even when i eat right i feel super guilty

Options
so all together i have lost 90 pounds.... my goal was a pants size 6 and i am actually in a 4.... but i still cant help but feel just super guilty about eating..... any advice on this....

Replies

• wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    LOL depends on what you are eating? If you are eating clean/healthy and are meeting your macros and staying within your calorie limit and exercising... no reason to feel guilty! Enjoy the new skinny you... you earned it!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Professional help, no sarcasm.
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i just wanted a bit of advice.... im so used to being a size 14 i still feel that way.... no reason for you to be a ****
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I agree, if you've gotten down as small as a size 4 and you feel guilty about eating, even when eating CORRECTLY that is, there's something wrong emotionally or mentally.

For comparison, I've never felt even slightly guilty about anything I ate, no matter how bad it was. Even when I was 300lbs. That's just a recipe for a major eating disorder.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

He really wasn't trying to be rude by saying this.
    Honestly, I agree. You need some cognitive therapy. These kinds of thoughts aren't healthy to have. You shouldn't feel guilty about something you HAVE to do just to live. Seek some professional help- they will give better advice than any stranger on MFP can.
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't think they were trying to be a ****. You said you feel guilty about eating food. That's kind of like feeling guilty about breathing oxygen, and you do need help.
  • gomezlisa
    Options
    Don't let food run or dictate your life. You are doing well. Keep it up! :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't think the person who said professional help was being an *kitten*. I think they just said it bluntly. Maybe if you talked to someone they could help get to the bottom of why you feel guilty. I don't really know what to say, except, awesome job on reaching below your goal! Keep eating healthy and KNOW that you have to eat to live. You worked hard to get to where you are. Losing 90lbs will definitely help you live a longer life. So enjoy it and don't stress over eating. You must eat to live. : ) And again, congratulations on losing your weight.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. It took me a long time after I hit goal - May 2012- to realize that eating more wouldn't make me a size 14 again. The only thing that will is completely losing control and eating the way I used to, which I don't feel like I could. I'm still aware of what I should eat - what is a serving size - what's realistic and every day I'm in awe of the fact that all my jeans say "size 4"...I've NEVER been a size 4, I swear I went from a kids 14 to an 8 when I was 13...LOL

But I do have to say that because of this guilt I lost more weight that I wanted to. Now that I'm used to this size I don't want to gain to go back to my goal weight - that's the scary thing. I know my goal weight was still an amazing weight for me, but now that I'm used to being under a certain number, I can't let myself put on more than 3 pounds before I freak out...

It will all get easier, but when you are feeling guilty just remember you'll NEVER go back to that size 14 girl because you have way more knowledge and power now than you ever did before!
  • ThePartyGoblin
    Options

No, really, he's not being rude, he's being honest. You shouldn't feel guilty about fueling your body, giving it what it needs to keep you alive. Talking out your food issues with a professional will do you a world of good. They're more equipped to help you than strangers on the internet.
    Good luck.

[edit] Please don't think we're calling you crazy or anything by suggesting you seek help. EVERYONE needs a little help now and then.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    i just wanted a bit of advice.... im so used to being a size 14 i still feel that way.... no reason for you to be a ****
    Actually that's not a bad answer. I had the exact same kind of loss, and I still struggle with this guilt and paranoia. There's nothing wrong with needing help.
    These issues can be hard to wrestle with on your own.
    If you are eating within your allotted calories, you shouldn't feel guilty.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    those that said professional help were being helpful

it is not normal to feel guilty when you are eating the way you wish to

nothing wrong with getting help.

but for those issues, and many have them, not just you, a forum like this with so little information, is not the place
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this response is SO defensive it makes the professional help sound even more like the right answer...
    you obviously have issues that need to be worked through and cannot even stand to hear the truth.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I think 'professional help' was meant as kind and honest advice. It sounds like you might have an unhealthy relationship with food if you feel guilty about eating. It probably stems from fear of regaining all the weight you've lost. Trust me... I've been there! I did seek professional help in the form of counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy.

These days, I'm able to enjoy a cupcake or a couple pieces of pizza without feeling any guilt. And that's how it should be. (or... at least how I believe it should be)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    those that said professional help were being helpful

it is not normal to feel guilty when you are eating the way you wish to

nothing wrong with getting help.

but for those issues, and many have them, not just you, a forum like this with so little information, is not the place

THIS^^^

I am putting in my bit for some professional help.

There is *something* going on in your head that is making you feel guilty for eating, even if it IS healthy. It is better to have a few sessions with a therapist now rather than waiting until you have developed an eating disorder.
  • Morenna
    Morenna Posts: 49 Member
    Options

If you can't accept an advice, don't ask for one ;)

If you feel guilty eating right, you definitively need help.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Since when is seeing a professional to discuss the feelings you have toward food an insult?

YOU attacked him...nice.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Like they said, I wasn't being mean. There's no shame in needing some help. It doesn't sound like you're in a healthy place.
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. It took me a long time after I hit goal - May 2012- to realize that eating more wouldn't make me a size 14 again. The only thing that will is completely losing control and eating the way I used to, which I don't feel like I could. I'm still aware of what I should eat - what is a serving size - what's realistic and every day I'm in awe of the fact that all my jeans say "size 4"...I've NEVER been a size 4, I swear I went from a kids 14 to an 8 when I was 13...LOL

But I do have to say that because of this guilt I lost more weight that I wanted to. Now that I'm used to this size I don't want to gain to go back to my goal weight - that's the scary thing. I know my goal weight was still an amazing weight for me, but now that I'm used to being under a certain number, I can't let myself put on more than 3 pounds before I freak out...

It will all get easier, but when you are feeling guilty just remember you'll NEVER go back to that size 14 girl because you have way more knowledge and power now than you ever did before!

this is what i needed.... im not obsessive over it but damn, sometimes i feel no one gets it.... i got my mom and dad trying to shove food down my throat all the time.... im not lookin to lose any more just to tone up some!!!! and get rid of this nagging feeling of "getting fat again".... if i want to eat something bad i do... i just dont again for a long long time lol... my husband will not let mme go too far... either way big or small... but what this tought me is that i need to be careful what to post, or ask because some people will take it the wrong way....