New Study Reveals: Plateaus are NOT real...

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My One persons study. It is not scientific... but I think is insightful. By not scientific I mean 100's of people would need to do something similar to what I have done and then see what the results are. So, my results are extremely subjective. Honestly, its just a provocative blog headline to get some attention.
    What study are you referring to?
    Otherwise known as anecdotal evidence. cheers
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all that you have to say. I recently had about a 10 day plateau, probably not a big deal, but made me frustrated. Dropped my daily goal from 1540 to 1200 (plus 400 cals for BF) and started to see the scale move much faster!! It is a bit of a numbers game. I often see little gains which are frustrating on days that I am SO good... but then later will lose a pound or more overnight. Just need patience. Really, if I am going to maintain my weight loss this whole work out and tracking calories thing is never going to end... so I might as well keep on keeping on:)
  • kasechka
    Options
    Thank you for this encouragement. Just what I needed to hear when the scale is not cooperating with my schedule!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    h-iB-1RnKEW5Q-72IDZ0xw2.jpg
  • Diane_58
    Diane_58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good food for thought! I use a spreadsheet at work to motivate me on my performance numbers. I didn't think to do this in real life. Thank you ...
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i do agree to this based on my experience
  • cheshire29
    Options
    For me I need to mix it up and try new approaches every now and then. I think my body gets used to my methods and then decides it is comfy so I have to switch things around. Nothing like having to outsmart your own body!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, will digest it all later
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I tend to believe that there's no such thing as plateaus. If you stay the same weight for 1+ months, that's not a plateau. That's called "maintenance". At some point in time your caloric needs will drop to the point of your current intake and your progress will stop. You just need to eat less, or exercise more. Or take a break and eat at maintenance for a week or a month to re-adjust, and then move on. Both things have been successful for me to break "plateaus".
  • beverlyp
    Options
    Very interesting! Thanks for the time you put into your study. I would love to have a copy of your spreadsheet.
    :smile:
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've been fluxing around the same weight for about 2 months now. I was eating 1200-1350 cals a day. I bumped it up to 1500, thinking that would help (people kept telling me to try eating more). It's been 2 weeks. I finally broke under 178 plateau, which was the lowest I would get, and flux back up to 181...and got to 176.8. I was excited and thought I finally broke through the plateau...I'm back up again, now. Before I was doing a lot more cardio and no strength (but did the first 2 levels of 30ds before my hip injury flared up). Now I'm doing heavy lifting (just started...2nd day) and doing much smaller amounts of cardio since I struggle to eat 1500 calories.

I'm confused on how this isn't a plateau.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is very intresting to me. Always looking for other info out there. I do really like the spread sheet idea. THX
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about scientific data, but when I stick to my calorie goals I always lose. ALWAYS.

When I go a few weeks without losing or I gain, it's because I've been slacking off. I know this though, and I don't try to call it a plateau.
    When I'm not losing, I'm totally the one to blame.

edited for spelling.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have a one person 60 month record of data that would obliterate alot of what you said. and Im also a bit insulted. Actually a lot insulted.

Good thing this isnt science.

Un-insulted.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    talk to me when you have lost more op. when i had more than a hundred still to go, losses were easy. now, plateaus happen. your time will likely come.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    meh. :grumble:
  • jhanso86
    Options
    Interesting...bump for later :)
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    There are always exceptions to the rule as I have written. Can't please all the people all the time. I think what I propose would work for 95% of people and would be more valuable than a lot of the misinformation on this site.

Sorry that "one person" had such crappy results. I'm sure something was going on with their body. Something has to be going on. If you are taking in a lot less calories than you are burning but not losing weight over a long period of time something abnormal is going on. For my purposes though and for what I shared I don't care about abnormal. I care about the 99% that could benefit and don't have the very strange record that you mention.
    I have a one person 60 month record of data that would obliterate alot of what you said. and Im also a bit insulted. Actually a lot insulted.

Good thing this isnt science.

Un-insulted.
  • peterdt
    Options
    There are always exceptions to the rule as I have written. I think what I propose would work for 95% of people and would be more valuable than a lot of the misinformation on this site.

I'm sure something was going on with your body. Something has to be going on. If you are taking in a lot less calories than you are burning but not losing weight over 6 months something abnormal is going on. For my purposes though and for what I shared I don't care about abnormal. I care about the 99% that could benefit and don't have the very strange record that you mention.
    I also made a spread sheet. It adds up your calories as you go, you have a daily goal every day. If you go over it will subtract calories from tomorrow. If you go under, it will add calories to tomorrow so you always hit your calorie goal over the long run
    ScreenHunter_4-1.jpg

I disagree though, I was in a plateau for 6 months, yet i at pretty good for the most part

.About your numbers matching up, they didn't, you got lucky. For example, if i asked someone who doesn't know how to square a number in math, "what does ^ mean? Here is your example. 2^2 = 4" they might say ^ means to add the same number to itself.
  • peterdt
    Options
    haha. thanks for your optimism. shesh.
    talk to me when you have lost more op. when i had more than a hundred still to go, losses were easy. now, plateaus happen. your time will likely come.