why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I mostly see women wearing them, actually.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I wear them (I'm obv a girl) to keep my hands from getting destroyed by the bar when lifting heavy weights. It's definitely not a fashion thing ;)

ETA - While I don't like a man with soft hands, I also appreciate a man who's hands aren't super rough or ripped.

This... Don't want disgustingly rough/ripped hands on me...And it's a lot nicer to not touch weights with my bare hands that other guys had in their sweaty and sometimes blistery hands...At least I can throw the gloves in the wash....
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I've made it almost all the way through NROLFW without gloves, but I'm buying some this week. I do have some callouses, which don't bother me too much, but my deadlift weight is being limited by my grip when I try to increase. The bar is chewing up my hands and it is painful to finish my reps at the weight I'm at. I could probably add more weight if I had some gloves.

As I have increased my weights, I have come to understand why lifters need to wear gloves.

Buying gloves is actually on my to-do list before my next workout.

gloves will make it harder to grip the deadlift bar. What you want is straps.
    also make sure you are't holding the bar in the palm of your hand.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Helps with not getting blisters.

Blisters can put your training back, i.e. you have to leave it time before you can really lift again comfortably.

I use gloves for cycling for this reason, so that my hands grip and I dont come away with sore hands.
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking into buying gloves because my boyfriend recently gave me a special ring :happy: and it pinches when I grip equipment.

But I don't mind callus
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wear them cause my palms get sweaty when Im nervous about picking up almost 200 pounds and the bar slips out of my grip. I can focus more on what my entire body is doing as a machine instead of oh no oh no oh no oh no gonna drop it gahhhhhhhhhhhhh crap im half on the floor again and I have a barbell bruise across the top of my right thigh. Lovely.

also yeah callouses on girls.. not good under the covers.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick and I love my callouses. Gloves are for wimps!
  • wellbert
    Options
    I'm actually looking into buying gloves because my boyfriend recently gave me a special ring :happy: and it pinches when I grip equipment.

take your ring off to lift. its potentially dangers, and will likely damage the ring as well.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    mine have sequins . . . okay seriously I wear them on clean and jerks and heavy deads. Don't hate
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1. Callouses.... just because they are male doesn't mean they MUST have disgusting man hands.

2. Sweat!! I was doing some intense resistance training at the weekend and the grip was literally sliding out of my hand mid set and someone had to come and help me re-place it, otherwise i could have been in for an injury.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. Not everyone adores calluses. I find them absolutely repulsive personally.
    2. Some people manage a better grip with gloves.

Seriously OP, way to generalize the planet there. Surely since you don't care about your hands, NO ONE ON THE PLANET should... yeah, must be real special living in your world.

LOL.
    1. never said i adored calluses, never said i dont care about my hands.
    2. I think at least one other poster acknowledged that gloves do not prevent calluses.
    3. never had a problem with grip, as i use chalk.
    4. honestly, i have never seen anyone in my gym, or a couple of others I frequent while traveling, wearing gloves. I was out of town visiting an "anytime fitness" and saw guys with gloves on. thought i would ask what the perceived benefit was.

Oh. and it is special living in my world. lol
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Better grip on the bars...if you are lifting real heavy...you want the best possible grip and NO slip.....tight grip is very important if a guy is lifting 200, 300, 400 lbs. It's not a fashion statement, its safety
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    lol..better grip and to avoid ripping skin of their hands nothing wrong with that.... my BF doesnt wear them, but I really don't care if men wear them :laugh:
  • Kathrynaline
    Options
    My 6 year old told me they look TOUGH. All guys, no ,matter how old, just want to look like a badass. If gloves with the fingers cut out help the cause then......
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    I use oven mitts so I can get maximum coverage and keeps my digits warm when working out outside.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    <
    Gloves. Not because I care about calluses (already have them anyway), but my hands get really sweaty.

I don't mind rough hands on a guy. I actually like it.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Better grip on the bars...if you are lifting real heavy...you want the best possible grip and NO slip.....tight grip is very important if a guy is lifting 200, 300, 400 lbs. It's not a fashion statement, its safety

that's what chalk is for. gloves increase bar diameter which reduces grip strength.
    Andy Bolton pulls 1000+lbs off the ground - no gloves.

use straps if the weight is too much for your grip.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Nah, no gloves for me. I notice at my gym (in between sets of course) that the HUGE guys never wear gloves and they are shifting a lot of weight....it always seems to be the smaller guys who wear them, and they seem to use machines more than free weights....go figure....:huh:
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I only wear them to keep trace physical evidence from getting left behind.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If they're musicians they may want to protect their hands.