My nutritionists advice for an endomorph - what you eat

Options
auticus
auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
From my blog:

So we know that I'm approaching my year on MFP and that I've been stuck for six months going on seven months now. So what have I learned?

Losing weight and getting in shape comes down to diet & exercise. For some people, that is more than enough.

If you are an ectomorph, you will find gaining weight a chore and hard. I have a couple friends who can literally tear through 6000 calories a day and still say very lean and they dont' have a regular workout routine.

Then there are the mesomorphs, which is what everyone wishes they could be. These are the people that can get fat, but when they start working out it takes little time at all for them to get well defined and look awesome.

Then there's the least desireable body type, the endomorph, which is the perpetually fat person. These people have to work very hard to keep the weight and body fat off. As it so happens this was the card I drew when I came screaming into this world and much of my family shares this genetic trait.

An endomorph can look good but will typically never have the extreme definition that their mesomorph counterparts can achieve. An endomorph that is in good shape will often be called barrel chested, bear-like, and can possess great strength, but will typically always have a larger amount of body fat.

The first thing to understand is how to deal wtih the body type and how to work it properly to come down in weight and body fat.

The standard "calories in / calories out" only gets you so far. To truly get into the best shape, one must look at what calories they are putting in. This is where I've been stuck.

See... I have a sweet tooth. I'm also insulin resistant, which is a trait shared by many endomorphs. What this means is that I will want sugar, and I will want to spike my insulin and once that happens, the insulin will store everything as fat. As such, I need to avoid insulin spiking foods as much as possible.

Even 0 calorie diet sodas will spike insulin. That means I can still gain body fat even though I'm not getting calories from the soda because the insulin levels in my body will still be elevated and anything i take in will be stored as fat. It can also contribute to diabetes, again... even though I'm not taking in any calories.

This is obviously very bad.

So my working out like I do is great but it is being sabotaged by my little cheating here and there. Cheat days need to be lessened to one every two weeks, not one a week. That kills me but ... I have a choice to make now. Stay fat or sacrifice the IHOP on Saturdays.

Here's an example menu:

Meal 1 - two eggs and two pieces of plain wheat toast
Meal 2 - Protein Shake
Meal 3 - 3/4 cup brown rice, 4 oz chicken
Meal 4 - Turkey Breast
Meal 5 - Stir fry with chicken or low fat beef
Meal 6 - Tuna

Meal 1 - 3/4 cup oatmeal (no sugar), 4 egg omelete (egg white only) and 1 cup of skim milk
Meal 2 - six crackers
Meal 3 - two pieces of grilled chicken
Meal 4 - Pasta with whole weat and low fat beef
Meal 5 - 2/3 cup bran cereal with cup of skim milk
Meal 6 - protein shake

Words cannot describe how the above makes my stomach turn but here I am at a cross roads... 50% of my intake in a day should be protein. While I may never have visible ab muscles, I can drop my body fat down to below 20 if I stick to the above and drink plenty of water.

Even my coffee can no longer have sugar in it and ... well... I'm going to be a grumpy Chris for the next couple weeks as I detox...

Replies

• MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can find out your type at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Most people fall somewhere between one of the three categories.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this, it is interesting
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous news ;D
    I think if you allow yourself to become obsessed with these facts you'll be fine ;-)
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    bump. This is fabulous
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the exact same menu/diet plan for the Michael Thurmond 6 day body makeover I did, except for no dairy products and no salt. I lasted the 6 days but I felt like I was eating ALL day! I also got really really tired of fish and chicken, 2 foods I love! I lost 8 pounds in a week and kept it off for 1 month. Then it all came back. The good thing about that diet was that I really started appreciating the taste of the food without salt and realised I needed very very little salt for taste. I tried doing it again but I got tired of eating 6-7 meals...Your diet seems less restrictive than the one I did. Going by by own experience, I can tell you that it will be hard for the first 2 days, but you'll get used to it and even like it after that. Good luck!
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erinmieskowski
    erinmieskowski Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lorraine_2015
    lorraine_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    im an endomorph too
  • jeepman777
    Options
    oh.. how I feel your pain brother
  • jeremiahbannister
    Options
    I just downloaded the app today and I immediately began looking for endomorph diets. This piece was great. I've struggled all my life with losing fat--my family always said I wasn't fat, just stalky. Worse yet, my family had a history of diabetes and heart disease. Still, we were all locked in to the one-size-fits-all 3-meals-a-day routine. Being from Battle Creek, Michigan, and with family members working at Kellogg's, we always ate sugary cereal. This really has been such an insightful piece! Thanks.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You know all the pasta, oatmeal, rice & cereal also spikes insulin, right? If you're looking for a way of eating that minimizes those spikes, check out paleo/primal.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am a Meso trapped in an Endos body.
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Endo here too. I remember being little in elementary and being embarrassed my fingers couldn't encircle my wrists, and my footprints on the cement after getting out of the pool looked like squares w/ toes.

Yep, sugar and carbs are the devil for the endo. Guess that's why I only ever lose weight cutting these out. I did WW religiously for months and only lost 5lbs since back then the lower point food was carb-y.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    ....... You people aren't seriously discussing somatotypes, are you? In 2013?
  • Taraanne76
    Options
    Ummm, apparently we are.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ummm, apparently we are.

I see. Well you might be interested to learn that the entire concept of endo/ecto/mesomorph is a bunch of total bunk made up by a 1940s psychologist, and it corresponds to nothing at all in the real world.
  • Taraanne76
    Options
    Well, I can agree the personality traits associates w/ body types aren't applicable to real life but I do believe there are diff body types that react in varying ways . Like my hubs is naturally built and my mil/bil try so hard to gain weight and can never seem to. Here I am in the midst of them always on a diet like wth!?
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    ....... You people aren't seriously discussing somatotypes, are you? In 2013?

You know, I learned about these in health class (back then the date started with 19--). I had no idea they were pop psychology. Thanks for giving me a word to google... now I feel like I've learned my thing for the day.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    a) Relax - diet soda does NOT, in fact, spike insulin. It's not good for you the way a salad is, but, it's not bad for you like heroin.
    b) If you are IR, your macros should read more like 25% carbs, 30% protein, and 45% fat. Protein converts to glucose, just like carbs do (only slower). Too much protein = high insulin levels. Fat has no effect on insulin and blood sugar levels.