Thanksgiving - What will you eat?

Options

Replies

• Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Everything! It's only one day! I just won't get seconds like I normally would :)
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I will be helping at least 10 people manhandle a 28-lb turkey, which will be in the oven and NOT a fryer. (I'd LOVE to go for a turkey drumstick!) As for everything else, I'll probably do a little stuffing, a little sweet potato, and perhaps a little fruit salad. It's my first holiday season since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, so I'm well aware I have got to be careful about HOW MUCH I eat this time.
  • minsooky
    Options
    I'm Korean so Korean food for me. We'll probably have some ham too, but it's usually just rice, kimchi, bulgogi, sometimes jap chae :) Thankfully the big family meals don't happen until Christmas.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am going to first fill one plate with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn (I will also make several jokes about the corn while eating it), and whatever else I see that I want to eat.

But I'll only fill ONE plate.

Then, when the plate is clean, I'll grab a new plate and fill it again.

I will repeat this process until one of the following things happens:

a) I am in mild pain.
    b) The pie is cut and ready to be served.

If a) happens before b), I will pause until b).

And then I will eat pie.

I will not feel any guilt or remorse after this.
    I will also brag about it on my wall, after not logging a damn thing.

Love your thinking!
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    Thanksgiving is a 3 day event for us. There's the day itself, the day after when we go to the Christmas tree farm and Saturday when we decorate the house. Since it's just the 3 of us (and I always cook way too much food!) there will be leftovers for days. So I'll be eating a bit of everything for a few days. But I'm so used to eating smaller portions that I don't see myself overdoing it.
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will eat anything I want. "How much" I eat of what I want will be different this year. I am planning on putting more healthy foods on the table (like a vegetable & fruit tray, replacing yeast rolls with wheat rolls) along with the other traditional foods, this way I have more of a choice. I will also take a walk after dinner instead of taking that nice nap. I don't plan to log in my food on Thanksgiving day. Hope everyone has a good holiday!
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    turkey turkey and more turkey with limited amounts of stuffing potatoes and huge quantities of beans corn and stuff.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am going to first fill one plate with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn (I will also make several jokes about the corn while eating it), and whatever else I see that I want to eat.

a) I am in mild pain.

And then I will eat pie.

You, sidesteel, are my hero. I will giggle all day thinking of this post and then show it to my husband because he will think it is hilarious as well.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

a) I am in mild pain.

And then I will eat pie.

Laughing so hard my stomach hurts!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    ditto. 1 plate. i don't need more food than can fit on a plate. I will log my food though and just have a smoothie and egg for breakfast and soup for dinner. I anticipate Tday meal to be around 1000 calories.
    I intend on eating just about everything that looks good, but just getting one plate instead of seconds/thirds. I couldn't imagine logging food on Thanksgiving and I don't intend to.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    We're going out this year so I'll probably over estimate what I'm eating and do a quick entry. It's just one day and it's not going to ruin me, and I'll probably throw in a couple extra trips to the gym the following week or two. Same will be said about Christmas.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    1dUq2.gif

^_^ this lmao. i so just busted out laughing in the library ^_^
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bring a Lean Cuisine and sit in the corner eating it and glare at everyone else for daring to eat in front of me.

SABOTAGE!!!!
    hahahaha this.is. great!
  • Rangarth
    Rangarth Posts: 121
    Options
    I am going to make Apple Cider and Ginger Brined turkey, with cauliflower and broccoli in swiss cheese sauce, along with candied carrots and parsnips, and some celery root/potato/pear mash. Dessert will be vanilla yogurt ice cream and small piece of pumpkin pie.

Turkey = 543 cal, cauliflower/broccoli = 177 cal, carrots/parsnips = 159 cal, potato mash = 229 cal....meal = under 1100.

So plan on a early day of walking around the neighborhood.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Everything.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My first plate will have a pile of turkey, white and dark, then a mound of mashed potatoes, a goodly portion of stuffing, maybe a few green beans, a decent slathering of gravy over all of it.

My second plate will be similar to the first, with just slightly smaller portions than the first time around, and likely no green beans.

Then my dessert plate will have a slice of pumpkin pie covered in just whipped heavy cream and a slice of pecan pie next to it.

But before I even get to the plates of food I will be picking at the crispy bits of the turkey where the stuffing and the skin of the cavity have fused together into this glorious mix of bread and crispy fat. I am infamous in my house for attacking these areas as soon as the birds come out of the oven.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    1dUq2.gif

This image has been in my head all month! So excited :D:D:D I only get these foods once a year, and I am PUMPED!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    I plan on eating what I normally eat every thanksgiving. Turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, yams... I know there will also be stuffing, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce, but I hate those and therefore won't touch them. And I'm going to have pie for dessert. And I'm not going to log it either. I am going to enjoy myself after all these weeks of working hard to stay under my calorie goal, and I know I'm physically incapable of consuming enough food to gain back weight in one day.

BUT, I will only have ONE plate of food. And ONE slice of pie.

(Well, on the actual day... eventually I'll have more than one serving total thanks to leftovers. I will track those when I have them.)

Actually... I might go ahead and track Thanksgiving dinner. Just to see what it comes out to. LOL!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5K with my siblings Thanksgiving Morning, a healthy tradition we started last year. We're dressing up as Pilgrims for the race. After the race? Pffft! Whatever floats my gravy boat.

As a side note, it's usually not Thanksgiving Day that's the killer. It's all the beer the night before, the leftovers, eating out on Black Friday, eating Marshmellow Mateys for breakfast because you're at a relatives house and don't want to be too much of a burden, eating out while traveling. etc. It's all the other stuff that happens when your routine is messed with, and family and freinds are in town. This is the stuff I'm more worried about that actual Thanksgiving.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My MIL's stuffing is the bomb..I know it has at least 2 sticks of butter..it will be my big splurge:bigsmile: Some turkey breast, a bit of ham, some cranberry sauce, 1 roll, yes, with butter. carrots and celery with dip. I will most likely skip most of the "veggies" cooked southern style in butter and cream(casseroles). Dessert will be something she actually serves as an appetizer. Pumpkin cream cheese dip that has 1 box of powdered sugar in it and full-fat cream cheese. It is so good.