me to sausage gravy and biscuits…lol His family gives me a hard time for turning him into a “Yankee” :tongue: I think it's great how we can learn from other races/cultures.
  • photochic81
    photochic81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I never seen anyone "coal black".

Me either!? What exactly is "coal black?"