picture of 4 yr old of what the school calls "Obese"

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Things are obviously just black and white for many people.

I think so! Lawsuits being suggested for a school offering a parent a convenience service that she could decline. This child clearly will develop an eating disorder, because the school obviously told her she is obese and at four she knows exactly what that meant.

And now I have "Ya got trouble" from the Music Man stuck in my head. :explode:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    This is pretty ridiculous tbqh, she's a beautiful little girl, and if she's active, she has a good amount of muscle. There is nothing wrong with a child having strong muscles and strong bones.

The school is so so wrong in this instance.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I am kind of disturbed by this post. This is a little girl and already she is being subjected to heightened sensitivity about her looks.

There is something terribly wrong with an education system that uses a BMI scale for children.

I think the best thing for kids is to teach them about making healthy choices, and living a life making as many healthy choices as possible. This also forces us as parents and mentors to get out and make those choices with our kids. Getting a healthy dose of activity, eating good foods and knowing that it is ok to indulge once in awhile while we discipline ourselves not to do it all the time.

If the school wants to promote good health, then it should provide good sports and recreation programs that encourage kids to be kids and learn the joy of teamwork, play and discovery.

Do this, and she will grow up healthy in mind and body.

I totally agree. My mother told me I looked fat when I was wearing size 5 pants. Just not what we need to do to our daughters and granddaughters. Now add the school to this equation!!!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    f i think she looks like a cutie patootie 4 year old that is healthy and not malnourished. I did go to a website called keepkidshealthy.com and entered her stats.

This is what the site said NOT ME:

A 4 year old (female) child who is 44.0 pounds and 3 feet and 3 inches tall, has a body mass index of 20.4, which is above the 95th percentile and is considered to be overweight.

I would really like to know what they think her weight should be. Nothing like a school teaching a 4 year old that she is too fat for this world. We can thank the fashion designers of the world for their female portrayal that anything above a size 6 (adult) is plus-size.

I'd also ask the school to provide you with the nutrition information for the foods that they are feeding your child everyday! If they have the right to access children's weight etc, then you are certainly entitled to the nutritional values she is receiving while in school.

I call BS!
  • andybhoy72
    andybhoy72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Her BMI is 20.3. That is perfect. Not obese, or even overweight. What did her school say exactly?

Actually, it isn't. The BMI calculation is different for children - it takes into account the age of the child - I just checked on a bmi site using the supplied details. It came up as obese and in the 99th percentile.

I hate the BMI - she looks like a perfectly lovely healthy little girl. She's tall for her age (I think?) and I guess the BMI places morefocus on weight and age for the under 18's.

The BMI is old fashioned and out of date imo.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There were many responses to my post that the school says my granddaughter is too fat. Here is a picture of her. Granted she is not a skinny little girl but I do not believe this is "Obese" (thier word). She weighs 44 pounds. But I think it is because she is solid and not fat. I checked her height myself and she is 3 foot 3 inches without shoes.

121124-110455.jpg

She is perfectly fine and adorable. Just make sure it is brought to the attention of her pediatrician just for a second opinion. Thank the school for their concern but no home visit is required unless her parents would like to get some nutritional advice for free. If they persist then you escalate it.

Don't listen to all these harpies going on and on about the government and taxes and eating disorders or $$$uing the school district or whatever nonsense. These are the same people that would be shocked and outrage if a school ignored a child that abused, or being starved, I'm mean what business is it of a school if a child is getting skinnier and skinner because their parents choose to feed them an all fruit, fat free, liquid diet ?

These people spend a lot of time with out children and they should raise concerns with parents. Believe it or not it is their job also to have our childrens' well-being in mind(now if they are right about it or not is debatable) and they can be held liable if they have observed and choose to ignore a physical or educational concern with a child that might be occurring in the home.
  • Kejlina
    Kejlina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Baby fat. As long as she's active and eats all the food groups, what does it matter? It'll probably fall off in a growth spurt.

