THIS is how hard it is to reach 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    To be fair, some people having eating disorders and telling them 'eat more!' is about as unhelpful and potentially harmful as telling someone with depression to 'be happier!'.

^THIS. Not to mention.. the site of it makes them want to purge.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    People are still responding with the fact that they eat less than 2100...

Giving up
    *face palm*

Read my above comments lol

Yeah I read them
    Your post doesn't bring anything new to the table, so to speak. You belong to the "eat more" camp of people. Yes, we understand that eating under 1200 calories isn't recommended, that's why MFP doesn't automatically set your goal less than this. We get it. Who are you trying to reason with?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I also am on a 1280 diet and I am on my feet for 12 hours at work and I work out twice a day. So no, I am not trying to avoid working out. I have this calorie limit because it is what works best for me.
    And yes, there are days where I go over my calories, depending on how many calories I have burned.

How do you know that?

At your activity level and with so little to lose, your energy intake is like that of a short, middle-aged woman who has 100+ pounds to lose and 50% body fat to burn. How do you honestly know that you wouldn't feel better eating a much smaller deficit and losing more slowly?
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if I ate 2100 calories per day without burning most of it off, I would blow up like a balloon. There ARE petite tiny people out there who can appropriately eat lower amounts (I eat about 1400-1600 calories a day) and be fine. I'm not sure what my maintenance calories will be since I still have a few pounds to lose, but I still don't think it's ever going to be 2100 calories. Yikes.
    Yeah I read them
    Your post doesn't bring anything new to the table, so to speak. You belong to the "eat more" camp of people. Yes, we understand that eating under 1200 calories isn't recommended, that's why MFP doesn't automatically set your goal less than this. We get it. Who are you trying to reason with?
    The point <

Your heads <
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Ok, I Hate to stick my head in the lions mouth -

But none of that really looks appealing. I mean, it has nice rich vibrant colors, it's packed full of nutrients, it's probably got a stunning balance and all the right macros...

Annnnnnd there's really not much chance of me taking the time in the kitchen to prepare that. It's not appetizing for me, I'd rather just bake a chicken breast and steam some broccoli or green beans and force them down, because what I really want is... like, deviled eggs with a dash of paprika and some mustard in the filling, or pasta with a nice white sauce, Popcorn covered in butter, a STAKE, or pork chop.. a nice roast Ham with a honey glaze or scalloped ANYTHING. Mashed potates made with butter and cream with salt and a touch of fresh ground black pepper (even though salt is now OUT for me)

I guess my question would be, how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?

And what is wrong with the things you want to eat?

Eggs are good for you....mustard isn't bad, a little mayo won't hurt either.

Pasta is a great source of carbs. Nothing wrong with some alfredo sauce now and then. I eat popcorn covered in REAL butter almost every day - hasn't hurt my weight loss. Steak and pork chops are a great source of protein, and ham isn't bad for you (just drink extra water to flush the salt). I eat potatoes all the time....110 cals for a filling side? Yes please!

You need to reevaluate your opinion of "good stuff".

I agree. Those all sound better to me than the colorful stuff the OP posted, stuff that looks like it belongs in a magazine or something. Gimme my steak and tators! :smokin:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

But none of that really looks appealing. I mean, it has nice rich vibrant colors, it's packed full of nutrients, it's probably got a stunning balance and all the right macros...

...because what I really want is... a STAKE

Well, there's your problem. You prefer eating wood.

Dang...we were so close to having a mature conversaiton. Maybe tomorrow *shrug*. Later, y'all!

fqVhf.gif

You're on fire today, lady! I'm impressed! Go you! :smokin:

yBwD8.gif
  • secretlobster
    Options
    The point <

Your heads <

Interesting choice of formatting
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The point of the topic isn't to say that everyone needs to eat more than 1200!

To quote the OP:
    Again, I'm not saying everyone needs to eat 2000 calories,.. YES some people can eat 1200 calories!! This was for those that claim they have a problem REACHING 1200 calories, and to those that say my food isn't appealing , I would repost the Winnie the Pooh picture posted above if I wasn't on my phone right now.. I'm not saying you need to eat 2000 calories OR that you have to think my food looks good.. Find what works for YOU!!

Post was made to point out that one can easily reach 1200 and beyond with HEALTHY DELICIOUS FOOD! :tongue: This is a response to all the topics that say "I can't reach my goal of 1200" or "Only at 900 for the day and I'm so full, should I eat junk food to reach 1200?".

:drinker:
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    Buuuut MFP told me to eat 1200 a day. I also exercise and have been loosing. Am I doing something wrong here?? I eat mostly fruits and veggies throughout the week and on weekends have a healthy breakfast healthy lunch and kind of whatever for dinner. Also exercise a version of HIIT cardio daily and weights at least 3x week.

eeeeeeop :blushing: just read the rest of the dang post guess it was meant for the non eaters lololololol I have no prob reaching 1200 and sometimes on the weekend specially go over but I exercise the extra lol
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I knew all of the answers for everyone, too

Then I realized that I'm the only person that lives in my body and that my job was to do what worked/works for me, not cry to the masses what they think they need to do.

Some people do, in fact, need to eat more.

Other people, in fact, need to eat less because........they are eating too much for their body.

Did you find what works for you? Great!! Stick to that!

Amen!!! I totally agree with this!! I need to stay within 1200 or my body packs on the pounds... and I need low-carb. I eat carbs but only veggies.. Some people say not to do this but I was instructed by my doctor and it works for me.

Everyone else, however, needsto find what works for them. And that's not really going to be what worked for you.

Your food looks fantastic though, yum!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    This is all HEALTHY and it is around 2100 calories. Please, eat more. It's not that hard.

