NO RED MEAT OR PORK CHALLENGE FOR DECEMBER!!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    sorry, need my protein to build muscle! yes i can drink the shakes but a steak tastes alot better....

Edemame and Broccoli have more protein than steak - just sayin!

Edamame is disgusting, and it would have to be a LOT of broccoli to come close to the amount in a steak. I have logged both steak and broccoli in the same meal and did not find that to be the case.

I'm not sure it's possible to eat enough broccoli in one meal to get protein comparable to even a small steak.

IMO Edamame is delicious though. I love it steamed, but Seapoint Farms wasabi flavored dry roasted is my favorite.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    sorry, need my protein to build muscle! yes i can drink the shakes but a steak tastes alot better....

Where did you pull that information from? Neither is true.

Edamame: 4 ounces is roughly 100 calories and 9g of protein. That's approximately 36% protein.
    Broccoli: 3 cups of Broccoli is roughly 100 calories and 8g of protein. That's approximately 32% protein.

Steak: Depends on how fatty the cut is. Something generic like Sirloin is roughly 50% protein.

Not to mention density. A good sized steak can have an easy 50g of protein (or more, much more). It'd take a ton of Broccoli to equal that amount. At a glance, that's over 18 cups of Broccoli. It'd be tough to eat that much in a day.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your iron amount.

I eat no meat at all, and my iron levels are good. I also do not take any kind of supplement.
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'll eat double meat for you!

(wrong forum) :)

I'm with him! I can't give up red meat! This is hunting season where I am and there are lots of meats being thrown on the grill around here! Steak, deer, wild hog! Sorry, just can't do it!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    why?
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Neverrr.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    wellbert - Your pugs are precious!!!

OP - oh hell no!

21bjchv.gif
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    WHO'S WITH ME?? FOR THE WHOLE MONTH OF DECEMBER WE AVOID ALL FOODS THAT CONTAINS RED MEAT OR PORK!! LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
    No thanks. I enjoy eating pork and red meat.

BTW. Most keyboards have a "caps lock" key. yours seems to be defective.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Horrible challenge, I'd prefer a "eat nothing but red meat & pork" challenge.

all that red meat is terrible for your colon, dont care what physical condition you are in. your abs probably look like that from all the straining you do trying to pass the red meats

red meat in moderation is not bad for your colon. If your eating 2 steaks everyday, then ya probably. my friend who has colon cancer history in family and gets checked every year, his dr said red meat in moderation is fine and actually healthy. AS well, never had to strain to pass red meat in my life LMAO :laugh:

moderation... thus the reason why giving it up for a month isnt such a bad idea...
  • WatchAbbyShrink
    WatchAbbyShrink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am with yah!
  • Cary772
    Options
    As a diabetic, I am out. Meat is good for diabetics. High in protein with little to no carbs.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I'd rather kill myself.
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is key. I will not give up red meat. I rarely eat it, but once in awhile my significant other grills the perfect Ribeye ever :) I don't eat pork much at all. Just doesnt taste as good as beef.
    Ref meat for me is a treat, a luxurious treat since my grocery budget doesn't allow me to buy much beef,
    However I do believe that too much red meat is not good for you. People who eat too much of animal based diet do have more health issues than those who don't.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I am out. Meat is good for diabetics. High in protein with little to no carbs.

there are other types of meats you could eat besides red meats and pork...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Edamame: 4 ounces is roughly 100 calories and 9g of protein. That's approximately 36% protein.
    Steak: Depends on how fatty the cut is. Something generic like Sirloin is roughly 50% protein.

Dry roasted edamame has 14 g protein per 30 g (about 1 oz) which is 47% protein. Also has 7 g fiber and 130 calories.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Edamame is disgusting, and it would have to be a LOT of broccoli to come close to the amount in a steak. I have logged both steak and broccoli in the same meal and did not find that to be the case.

I'm not sure it's possible to eat enough broccoli in one meal to get protein comparable to even a small steak.

IMO Edamame is delicious though. I love it steamed, but Seapoint Farms wasabi flavored dry roasted is my favorite.

If it is possible to eat that much broccoli, I don't want to be in the same county as you.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    wellbert - Your pugs are precious!!!

OP - oh hell no!

21bjchv.gif

:laugh:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME?! :(

Also, lol no.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    MORE MEAT FOR ME!!!! MORE BACON TOO!!!!!

If you think that red meat causes cancer:

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

http://www.gnolls.org/1444/does-meat-rot-in-your-colon-no-what-does-beans-grains-and-vegetables/
    (search this site to learn that saturated fat and cholesterol are very important)

And, depending on the senstivity of your stomach:

http://roarofwolverine.com/wolverine
    "...Then, I’ll add this firsthand experience from an intestinal transplant survivor who spent months with a jejunostomy, watching the contents of his stomach drain directly into a bag..." - he lost his intestines thanks to a routine colonoscopy. (don't ever get one of these. Why anyone would want someone creating a wound in the dirtiest part of the body is beyond me.)

And something else on saturated fat and cholesterol:

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2011/10/08/fats-cholesterol-good/

I could go on and on...
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    BWHAHAHAHHAHHA....ahah.... ha..... Um, no. :) Thanks for the laugh though :)