what is the latest time i should eat?

Options
nazish17
nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
i have heard from a number of sources that you gain weight if you eat after 7-8. how true is this?
does anybody avoid eating late, does it help?
#

Thanks

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    i have heard from a number of sources that you gain weight if you eat after 7-8. how true is this?
    #

Thanks

As long as you're tracking and not overdoing it on the snacks, the only reason to avoid eating late, apart from those doing intermittent fasting, is if it causing some sort digestion problem for you while you're sleeping.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I last ate at 3am today.
    You can eat whenever you want, meal timing is irrelevant to weight control, provided that your calories are constant.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    #

Thanks

If eating after 7-8 puts you at a calorie surplus then it's very true. If you are still at a deficit and eat after 7-8, it's not true at all.

The net amount of calories consumed is what matters. Meal timing has little affect on weight loss. Eat on whatever schedule keeps you on track with your calorie goal.
  • Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you eat. You should eat protein and no carbs for dinner.
  • nazish17
    nazish17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!

(:
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    #

Thanks

• arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I watch Dr. OZ and they day not to eat after 10 PM
  • shanitat
    Options
    Personally, I dont eat after 7pm
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your body runs on a 24 hour clock.

Here's the deal:

My husband and I have both always been a healthy weight. I'm active and I use MFP to maintain or lose a little during my busy travel times. We always eat dinner at around 8:30pm. Think of countries in Europe where it is common to eat at 9 or 10pm! They don't have the obesity issues we have here in the US (typically...I'm talking about areas where people live a long time and have a healthy active lifestyle)
  • Onesnap
    Options

Dr. Oz is paid by various products and advertisers. He's like a walking advertisement. Better to use an impartial source. I like the healthy section of the NY Times and The Salt. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/
  • Onesnap
    Options
    #

Thanks

If it were true than my husband and I would both be overweight. We typically eat dinner at 8:30pm and snacks after (we go to bed around 11pm)
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night for a small snack. It's all just a matter of maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. That's all.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    1. That dude is as much of a Dr as Dr. Phil is. Both are TV schlocks.

If you're burning more than you eat, it doesn't matter when you take it in. Being at a calorie deficit isn't reliant on a clock.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat until I'm either not hungry or until I fall asleep. "Don't eat after x time" is bull****, even "Don't eat z type of food after x time" is bull****. Stay within your goals and you'll be fine.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    1. That dude is as much of a Dr as Dr. Phil is. Both are TV schlocks.

If you're burning more than you eat, it doesn't matter when you take it in. Being at a calorie deficit isn't reliant on a clock.

THANK YOU. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Oz is a quack
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think that myth stems from the fact that many people eating after 7 pm have already had their full amount of calories for the day, and the later snack creates a calorie surplus.

I leave myself a little bit of calories for a snack later in the evening, because I'm a nite owl and like to have something around 9 or 10. It fits in my calories, I try to make it healthy snack, and it hasn't been hurting my progress.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I think that myth stems from the fact that many people eating after 7 pm have already had their full amount of calories for the day, and the later snack creates a calorie surplus.

I leave myself a little bit of calories for a snack later in the evening, because I'm a nite owl and like to have something around 9 or 10. It fits in my calories, I try to make it healthy snack, and it hasn't been hurting my progress.

I get home from yoga around 9:30 and Zumba around 7:45. I HAVE to have dinner after working out. So yes, I have room in my day. The timing of the eating is irrelevant. There have been studies published recently about this exact topic.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    #2 - how late you should eat depends entirely on your schedule. the main thing you need to do is be sure to eat first thing in the AM to kick start your metabolism.
    This has been shown to be entirely true - though until fairly recently was 'accepted'.

The reality is that yes, it does - but your metabolism will be slower later.
    You will burn more energy early from eating 300 calories of food and 300 later - but you will burn just as many in total that if you have that 300 calories with another 300 calories 4 hours after you got up.

Often the 'wood for the fire' analogy is used - and it works this way too. If you use twice as much wood later, twice as much heat is produced later with none earlier - at the end of the day, the same heat in total is produced and the same wood burnt.