Marathon Newbies Group week three!!!

Options

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Seems like everyone is keeping up and running when possible and some great race times, WAY TO GO everybody!
    It has been a strange week for me 3days running I came down with bad stomach cramps and barely made it home..... not so good. I've kinda been in a funk - runs seem harder and my legs and feet feel like bricks. I am stil trying to keep up with my schedule as the ING is coming up in a little over a week. I received lots of encouragement from fellow pub runners last weekend. Word is the course is pretty hilly but I should be fine they all say!

Chenoachem- the socks are WONDERFUL! I love them and am so glad I ordered 3 pair. Thank you for the recomendation.

Chrissy- I'm sure there will be hundreds at the ING but would be nice to meet up. It sounds like I might be right around your pace group. I'm hoping for somewhere around 2:45 ish. Email me at amy_wayco@qsp.com and I'll give you my cell number.
    What socks?!?!?!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    ING atlanta - Pretty hilly - now I am a little freaked!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Chenoachem ......I hope you are feeling better today!
    Chrissyh....My 1/2 is really hilly also. I have been training on a lot of hills...nothing beats getting to the top and having a view!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    me and AmyDoesIt have been talking offline and we're gonna try to pace together - how exciting is that
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Seems like everyone is keeping up and running when possible and some great race times, WAY TO GO everybody!
    It has been a strange week for me 3days running I came down with bad stomach cramps and barely made it home..... not so good. I've kinda been in a funk - runs seem harder and my legs and feet feel like bricks. I am stil trying to keep up with my schedule as the ING is coming up in a little over a week. I received lots of encouragement from fellow pub runners last weekend. Word is the course is pretty hilly but I should be fine they all say!

Chenoachem- the socks are WONDERFUL! I love them and am so glad I ordered 3 pair. Thank you for the recomendation.

Chrissy- I'm sure there will be hundreds at the ING but would be nice to meet up. It sounds like I might be right around your pace group. I'm hoping for somewhere around 2:45 ish. Email me at amy_wayco@qsp.com and I'll give you my cell number.
    What socks?!?!?!

Somewhere on an earlier post, I brought up the socks that I use. I get blisters all the time until I started using the double layered socks listed somewhere in this topic.

They are awesome. I am glad they are working out for you.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    ING atlanta - Pretty hilly - now I am a little freaked!

I am sure you will be fine. Staying relaxed will help you be more effecient. Enjoy it.
  • AmyDoesIt
    AmyDoesIt Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi everyone, Happy Monday!

The socks are wright socks and they are awesome- Thanks again Chenoachem for the recommendation! They have saved my feet. Chrissy- I bet they would have them at the expo this weekend if you can't find any near you.

ATL - ING 1/2 countdown has begun - less than a week away. Can't wait to meet Chrissy and keep each other going!

I had a hard run yesterday 10 miles (pretty hilly) at trail near by- dear hubby rode his bike with me and kept my pace finished right under 10 min. mile! I couldn't believe it. My left knee is a little sore today but today is a strength day - no running.

Don't stress too much over the hills is what everyone is telling me too.... don't look up, keep your head down and propel forward you get to the top in no time. It is very MENTAL for me! WE CAN DO IT!

I hope everyone has a fabulous week of running and training. My goal is to eat right, get plenty of rest (esp w/time change) and follow my training probram to be in top shape for Sunday morning!

Chrissy - how was your 12.75 run this weekend?
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I did 7 miles in the cold pouring rain yesterday! Including 2 hills, one VERY large hill, I thought it would not end! I wore a jacket that I believed was waterproof...nope! I wasn't letting anything stop me:) It felt great!
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    WOW.... you go Princess! That is awesome- I love your determination.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    12.75 was good - seemed easier than the 12 miles week before. Hopefully will be a breeze - sunday :huh: -well it'll be great to see AmyDoesIt for sure!!!

I'll have to look for the socks!
    Keep running girls!
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Chrissy- that is encouraging to hear that it seemed easier- Good for you!
    My knee feels back to normal today (thank goodness)- looking forward to a great 4mi. run this afternoon - today's hi should be almost 60. YAY......

Does everyone elses training program have them tapering off and resting the two days prior to running the half?
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Hi All! Did 5.62 miles at lunch today in 52 minutes! It is beautiful outside, loved running in the rain the other day, but will take the sun at 58 over it!:)
    AmyDoesit-my training plan has the few days before the 1/2 being very laid back. You need to store your engergy I assume.
    I just want to say good luck to you and chrissyh! I hope you both hit your goals! I can't wait to hear about them next week!
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Great Job Princess! Keep up the good work you are going to do fine in April. Yes, love the weather here too- hope it holds up for Sunday morning!

That does make sense to store up the energy- just a little nervous I suppose.

Gymrat or anyone else- have any tips for us 1st timers since you already aced yours!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I am planning on rest days Friday and Saturday before we run Sunday - maybe walks but no runs, weights or step class...nothing strenuous.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Good Luck Ladies on your 1/2 marathon. I wish you an exciting experience and an injury free run. :happy:
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm new on this site. I just decided a couple of weeks ago to dust of my running shoes and start running again. I started out running 1.5 miles and felt like i was going to blow a lung. Today i ran 3.2 miles thinking it was a 5k...it wasn't but i did it in 36.02 mins. I want to run the Stinson Beach Marathon in nov, however i have to train hard because of the hills. Is it just me or does this happen to you guys too... slow down your mile time and increase distance? I ran 2.5 miles at a 10:20 min mile and i ran today 3.2 at an 11:25min mile. P&L Lisa
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Is it just me or does this happen to you guys too... slow down your mile time and increase distance? I ran 2.5 miles at a 10:20 min mile and i ran today 3.2 at an 11:25min mile. P&L Lisa

Welcome.

Exactly the idea for training. I do three different types of workouts in a week; Easy runs (conversational pace and low distance), Speed runs (tempo or interval) and long runs. The easy and long runs are at about the same pace.

Do you have a running program you like?
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    I'm not really on a running program yet i'm just trying to get my running base going.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    AmyDoesIt - did you see it's supposed to rain Sunday!:huh:
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    AmyDoesIt - did you see it's supposed to rain Sunday!:huh:

Up-side: You wouldn't have to worry about overheating during the race. Just think how good a warm bath at the end would feel and go for it.