This is the part that muddles your point.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    "Eat more to weigh less" is a philosophy that works well for those who specifically lift heavy weights. "Eat 2200 calories a day" is advice that doesn't work for everyone. I know people who survive very well on 1200-1400 calories a day and amazingly they don't starve to death. I eat about 1400 and have been maintaining my current weight for three years. I am active, eat healthy food, have lots of energy, and on days when I run a triathlon, I do eat more, but I'm not consistently lifting weights and I just can't eat as much as you do. I also don't really want to eat that volume of food.

Your food looks nutritious I guess, but it's not appetizing to me personally. Not everyone chooses to eat the exact way you do. Congratulations on your success but food is a choice, and if you don't like the way others eat, can you maybe just ignore them?

Actually, OP just said that 1200-1400 *is* what works for some people and clarified that she is referring to people who eat less than 1200. I do agree that the food does not look good to me either. But I also do not understand how someone can become obese, then act like they couldn't possible eat more than 500 calories. I'm like, "Grab a Snickers bar!" :laugh:

For me, eating more to weigh less means eating 1800 calories instead of 1200. My current TDEE with no exercise is just under 2100. I add in exercise to increase the deficit and have been losing two pounds per week. It took me 20 years to put build up the extra fat, so I'm surely not trying to lose it any faster than two pounds a week.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ok, I Hate to stick my head in the lions mouth -

Annnnnnd there's really not much chance of me taking the time in the kitchen to prepare that. It's not appetizing for me, I'd rather just bake a chicken breast and steam some broccoli or green beans and force them down, because what I really want is... like, deviled eggs with a dash of paprika and some mustard in the filling, or pasta with a nice white sauce, Popcorn covered in butter, a STAKE, or pork chop.. a nice roast Ham with a honey glaze or scalloped ANYTHING. Mashed potates made with butter and cream with salt and a touch of fresh ground black pepper (even though salt is now OUT for me)

I guess my question would be, how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?

I may not be answering your question, but looking at what you "really want" to eat, I don't see any reason why you can't. I eat all those things, just not in massive quantities. I have mashed potatoes with real butter at least once every two weeks, I eat steak once a week, I just had pasta with a white sauce and cheese yesterday, and while I don't make deviled eggs, I'd certainly eat one if it were available. It would be hard to stop at one, but I wouldn't avoid them completely. The only thing missing from your ideal foods is a few green veggies. I guess I'm lucky that I've always like vegetables of all kinds, so I never had to acquire a taste for them. I believe the key is to mix it up. Have the chicken breast and broccoli and also the mashed potatoes--just keep it to one serving (1/2 cup). Throw in something you really desire with the new foods you're trying to add to your diet and enjoy your meals! Life is too short to feel like food is something you just have to ingest and you can't enjoy it. For me it's about balancing my love of full fat and quick burning carbs and my quest for healthier, leaner, cleaner eating. Too far one way sabotages my goals and too far the other makes me feel deprived and depressed. Mixing it up seems to make it all much easier!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    But I also do not understand how someone can become obese, then act like they couldn't possible eat more than 500 calories. I'm like, "Grab a Snickers bar!" :laugh:

I see your point and for a while I was scratching my head about that one too, but then I remembered back to when I first started losing weight, I was obsessed with eating exactly 1200 calories, got used to it, and would feel absolutely horrible for eating something that was high in calories, which was really rare. I think it's a mental thing and it's hard to combat that "eat less, lose more" mentality.
  • louised88
    Options
    To be fair, some people having eating disorders and telling them 'eat more!' is about as unhelpful and potentially harmful as telling someone with depression to 'be happier!'.

Yes, the truth hurts.

Are you serious? Obviously you have no clue about the complexity of mental disorders and the psychological damage and disordered thinking they can cause. I hope to god you never have to find out, but if you want to avoid showing your ignorance and lack of empathy again, I would suggest you do some research.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Buuuut MFP told me to eat 1200 a day. I also exercise and have been loosing. Am I doing something wrong here?? I eat mostly fruits and veggies throughout the week and on weekends have a healthy breakfast healthy lunch and kind of whatever for dinner. Also exercise a version of HIIT cardio daily and weights at least 3x week.

eeeeeeop :blushing: just read the rest of the dang post guess it was meant for the non eaters lololololol I have no prob reaching 1200 and sometimes on the weekend specially go over but I exercise the extra lol

If you are doing a weight training program, then be sure you are getting enough protein. Since you didn't mention it, have no ticker, and your profile is private, there is no way to know what your goals are. However, if more than half your weight is body fat, then just make sure you are getting over 70 grams of protein each day, preferably more, and you'll be fine. If your goal is less than 50 pounds to lose, then try changing your MFP settings to lose a half pound per week and try that for about 6 weeks.

Some people like to increase their caloric deficit to lose more, but you aren't actually doing your body any favors by doing so. In the long run, you are better off with a smaller deficit, especially if you're exercising several times a week.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This is all HEALTHY and it is around 2100 calories. Please, eat more. It's not that hard.

This is the part that muddles your point.
    I am a big advocate of the EMTWL group. I have lost weight eating 1200 calories (then plateaued and regained it back when i started eating like a normal person lol) , and I have lost weight eating 1800 calories (less muscle was sacrificed) I love Dan and his In place of a roadmap, and I must say, I get quite bothered seeing women say its hard to reach 1200 calories. No one should eat below this. So I am here to paint a picture for you. I figured instead of just writing, I would put it in pictures.... Here goes...

<Snip>

Where exactly is the confusion? At no point did she tell people they can't eat their 1200 calories and be happy.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yuuuum! Bump!
  • Luvr2502
    Options
    That's true. Some people are on here so they can learn how to eat or to learn how to eat healthier. The food tracking tool helps people eat accordingly and track the nutrition going into their bodies. For some people eating anything more than banana for a meal is hard.