• Lady_Senie
    Lady_Senie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well said! Thank you fr the inspiration ^_^
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I currently have this "phrase" as my profile pic NOT because:
    I want to be skinny ...and just so you know...I don't nor have I ever had an eating disorder ...(other than occasionally losing track of the quantity in relation to my exercise..which is why I'm here now)

but because:

the holidays are approaching and I can easily lose sight of my long term goals of getting fit, toned and "thinner" than I am now....because a lot of butter, flour, sugar and mayonnaisse are in sooo many of the beloved traditional recipes that I grew up on and LOVED...so... as I'm balancing the holidays with some traditional treats and many new recipe treats....

REMINDING myself that giving in to an unhealthy, momentary love of something will keep me from reaching my long term goals...I personally find the phrase to be helpful to see the big, long term picture...

It's short, sweet and catchy...

even though the substitutions for switching out "skinny" for "healthy" or "toned" or "whatever" are logistically proper and correct..it poetically doesn't roll off the tongue as smoothly..

so..when you hear or see someone posting or quoting this phrase...please realize it's not necessarily someone depriving themselves of healthy food & exercise ..it could just be someone like me, exercising my own brain to realize that showing a little restraint in immediate gratification is a whole lot healthier when I keep my eyes on the bigger picture...

Good wishes to everyone..on our shared goals of living and enjoying life to the best of our abilities...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Vanity goals are fine. They aren't the be all end all, but they are part of being a whole, well rounded capable and accomplished human being.

Absolutely agree.

I actually get as much out of pulling a certain weight deadlifting, not having back troubles, etc etc etc as the weight loss itself. It's all part of the package - getting fitter, getting stronger, getting healthier and looking hotter - they can be done at the same time and are inter-related. But imo, will not be if you just focus on the 'getting skinny' part.

ETA: :flowerforyou:
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    "How healthy feels" are the words I substitute :) Great post
  • CellophaneFlowers
    Options
    My personal mantra recently is "There is nothing that doesn't taste better when you eat less of it."

I'm not about deprivation or restrictive diets. If I want to eat something, I'll eat it. The trick is in reminding myself that no matter how badly I want it, 95% of the enjoyment will ALWAYS be derived from the first bite. Anything after one or two bites is only worth it if I'm eating it for nutrition and not just enjoyment. When I have just one piece of chocolate, one cookie, one piece of bacon, etc., every bite I take is a rich, vibrant experience. It does taste as good as being healthy feels, and compromises nothing.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's all part of the package - getting fitter, getting stronger, getting healthier and looking hotter - they can be done at the same time and are inter-related. But imo, will not be if you just focus on the 'getting skinny' part.

That is true. Even if my goal is to get slim, I am getting stronger and healthier in the process. And I'm thankful for all of those added benefits that come along with the territory. I'd still like to eventually be in a place where health is my ultimate goal, but that's just not where I'm at right now. Thanks for the feedback, everyone :flowerforyou:
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My personal mantra recently is "There is nothing that doesn't taste better when you eat less of it."

I'm not about deprivation or restrictive diets. If I want to eat something, I'll eat it. The trick is in reminding myself that no matter how badly I want it, 95% of the enjoyment will ALWAYS be derived from the first bite. Anything after one or two bites is only worth it if I'm eating it for nutrition and not just enjoyment. When I have just one piece of chocolate, one cookie, one piece of bacon, etc., every bite I take is a rich, vibrant experience. It does taste as good as being healthy feels, and compromises nothing.

Yes very true! If I want chocolate, I have a small square of really nice Green and Blacks. It's all about moderation.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    ^I love Green and Blacks! Hooray for fair trade chocolate :)
  • wolvesmom52
    wolvesmom52 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well said!:happy:
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part. But there's nothing to say that "skinny" is unhealthy for everyone, or that it was achieved in an unhealthy manner.

agreed...^ and it's hard to separate out the likeliness of just a little subtle resentment of those who are naturally skinny (and i am meaning naturally able to keep their bodies physically looking 'good' without having to go to extreme measures).
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well said!!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Completely. Awesome. Post.

You rock, OP!!! :heart:
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Amen! Preach!
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Love this post! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just realized I eat bacon pretty much every day. It's so delicious *drool*
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I totally agree but at the same time I know that "Thin" can mean "not fat anymore". And I'm all all the positive things listed AND not fat anymore. I'll keep it too. No amount of eating everything I want all the time is worth being fat again. I can eat anything I want, just not all at once, and just not every day. It was true for the weight loss phases, and it is true now for maintenance. Nothing tastes as good as reaching this goal, nothing.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    OP - you speak wisdom :flowerforyou:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    You rock!!! :drinker:

Edit to add, "Skinny is going to feel really good, and I accomplished it by tasting everything (in moderation), so there!!!!" :tongue:
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!