Wrong Names??

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    OP, Maverick gets to call you Goose in return.

Bill, its not that hard, but I get called Phil a lot. My last name, its just butchered.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My name is Angela and people call me either angel or hey you. :grumble: when my last name was green (i got married took hubby's last name) people would say "greene right?" no....it was spelled like the color.

And then my son people confuse for a female because of his hair (he has a full head of hair and then some, none has fallen out), his eyes, his eye lashes (weirdest thing) and because of when my hubby dresses him (my hubby is color blind and so when he puts certain things on him, it makes him look like a girl) :laugh:
  • Rozieq84
    Options
    My name is Rose. Simple right? I get Ruth ALL the time!? Why? I couldn't say.
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    Im Keri, but i get Terri, Kelly, Kaley, etc, all the time. it drives me nuts!! i dont think i say my name that weird... K.E.R.I really, like BERRY!!! FFS.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This was a FB topic yesterday. A friend of a friend named Siobhan said she's been addressed in e-mails as Soybean.
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My name is Mari... like Mar-eeeee.

I get Marty a lot. LOL
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My first name is Amoreena. But I've gotten:

Anne Marie. Anna. Andarina (thanks grandpa). Amaretto. Amarillo (I'm apparently a city in Texas). Emereena. Emily.

Then there's the people who butcher it so horribly I can't even begin to understand what they are saying. If it's a telemarketer or something and it's so terrible I can't understand it, I usually just say 'she's not here'.

My last name, Schindler, doesn't help much either. However then I just have people asking to see my list so whatevs.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    My sons GF's name is Venus, my wife is from Korea and they do not have a "V" sound in their language so, they usually pronounce "V" as "P"..........sooooooooooooooo .......ummmmm......:laugh:

OH MY!! WTG on your weight loss....good job!!

I've read thru these and haven't seen any Sheila's. The spelling gets butchered a lot, but I've been called Sheena, Shera, Shelley, Sharie, Sharon...some of them I get, but others I just SMH!

In high school I had a teacher who called me Shannon, she combined the first two letters of my first name and the end of my last name. When she called my name, everyone in the class knew who she was talking to.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My name is Gigi, a guy that always used to call us would call me Stacey. After correcting him a few times, I just gave up
  • joanna_02
    joanna_02 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My name is Mackenzie. I've been called McKennedy, Maxine, and even Magazine (Really!!:huh: ).
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My real name is Krystalyn. My mom pronounces it like its krysta+lynn but people also say crystal+lynn. I HATE it. I hate the name krysta it makes me think of a dumb bimbo from an 80s movie and I hate Crystal just as much. People will look at my name written down and call me Crystal ALL the time. Like the last two letters of my name aren't there. I worked at this one place for over two years and my boss who saw me every day never got it right. I just hate the name, its too annoyingly girly.

A friend of mine in the 7th grade started calling me K C for my initials and I've been Kasey to friends ever since. When I get introduced to new people by anyone other than my parents (who insist on using my given name) I'm introduced as Kasey and many of the people that I know now know me as Kasey and don't know my legal name at all. I prefer Kasey greatly, I prefer its gender neutral nature and the easy spelling and pronunciation.

Having an odd name and being with someone with a very common name (my SO is Matthew) we were very careful when choosing names for our three children. We didn't want to use the most popular names (because its annoying when there are four other people with your name in class, as Matt learned) but we wanted to use what we considered to be real, solid names (unlike my name which is gibberish).
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    a collegue at work is called Verene (said VER - REN), she either gets caller verne or lorraine or verenie
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    My name is Melinda and I get called Melanie, Melissa, Michelle, Linda, I even get called Rhonda sometimes. Not to mention, I've worked at my job for 7 years and my boss STILL calls me Melissa. :grumble: I don't even correct people anymore. If you want to believe my name is Melissa, then call me that. I don't even care.

I usually just go by "Mel" to make it easier. :tongue:

My last name is a whole other ball of wax. No one in the entire world can pronounce it. So I usually go by my maiden name which is pretty easy.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    My name is Mackenzie. I've been called McKennedy, Maxine, and even Magazine (Really!!:huh: ).

Sorry for the double post, but.....

Magazine :laugh:
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My sons name is Shea. Sh - a. He gets She - a most of the time.

Some people also think he is a girl.

We have to say its like the Mets old stadium in NY...Shea Stadium a lot.

and here I thought I was doing him a favor "americanizing" his name from Xie - Xie (thank you in Chinese).....sigh.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Also, just because.... My husband's name is Bryantle. Pronounced Brant-Lee. It really is Bryant-Lee, but his mom is a hillbilly and pronounces Bryant as Brant so she just thought the spelling was cute and didn't understand how much of an issue it would be. Some people call him Bryant-Lee, but the majority call him Brittany (only an issue if someone calls for him "I'm calling for Brittany" "Uh, no it's Brant-Lee") or Bry-Antle (think 'mantle')

And yes, that does mean my husband and I both get called Brittany. Strange name screw-up coincidence.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I typically just tell people I'm "Lori" because "Lorina" gets butchered so bad. Pretty much I'll answer anything that begins with an L.

My neighbor still thinks my name is Lenore, but he has beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so I'm not going to waste my breath correcting him.

My mom has a similar problem. She's a Lori too. Her full name is Lorien. It was supposed to be Loreen but they messed up her birth certificate and her parents couldn't afford to get it fixed. People think its Lori-en or Lor-ryan.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My name is JULIA. More often than not, I get called Julie regardless of how I stress the A at the end of my name. I've also been called, Judy, Julianne, Juliette, Jolie

...and my least favorite JULES. If I did not introduce myself to you with a nickname, who are you to assign me one? I like my name, do not shorten it.
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My maiden name is Thull (pronounced Tool). Every single year on the first day my friends and I would all take beta on how many teachers would pronounce it wrong.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Having an odd name and being with someone with a very common name (my SO is Matthew) we were very careful when choosing names for our three children. We didn't want to use the most popular names (because its annoying when there are four other people with your name in class, as Matt learned) but we wanted to use what we considered to be real, solid names (unlike my name which is gibberish).

My husband and I were the same way. Me being 1 of 5 Stephanie's in my grade (only 75 people in the grade too) and him being... well, not even a real name literally no one else with a social security number has his name spelled the way it is. We chose normal, but not popular names.