Thanksgiving Strategy?

Replies

• joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    If we try to eat healthy 50 wks out of the year, then Thanksgiving and Christmas, we should be able to eat within reason and enjoy our families and the holidays.......
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    since I'm hosting, everything will be cooked healthy. Plus my Sister in law and family are glutten/dairy and sugar free so I have no choice but to cook healthy.

I will eat what I want in moderation, enjoy a glass or two or three of wine as well.

With that said, I plan on some early morning gym time or an early morning run, followed by a post Thanksgiving hardcore workout!
  • Since i just stated this journey yesterday. i just hope i have enough will power to have portion control and not go crazy.
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    That's what you do with your right hand. While that's going on make sure your left hand is combining stuffing and mashed potatoes on the fork so it's at the ready.

Um, how do I hold my glass of wine then?

That's what the straw is for :happy:
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    I'm banking calories now so I can eat what I want on Thursday
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    "How do you plan on eating this Thursday? Careful as ever? Rules out the window? Somewhere in the middle? Happy Holidays!"

All of the above!
    Careful on the sweets & desserts
    Rules out the window when it comes to the turkey
    Somewhere in the middle with the Wine & Spirits (maybe just one glass vs two or three)!

I've entered my menu into my diary and I'll be going over my daily calorie goals for sure, BUT
    I'm planning an extreme workout Wednesday & Friday so I'll break even by Sunday lololol.

Happy Thanksgiving :-)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    turkey trot 5k in the AM. stuff face and drink wine in the PM.
  • I plan to eat more veggies than any other year in the past (healthfully prepared ones), be active, and indulge mindfully.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Run in the morning, eat what I want in the afternoon. Repeat Friday.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Eat eat and repeat all Turkey Day long. Then Friday - back to healthy sensible potions, logging everything and working out.
  • I found some great recipes to keep me on track. Skinny Mash Potatoes, Skinny Green Bean Casserole, usual Turkey (only eat 4-6oz.), gluten-free biscuits. I'm cooking everything, and I'm soo excited to see how it turns out. You can find the Skinny recipes online. Just Google!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    I SAID DON'T LOOK ME IN THE EYES!!!
    :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Eat what I want and not bother to track it.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Eat everything in sight.

I only am going to eat the stuff I don't get often like crazy. Dsg esp
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Making everything myself from fresh ingredients. Not worried bout going over at all.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Somewhere in the middle. I'm eating with my folks and my dad is diabetic and Mom has no desire to health up any of the food. But with Dad's diabetic and diverticulitis dietary restrictions, it's really not gonna be all that bad anyway and it's only us 3 this year. So turkey(I won't eat dark meat or skin anyway), gravy, sweet potatoes made with sugar-free syrup (yes, Splenda), steamed broccoli and cranberry sauce and stuffing, although Mom did allow us to talk her into using whole grain white bread for the stuffing (she fought, though lol). It's too much for me to start making demands, Mom wants to cook and my time is limited with them so not worth it for me to battle for ONE DAY! And because I've gotten into the habit of eating several small meals and snacks throughout the day, I won't be able to eat too too much in one sitting anyway. And once everything is away I'm too lazy to make another plate later so I should be good. Even the pumpkin pie is no sugar added and pumpkin is chock full of fiber lol
  • This is a topic I can speak to! I began my "journey" last year 2 days before Thanksgiving. My goal/plan is to eat a light breakfast in the morning (oatmeal & coffee). Then I'm participating in the annual Solano Turkey Trot 5. Then I'm going to 2 people's houses for Thanksgiving. My intention is to moderate what I put on my plate and also to note what I have consumed and be brutally honest on MFP. Given that Thanksgiving is my 1 year anniversary of this journey I will indulge slightly but I do not plan on going drastically over my calories.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    to eat whatever the heck i want to...

ill add an extra workout on Wednesday but that is it...

i didnt lose 129lbs by dieting...

why is Thanksgiving such a big deal when it comes to food?

if you have a healthy relationship with food then it shouldnt be a problem...
  • DL717
    DL717 Posts: 31
    I'm running a 5-mile race in the morning, then eating pretty much whatever I want the rest of the day. :happy:
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    I plan on having a few bites of everything. Very modest amounts, Just enough to kill the cravings!
  • rodrians
    rodrians Posts: 5 Member
    going to spin class in the morning.

eating everything at dinner, including the brie made macaroni and cheese

drinking lots of wine

eating pie and donuts in the morning
  • Gobble gobble....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    DON'T PANIC!
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Constantly reminding yourself that you can always eat another serving the next day! :heart: & distributing my food throughout the day into small meals as I do now :smile:
  • 1. GYM
    2. BREAKFAST
    3. WORK
    4. CHEF SALAD
    5. GYM
    6. WHISKEY
    7. SLEEP
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I plan on eating out. .. That's exactly how I meant it.
  • Well I'm in Texas right now so I will be spending it with the devil in-laws and they can't cook...so I don't know if I will have a problem this year HA!!! :devil:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Same as my Christmas strategy: eat until I'm satisfied, stop before I feel like I ate too much.

After watching what I eat for several months, I find I don't have the same appetite I used to have. I'm really not going to sweat one day.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 775 Member
    I am working Thursday (till 11:30pm)
    hubby is making a ham and some side dishes, so I can eat when I get home ..as I have to go back to work at 5am (I am a walmart cashier) ..

I plan to simply eat normal portions, and plan to take left over for lunch on Friday :drinker:
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I am cooking for 20 people! We live right across the street from tennis & volleyball courts, and I have 6+ racquets for people to go play while I cook. I am running them out of the house.

- Roasted whole turkey
    - 2 turkey breasts
    - 1 ham
    - 1 beef roast
    - mashed potatoes or whole, bakes potato "bar" (Having a "bar" is goign to allow people to control their toppings and calories)
    - sweet potato "bar"
    - salad with lower fat dressings and olive oil/vinegar
    - green beans blanched and lightly salted (no butter)
    - broccoli steamed and lightly salted (no butter)
    - whole wheat dnner rolls
    - boxed stuffing (made w/ chicken stock instead of fat.)

-red, white wine & light beers
    - diet sodas and diet iced tea
    - milk

- fruit & veggie tray

- fruit & pumpkin pies

THat's how I roll for Thanksgiving.