Options

Replies

• clb26
    clb26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good.
    Weight lifting is good.
    Cardio + Weightlifting = Best

Add flexibility, and you've hit the fitness trifecta. The sum all three together is greater than the sum of the parts. I don't know why people waste time arguing about the relative merit of any one piece of the fitness pie, when the whole should be the goal for everyone.

Yup very true. That is why it's suggested to do both plus stretching. It's all for your health.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not an "either/or" question.

Fitness preferences go in trends and cycles. I am always amused at those who are currently infatuated with HIIT and go out of their way to denigrate steady-state cardio. They don't realize that steady-state cardio arose as a recommended form of steady-state exercise in response to the overuse of HIIT training in the 1960s. Or the recent popularity of "functional" type exercises and modalities that were popular 100 years ago. The fundamental research behind "tabata" workouts was done 50 years before Tabata designed his research protocol.

Overall, resistance training is an important and essential part of overall health and fitness, but it's not the only thing. And there are plenty of different ways to do it.

Agree with all that. I guess I'm lucky that I get bored easily and I'm constantly switching from one exercise to another to keep myself interested enough to do it. I think the only exercise I could do every day not be bored would be hiking in the mountains. But Mother Nature prevent me from doing that every day.

And now I gotta go Google "tabata workouts".
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I feel that the weights get more important as I age. Without them I could be at a healthy weight with my body sagging.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling :) I have ended up doing Cardio through nessecity [I have no weights and no money for a gym pass and even if I did I think I'd feel more comfortable on the Cardio tbh :/] Glad I'm not the only one :D
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I personally do both...however I used to do nothing but cardio and lost lots of weight off it...if you like it..you see results and it makes you happy...keep killin it :)
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This makes we want to put on bunny ears and go to the gym. lol!
    I've never heard "cardio bunny" before. =D
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    It's my experience that anyone who says one type of exercise isn't good for you, or is a waste of time...usually has a financial insterest in you being interested in another activity. In other words, they're trying to sell something.

When I lift, do steady state cardio (running/cycling/swimming), do one session of HIIT per week, stretch in the evenings, and eat properly, I am really happy with my progress. All of this takes up my me time, and all of it clears my mind and gives me a high.

What ever your activity. Make sure you're challenging yourself and don't just go through the motions. I get more upset over someone going through the motions in their activity as opposed to what they're actually doing.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree. Lots of great suggestions here - but in the end if you like it you'll do it. It's that simple.

Alot of those cardio DVD's also sneak in weight bearing exercises ~ so it's kinda not like doing weights but you're getting all the benefits. Those people who design the workouts are GENIUS!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I believe in ..whatever works for you and what makes you feel good ..that is the fitness routine you can and likely will stick with for life. Everyone's goals are different and what they enjoy is different.

I'm a walker and that will always be my fitness love. I've discovered weight lifting and I must say I've found a new, complimentary love. I'm competitive in nature and strength training really speaks to that . jumping around cardio, pounding away on a treadmill or elliptical ..I'd NEVER stick with that. All I I can think about is "when is this OVER?? ". Lol

Thank goodness we all don't have to do the same thing! Do what works for YOU
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling :) I have ended up doing Cardio through nessecity [I have no weights and no money for a gym pass and even if I did I think I'd feel more comfortable on the Cardio tbh :/] Glad I'm not the only one :D

If you truly want to do strength training - you don't need weights or a gym membership. Your body weight is all you need. Body weight routines for FREE at NerdFitness.com . There is also a book You Are Your Own Gym that is excellent.

Just an FYI
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Agree with all that. I guess I'm lucky that I get bored easily and I'm constantly switching from one exercise to another to keep myself interested enough to do it. I think the only exercise I could do every day not be bored would be hiking in the mountains. But Mother Nature prevent me from doing that every day.

Hiking is my all time FAVORITE too.. you must be from the north, like me.. (northwest to be more specific.) The rain is such a bummer sometimes!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do both. Resistance cardio and lifting = awesome sauce.

I love running and cycling, but I also love that my arms look like
    <---- that.
  • Tayloral6899
    Options
    <---Cardio junkie, running, cycling, swimming, anything that gets my heart pumping. I just enjoy it and the feeling from being outside doing my thing!

ABOVE!

LOL! Never did before! No matter how much I tried to encourage! I'm committed and going to continue my cardio, running, cycling, now just going to try to build muscle!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

If you truly want to do strength training - you don't need weights or a gym membership. Your body weight is all you need. Body weight routines for FREE at NerdFitness.com . There is also a book You Are Your Own Gym that is excellent.

Just an FYI

Spot on. I do feel that a lot of people looking at the best way to train for health, physique and weight loss are put off the idea of STRENGTH training because they keep reading - on here at least - that they have to lift WEIGHTS, but it is simply not true. Bodyweight exercises are open to everyone and are not as limited as weight lifting fans would have you believe. Bodyweight exercises are NOT the poor relation of the strength family and they are really addictive once you start.

I have the book You Are Your Own Gym and can really recommend it; working through it myself.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    What I'm seeing a lot in this thread is "If you don't like it, you won't stick with it, so don't do it." Isn't that a self-fulfilling prophecy then?

People who lose weight and keep it off don't simply find something they like and ignore the things they don't like. They change their attitudes about fitness from a childish "I'm only going to do what I want" to a more mature "Being fit means doing things I may not want to do."

It is also not true that we're all unique snowflakes and different types of exercises work differently for each of us. That's some postmodern pyschological BS. Short of a medical/physical condition, the only thing that is different about us is our starting point and our mindset. The effect of the exercise on our bodies is not radically different from one person to another.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What I'm seeing a lot in this thread is "If you don't like it, you won't stick with it, so don't do it." Isn't that a self-fulfilling prophecy then?

People who lose weight and keep it off don't simply find something they like and ignore the things they don't like. They change their attitudes about fitness from a childish "I'm only going to do what I want" to a more mature "Being fit means doing things I may not want to do."

It is also not true that we're all unique snowflakes and different types of exercises work differently for each of us. That's some postmodern pyschological BS. Short of a medical/physical condition, the only thing that is different about us is our starting point and our mindset. The effect of the exercise on our bodies is not radically different from one person to another.

True. And our opinions change as we get more fit, too. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY who is totally untrained likes running. It's hard. But lots of people LOVE running- and every single one of them at some point forced themselves to lace up their sneakers and just get through it until they came to love it eventually.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Love Cardio . . . 49 pds lost in 50 weeks ALL done with cardio only . . . weight lifting to be added after my one year goal of " on one year of cardio" and see where my weight ends up - goal was 50 pds, so I am right on track.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I feel that the weights get more important as I age. Without them I could be at a healthy weight with my body sagging.

This is especially true for men over 40. Typically men will lose about 1% of their lean muscle mass per year after 40, resistance training is pretty much the only way to mitigate this loss.

Having said that my favourites are running, riding & rowing with a couple of strength/weights sessions a week.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    nvm, nothing good comes out of arguing with a closed minded person
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I've lost a whole lot of weight doing and eating what I want. I've done it healthy, and while I still have a way to go, I'm looking pretty damn good. I've been doing this for 19 months. If I was doing exercise that I didn't like and eating foods that I hated, I would have been finished 18 months ago.

I find your above statements inaccurate and judgmental.