Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

You know everyone says to look at photos, but even then I don't see it. I must have really been diluted before not realizing how big I actually had become. The other day at a birthday party for my daughters friend, I allowed the hostess to take my picture instead of shying away as before. I was feeling more confident. Then she sent out the thank you notes with my pic. I cried! I was so devastated that after over 95lbs I looked the same. I am now 208 down from 304. From a size 26 to 16. But yet I look very much the same. It is very frustrating!

I guarantee, honey, you look better. Put those old size 26 pants on and really look. You will see it eventually... Have faith and keep going.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. It's getting used to your body that takes a while. I"m finally starting to come out of my shell but, yes, I still feel 50lbs heavier.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel "fat", most days I know I've made a LOT of progress, but.... that progress seems to never been enough to satisfy me and I seek more and more and more progress, knowing then it will probably never be enough to make me truly happy. Before you tell me to get professional help or something, I already do see a therapist and I'm trying to work my way through this.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think it goes away eventually, or at least it gets better and comes and goes in waves. I feel pretty good about myself most days. I do notice when i start to slack off, even if I haven't gained or I've gained very little, I immediately feel fatter. That might be a good thing though. I do still have a tendency to go for the bigger sizes, but I usually reach for the mediums now instead of the larges (when most of the time a small is what I need).
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have it come in waves. I lost 37 pounds and currently weigh 125 pounds at 5'5". I know i'm not fat, but I still have days where I look at myself and think "ugh, i am fat" or I don't like the way certain clothes lay on me now because they're too big and create a weird pouch on my tummy.
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I hope it goes away eventually because I am in my 18th month of my lifestyle change and still see the "old" Jessica in the mirror. It is crazy. Even doing laundry, I have moments where I pull something out and have a minor panic that the item shrunk. I know that I am literally half the person I used to be but I just don't feel it yet. If someone stares, then I automatically feel like they are looking at me as the fat girl...
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Every time I put on a pair of 6/8 jeans, it is a surprise to me. I've lost almost 70 pounds over the course of a year, but after over two-decades of being "the fat funny friend", it's taking my brain a long time to catch up to my body.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yesss!!! I go through waves of it often!!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, especially when I see bulges that I don't like. However, the strange thing was that previously I never considered myself fat even at 190 lbs. I always saw a thin person in the mirror. It was the scale that shocked me into action because I never looked heavy in my clothes.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 and still cant get pass it. I feel fat all the time (Mainly bc i have excess skin) I dont know when my mind will catch up. I certainly dont feel skinny at all but i have people telling me all the time that i am skinny and that i look good at the weight i am now and i dont need to lose anymore. I wanna say to them, have you seen my naked? HAAHAA!
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bumping this one, too!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This might seem ridiculous, but I sort of had the opposite problem while I was gaining weight. I kept feeling like I was still the same lower weight, even after a 60lb gain. Now that I'm trying to get back down to a healthy BMI it feels really discouraging to see the loss on the scale and then to see myself in the mirror. When I look in the mirror I can see the loss, but as that's what my mind thought I already looked like it feels like I'm not making any progress at all. Then I start to think, well if I think I look like this, and that's how I thought I looked, then how I look now is probably how I look in my photographs of me heavier.

A good way I've found to remind myself of my progress is to hug my husband. I can tell that his arms can reach around me more than they could before. Also, it's nice to have a hug just for the hug. :)
  • anesthesiaaa
    anesthesiaaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have just started but I have to say that this scares me too. I am already thinking "my friends and colleagues have seen me fat, they will never accept me as slim simply because they will remember me fat, won't look at me anyway, because I did not make a good first impression and they will expect me to put the weight back on".

But it's just me overthinking this and projecting my thouths about myself into the other peoples minds. I know it. Because whenever anybody else I know loses some weight, I'm thinking "oh, what a great job he/she's done, what an inspiration".

It's sad. I remember when I was a kid I always felt like the fattest biggest most disgusting kid in the class. When I look back at the photos I have to admit that I was very slim, not even a little chubby:-(
  • kellieym
    kellieym Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I mentally see myself as much thinner than I actually am! What brings back reality is seeing pictures which I'm sure would work in reverse too! Just recently I was tagged in a FB picture standing next to a good friend of mine that I actually thought was bigger than me and she looked half my size. Then my daughter posted Thanksgiving pictures and there was one of my butt that was twice as wide as I had imagined. So here I am back tracking calories and exercising for the upthing time! Try, try again right?
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I think alot of people feel like that.

Never stop working out haha
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yes

but sometimes not even close

sometimes i feel like a whale

sometimes i feel like a supermodel
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Yes, even when I look at pictures from when I started to now I still don't see a big difference. It is crazy how your mind plays such a role in your image of yourself. I am hoping this goes away and I can enjoy and appreciate my successes.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I've lost 30 lbs so far but was down 50lbs, then re-gained :grumble: , which makes it even harder when I see myself in the mirror. There was a time I was seeing that thinner me and felt happy with myself and what I accomplished. Now I see the heavier me and all I see are the disappointments with what I had let happen again. UGH It's hard to take compliments too, especially from my husband because I don't see what he sees.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Occasionally Fat Missa will come out to play, she generally says something nasty in the mirror and goes to grab a snack.. but I'm not so upstanding that I wouldn't slap a bi*ch!

Edit: Effing typo!
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I mentally see myself as much thinner than I actually am! What brings back reality is seeing pictures which I'm sure would work in reverse too! Just recently I was tagged in a FB picture standing next to a good friend of mine that I actually thought was bigger than me and she looked half my size. Then my daughter posted Thanksgiving pictures and there was one of my butt that was twice as wide as I had imagined. So here I am back tracking calories and exercising for the upthing time! Try, try again right?

OMG, that happened to me too! I took a formal photo of my husband and I on a cruise and once I saw it printed I realized how much I gained back! In my eyes, I looked like Jabba the Hut!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!