skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• cathyenb
    Options
    I hate breakfast but have made myself start eating it, when I wasn't eating I was finding it really hard to get going and take my vitamins.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    For me, skipping a meal is setting myself up to make bad choices at the next meal.

yep, if I don't eat breakfast or very little I tend to eat tons mid afternoon
    same for me plus I'm miserable, get headaches and feel shaky. Then I'll grab the first thing I can find and scarf it down.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat breakfast. If you think you might go over your cals try doing what I do. I make my food log the day BEFORE that way if it fits on paper I know it will fit in real life and to make sure I don't for get anything I print it.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here skip breakfast to save more calories for later in the day? Was it hard for you to adjust at first? I really want to do this because I hate when I use up calories so early in the day but I'm pretty hungry in the morning. Or maybe my body just expects food because its used to eating within like 5 seconds of waking up. Any tips on adjusting? Thanks

Yep, and it works well. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I go to a nutritionist: she says never skip breakfast or any meal. She prefers I use the program that breaks your eating into three hour segments. She really believes in that; Also keep calories to at least 200 at breakfast & lunch. She says our body will be tricked into going into 'starvation' mode if we don't keep it up...burning up the muscle & not the fat. I used to have trouble at the end of the day, but now I don't using this method. Listen to when you are hungry. Look at the other area of the myfitness program, watching the sugars and salt distributions & amounts, proteins & fats as well; it gives you the amounts you need, tells you when you go over or under...I really like this part of the program. I know when I am in the 'red' for salt I usually am up in weight the next day. Actually this program tells us when we will go into 'starvation' mode so pay attention to that too.

If it works for your for adherence, great - keep doing it. However, no offense, but I would get another nutritionist. You body does not go into starvation mode in any way shape or form by not eating every few hours.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I go to a nutritionist: she says never skip breakfast or any meal. She prefers I use the program that breaks your eating into three hour segments. She really believes in that; Also keep calories to at least 200 at breakfast & lunch. She says our body will be tricked into going into 'starvation' mode if we don't keep it up...burning up the muscle & not the fat. I used to have trouble at the end of the day, but now I don't using this method. Listen to when you are hungry. Look at the other area of the myfitness program, watching the sugars and salt distributions & amounts, proteins & fats as well; it gives you the amounts you need, tells you when you go over or under...I really like this part of the program. I know when I am in the 'red' for salt I usually am up in weight the next day. Actually this program tells us when we will go into 'starvation' mode so pay attention to that too.
    MFP is not a program. Its a tool to keep track of your calories. It doesn't matter when you consume those calories. I would get a new nutritionist.
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i was a "breakfast skipper" until i ended up in the emergency room at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN..... finding out i was hypoglycemic, and was told by multiple physicians, "SKIPPING THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY (BREAKFAST) CAN LEAD TO DIABETES, EITHER START EATING BREAKFAST FROM THIS DAY ON, OR I WILL MORE THAN LIKELY SEE YOU IN 3 YEARS AND YOU'LL BE ON INSULIN!"
    Thats all it took, and ever since i have something every morning. protein shake, fruit, granola bar...something!
    i know, not everyone is "wired" the same, and this situation may not happen to you... but read up on it. Breakfast is important to everyone, infant thru 110 years old! dont skip a meal to save up for later in the day.....
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have to say I used to skip breakfast. Now it is a must do item. I'm not really hungry in the morning but with being hypoglycemic if I don't eat something I go too low and bad things happen.

I know people who eat 6 times a day and lose, I also know people who only eat 2 times a day and lose. You have to do what works for you.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    i was a "breakfast skipper" until i ended up in the emergency room at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN..... finding out i was hypoglycemic, and was told by multiple physicians, "SKIPPING THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY (BREAKFAST) CAN LEAD TO DIABETES, EITHER START EATING BREAKFAST FROM THIS DAY ON, OR I WILL MORE THAN LIKELY SEE YOU IN 3 YEARS AND YOU'LL BE ON INSULIN!"
    Thats all it took, and ever since i have something every morning. protein shake, fruit, granola bar...something!
    i know, not everyone is "wired" the same, and this situation may not happen to you... but read up on it. Breakfast is important to everyone, infant thru 110 years old! dont skip a meal to save up for later in the day.....

Yes breakfast is extremely important. However i just like to have it at around 12pm.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    leangains.com
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For me, skipping a meal is setting myself up to make bad choices at the next meal.

Ditto. I skip breakfast and then ditch the healthy lunch I brought to work and go out for a calorie filled lunch instead because I'm so hungry!!

And I'm just the opposite. If I eat breakfast I have trouble controlling calories all day. It is all individual preference, compliance and workout performance. There is no metabolic advantage either way.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Since doing MFP I have made a point of eating breakfast. It stops me running for bad choices at the vending machine. The few calories I would save bit not eating breakfast would be more than exceeded eating junk if I didnt. Might not work for everyone but it works for me
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I heard if you skip breakfast you will go into starvation mode and die.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't, it depends how I feel when I get up. But don't think there are any health benefits either way.
    What works for one, may not work for another.

i'm the same way
  • mmapags
    Options
    When you eat, you increase your metabolic rate by up to 30% (depending on what your eat) for about 3 hours, therefore if you eat breakfast you're increasing the amount of calories you're burning for that time, so yes it does effect your metabolism.

On how many different threads are you going to post t hreads are you going to post this nonsense. Do you have any clue of the difference between TEF and Metabolic Advantage. TEF is the same if you eat the same amount of calories in a day not matter how often you eat or when. It just doesn't matter. You are chasing straws to believe this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have been skipping breakfast for about eight weeks now and doing hte lean gains 18/6 ..it works really well for me..and on some days I eat a normal breakfast..usually satruday or sunday...

so far I have lost about 1% body fat and seen strength gains..i eat about 1800 to 2200 calories a day ...

You can skip breakfast as long as you get your macros in for the day ....
  • mmapags
    Options

Nonsense!
  • mmapags
    Options

If it works for your for adherence, great - keep doing it. However, no offense, but I would get another nutritionist. You body does not go into starvation mode in any way shape or form by not eating every few hours.

True! Starvaton Mode from postponeing one meal??? Come on!! If your nutritionist doesn't know better than that, you need to find one that was paying attention in school!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes regularly. It suits me to save my calories until later. If you are interested as this as a way of eating you can read more about leangains or 5:2. There are groups on this site and information on the net.

It is very hard to imagine that the human body evolved with a dependence on 3 meals a day, in fact its just not credible to belive the body has to have breakfast to function. Also the habit of 3 meals a day and eating something called breakfast is something recent in human history.

I have to agree with you ! ive been skipping breakfast for months now at first it was to do with IF but i now do it so i have more cals for later. i can go a long time without food but the thing i do find is , as soon as i eat i just want more and more doesnt matter whether i have breakfast or not but i just prefer to do it like that. I find i feel a bit hungry at some point in the morning but it soon goes away Your metabolism is going all day long it doesnt need a kick start lol
  • amuseboucheUK
    amuseboucheUK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hadn't eaten breakfast for years until I started my new regime ... I'm running every other day and weightlifting on the days between ... I have found that if I skip breakfast I feel too tired to exercise effectively ... so now I have a three rasher bacon roll (no butter or sauce just lots of fresh cracked black pepper) when I can for my running days and a 30g bowl of fruit and fibre with half a pot of yog for my non running days ... I find a miso soup and a rice cracker is enough to see me through lunch and then I can exercise on an "empty" stomach and have a normal meal with the kids at tea time (we have 7) and don't need the late night snacks ...