I think instead of focusing on "how big is the child", schools should be focused on "how active is the child". Get her into dance or gymnastics or karate or hockey or baseball or SOMETHING so that she learns how to feel comfortable and strong in her body. That's the healthier approach than getting hung up on numbers, in my opinion. :)

Edited to add: She is adorable, by the way.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    In whose book is that beautiful child obese?!?!? Don't let those labels mess up her life! Tell her she's gorgeous!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Her BMI is 20.3. That is perfect. Not obese, or even overweight. What did her school say exactly?

Actually, it isn't. The BMI calculation is different for children - it takes into account the age of the child - I just checked on a bmi site using the supplied details. It came up as obese and in the 99th percentile.

I hate the BMI - she looks like a perfectly lovely healthy little girl. She's tall for her age (I think?) and I guess the BMI places morefocus on weight and age for the under 18's.

The BMI is old fashioned and out of date imo.

For children it is strictly percentiles. Something like 95-99% of children her age would weigh less than her. I didn't check the numbers, but I would guess that a significant number would be shorter than her as well. They aren't saying overweight compared to her height, it is overweight for her peers. The school guidelines likely don't allow them to make that distinction when doing the screening. A good pediatrician would filter that out of the equation though and would be more interested at her growing at a consistent rate over time both height and weight.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You have an adorable grand-daughter and I'm sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.

Aside: I bet the principal or the nurse are both more obese than this child. Just sayin.

Either that or they were obese at one time, lost a bunch of weight and now like to throw that word around every chance they get.....I have seen it happen....swear!
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Your granddaughter looks perfect to me!! She is not over weight or obese at all. She looks like a healthy little girl! My daughter will be 4 in January. Her current height is 42 inches and she weighs 49 pounds. Yes I know she is a big girl and has a little tummy, but i don't think she looks fat. At a checkup with her doc in June, I asked about her size. she is in the 99% for weight and 95% for height. I was told she is the size of a 5.5 year old. But she also told me that her weight is fine. She is active and keeps up with the other kids and that is all that seemed to matter to the doc. All kids and adults are built differently. I sure hope your daughter has a talk with the school and this all goes well. I hope I don"t have to deal with this sort of crap with my daughter.
  • andybhoy72
    andybhoy72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A 4 year old (female) child who is 44.0 pounds and 3 feet and 3 inches tall, has a body mass index of 20.4, which is above the 95th percentile and is considered to be overweight.

I used a different site (uk nhs site) which may be different - it gave a very similar result (99th) but said that the BMI is converted to a centile for kids - maybe the US does things differently and still uses a figure.

Either way, there's nowt wrong with her!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why no one is outraged at the fact that the school is even doing tests on kids without permission? Our kids couldn't even take advil without a note from parents!! who do they think they are?? Why is it that just because they are educators they automatically know everything!! leave kids to parents!!!:grumble: :explode: :angry:

They have been doing these test on kids since before I was born. They are called health screenings, weight, height, posture, dental, vision, head lice, etc. And you used to take fitness test in PE. You can opt in or out.

Did I miss something? Did the nurse sit the child down and tell her she was a fat slob or something? Don't understand the faux outrage.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    Why are people on here saying she's chubby? Kids should not be labeled as anything but BEAUTIFUL!
  • conleeper
    Options
    I think she's adorable and the jerks at that school can kiss your *kitten*. What idiots....
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I think it's all pretty silly, she looks healthy to me! Also, she's SO CUTE!!

I have three stepsons. The older two were always skinny, even when they were little. The youngest was chubby by comparison (but not really) and when he hit his first growth spurt (he's about to turn 13), he grew out of it. I wouldn't worry about it all unless her pediatrician disagrees.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think she's an adorable little girl!

And I think it's terrible how there have to be "labels" at such a young age.

Why can't they let kids just be kids?
  • JessMySize
    Options
    Aww, she's adorable. There seems to be nothing wrong with her in my eyes!
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    She is probably all muscle, dont listen to the school, she is adorable! :D

Also OMG POMERANIAN <333
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but she is not even chubby, she is perfectly healthy looking. SMH***