skipping breakfast

Options

Replies

• merctech
    merctech Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been skipping breakfast for about eight weeks now and doing hte lean gains 18/6 ..it works really well for me..and on some days I eat a normal breakfast..usually satruday or sunday...

so far I have lost about 1% body fat and seen strength gains..i eat about 1800 to 2200 calories a day ...

You can skip breakfast as long as you get your macros in for the day ....

I skip breakfast everyday, I usually dont eat anything until about 1-2pm doing IF. I still get my 2200 kcal per day, but have closed my window down to 4 hours so I'm done by 6pm. This really helped during Thanksgiving, I was able to only have my window open during dinner and everything worked out great. I started IF on OCT1 and have lost 35 lbs. as of my last weigh in.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It takes not eating for about 72 hours for "starvation mode" to kick in ....leangains.com
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I did not eat breakfast prior to joining MFP. I eat breakfast now and I lost weight, Coincidence? A filling breakfast is just about 250 calories and you can walk that off in no time....
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I have a sneaking suspicion those of you who keep saying "it revs your metabolism" don't really even know what a metabolism is.

For the record, blood sugar and hunger DO NOT EQUAL metabolism!!!

Millions of people go without breakfast every day, and their metabolisms are just fine. Stop spewing nonsense you've been conditioned to believe from the cereal industries!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I did not eat breakfast prior to joining MFP. I eat breakfast now and I lost weight, Coincidence? A filling breakfast is just about 250 calories and you can walk that off in no time....

Did you track your calories before joining MFP?
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    T me breakfast is essential. If I am going to skip a meal or go light on a meal, it will be dinner, the last meal of the day. Breakfast is important.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I skip breakfast because I ate more the night before. Take thanksgiving. I ended up eating about 500 calories over, plus I had 5 beers after midnight into 2:30 am. When I woke up at 7:30, I was not hungry at all. I just waited till I was hungry again to eat ( which wasn't till 1 pm the next afternoon). It doesn't happen like that every day, but there may be good reasons to skip breakfast.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I have just coffee for breakfast. I don't get hungry until I've been up 3-4 hours.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

correlation DOES NOT EQUAL causation.

I started using a new shampoo about the time my sex drive increased. Thank you Paul Mitchel.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't skip breakfast because coffee is the most important meal of the day.

yes! Agree!
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I only do this on football Saturdays because I am horrible about chicken wings. I love them. I know, regardless of whether I have breakfast, I will want a lot of them. That's really the only time I skip breakfast. Really, I blow 70 calories a day on coffee creamer. But, it's my splurge thing.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    people fail to realize its only been in the last 100 years or so that there was actually enough food on the table to have "breakfast"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    T me breakfast is essential. If I am going to skip a meal or go light on a meal, it will be dinner, the last meal of the day. Breakfast is important.

please explain to me why breakfast is more important then dinner?
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i always have something for breakfast , if i know i am going to be going slightly higher on cals on lunch or dinner i will eat a lighter breakfast like today i was having a subway as a treat while out for the day with my daughter so ate a slightly lower cal breakfast
  • merctech
    merctech Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find that eating breakfast makes me more hungry through the day. This causes me to eat snacks before and after lunch, thus under cutting all of what I am working for.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat breakfast but it's mostly because I'm not hungry and I eat most of my calories late at night before going to bed. Yes, that's right. I violate the 2 cardinal sins that that mass marketed diet advice would have us believe. Good thing for me, it's just a bunch of nonsense.

If you believe that you have to east breakfast to kick start your metabolism, I've got some ocean front property...
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Correlation does not imply causation :) ^^
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast because I prefer eating most of my calories at night.

If anyone has anything research based that indicates that breakfast consumption has any net effect on metabolism that wouldn't otherwise occur with those calories eaten later, please share.

As of now I have not seen anything research based that confirms this.

Diet induced thermogenesis is not based on frequency or meal timing, period.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

No.....I would skip breakfast and was in a bad mindset that I had to eat bigger lunches or dinner to make up for it....I was a big fatty :)

I'm not here to debate the health benefits of eating or not eating breakfast, I just find that the rhythm I am in, which includes breakfast works for me. Everybody is different, hence why some people can eat the worst high calorie foods all day and be skinny as a rail and others contract diseases and become obese.

I say as long as you're losing (or gaining if that's your thing) do what works for your body......
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

No.....I would skip breakfast and was in a bad mindset that I had to eat bigger lunches or dinner to make up for it....I was a big fatty :)

I'm not here to debate the health benefits of eating or not eating breakfast, I just find that the rhythm I am in, which includes breakfast works for me. Everybody is different, hence why some people can eat the worst high calorie foods all day and be skinny as a rail and others contract diseases and become obese.

I say as long as you're losing (or gaining if that's your thing) do what works for your body......

If the rythym you are in works for you, great! I'd strongly suggest that the reason you have lost weight is you started tracking calories. Whatever works for compliance and workout performance is optimum. But there has been no evidence of metabolic advantage and your experience is anecdotal and has more to do with compliance and preference.