why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Gloves are so much more than a fashion thing. For me, I sweat... A LOT. Toward the end of my hour I feel uncomfortable trying to overhead tricep a 30lb weight because of my slippery hands (and with my workout clothes having spandex in them, no wiping them off). The gloves are good for soaking up the sweat and still giving a safe grip. I even wear them in Kickboxing because when my hands get slippery and we try to do planks or burpees it can get difficult.

And ps, Why does it matter anyways? LOL
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Using gloves is no different thank using straps. If you hands are that strong and tuff don't use them. Must be using lite weights.

Truth.

tumblr_m1rnakFQte1qejf6ho1_400.gif

please tell me more about what its like to be a girl

Any gif from BSG wins the thread. It's a rule.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options

But I have a question for the OP. When did it become a thing for one man to question what another man is wearing? That sounds like some Mean Girls type shish to me. I have no worldly idea what the other guys in the gym are wearing. I don't even see the other people in the gym. I'm there to move big weight, not check out the current men's fashions

But to each their own, I guess. Hang around, enjoy the view.
    LOL. you are a funny guy.
    In spite of your attempt at a personal attack, I will actually answer your question.
    I was in a generic box gym because i was out of town visiting my in-laws. I had to wait for this guy for a bench and he was just a weird dude. grunting and groaning, and kept playing with his gloves. Like I said, I never saw anyone wearing weightlifting gloves and it stood out to me. I asked a question of WHY people wear them. People get so touchy around here at times, not used to people being so sensitive. If there was a viable reason for it, i might have considered it, but from what i read on the serious replies you still get calluses, and some feel it helps with grip but I take care of that with chalk and frankly its just another thing to remember to bring to the gym. If you wear them and like it. AWESOME. I just don't buy the argument that it helps you lift more weight or have a better grip, as i do not see evidence. I would like to think that any of us can ask WHY if we see a piece of gym equipment that seems unusual (such as various contraptions for holding the bar for squats, etc.).

one person noted that chalk is not available in their gym. if that is the case, then wearing gloves does make more sense if grip is a problem for that person.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, and i hope everyone has a great day. (perhaps some should consider a switch to de-caff. lol)

Lastly. Hope that bowl of soup was not for me, because I do not see any nutritional information in MFP for that type of soup. LOL
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Because I want a layer between my skin and the bars. I see how many men don't wash their hands in the bathroom. I aint touching those weights with bare skin.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

seconded
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    because callouses are uncomfortable..

is this a serious thread?
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves and I think guys should too. Calluses suck :-p
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I used to wear gloves because when I was taking weight training in High School/College it was beat into my head that I HAD to wear gloves. Literally had to. If I forgot them at home the coach wouldn't let me lift. Called it a safety thing.

I posted a form check vid here in the forums a while back and someone asked me why I had gloves on, and it got me thinking. I really didn't know why I was wearing the gloves. I knew I had to back in the day, but I guess I never really questioned it. From there I decided to really dig into it, and I found arguments for both sides. In the end I just did about a week's worth of sets without gloves, and ultimately decided my grip was significantly better without gloves.

I think it's really going to boil down to the individual, their preferences, and what they feel comfortable with. I put it in the same bucket as "heavy lifting". What's heavy to me is probably light to others, and vice versa.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

seconded

people watch that show?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    because callouses are uncomfortable..

is this a serious thread?

Head on over to the dog poop thread , then ask me if this is serious lol
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves is because I broke my wrist before so when I start lifting heavy my wrist tends to ache so the gloves I use have a wrist wrap on them for support .The other reason I wear gloves is because I hate callouses and like having smooth hands. I actually get many compliments on my hands. I am a hands on top of guy if you catch my drift.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    No gloves. No straps. No chalk.

I want those granite vice-hands...With the ability to open hand slap a cinder block in half.
  • DavPul
    Options

But I have a question for the OP. When did it become a thing for one man to question what another man is wearing? That sounds like some Mean Girls type shish to me. I have no worldly idea what the other guys in the gym are wearing. I don't even see the other people in the gym. I'm there to move big weight, not check out the current men's fashions

But to each their own, I guess. Hang around, enjoy the view.
    LOL. you are a funny guy.
    In spite of your attempt at a personal attack, I will actually answer your question.
    I was in a generic box gym because i was out of town visiting my in-laws. I had to wait for this guy for a bench and he was just a weird dude. grunting and groaning, and kept playing with his gloves. Like I said, I never saw anyone wearing weightlifting gloves and it stood out to me. I asked a question of WHY people wear them. People get so touchy around here at times, not used to people being so sensitive. If there was a viable reason for it, i might have considered it, but from what i read on the serious replies you still get calluses, and some feel it helps with grip but I take care of that with chalk and frankly its just another thing to remember to bring to the gym. If you wear them and like it. AWESOME. I just don't buy the argument that it helps you lift more weight or have a better grip, as i do not see evidence. I would like to think that any of us can ask WHY if we see a piece of gym equipment that seems unusual (such as various contraptions for holding the bar for squats, etc.).

one person noted that chalk is not available in their gym. if that is the case, then wearing gloves does make more sense if grip is a problem for that person.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, and i hope everyone has a great day. (perhaps some should consider a switch to de-caff. lol)

Lastly. Hope that bowl of soup was not for me, because I do not see any nutritional information in MFP for that type of soup. LOL

really? perhaps you should go back and read your original post with fresh eyes.
    is it a fashion thing? I guess I am not up on fashion, but I just don't get the point of a guy "accessorizing" before his work out.

I can understand if a female did not want to get calluses....

I'm a guy and not a hand model.....

That's not asking a legit question. That's 3 separate instances where you just called me a little b****. And I didn't get "touchy" (count is now up to 4!). I answered your question, and asked you a legit question in return. Don't serve the ball if you can't get out of the way of a hard return.

What's tiring is all the people judging other people on this site. She has on too much makeup. He's grunting too much. Why is he wearing gloves? Why is she using the treadmill next to me? Whatevs. Just work out. Anybody, male or female, that's handling their business can rest assured they are not getting judged by me.
  • iiriinka
    Options
    LoL! :)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves when lifting ... it hurts when I don't. Helps with my grip and protecting my hands. I lift with a trainer, not by myself and he picked out my gloves.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

seconded

people watch that show?

It ended a few years ago, so no, probably not a lot of people are watching it currently.
  • DavPul
    Options

seconded

people watch that show?

It ended a few years ago, so no, probably not a lot of people are watching it currently.

I'm trying to push Beans to watch it, but I'm probably going to need a hand. The show violates her "I refuse to watch awesomeness if it's set in the future" rule.

Yoovie, go tell Beans to watch this show.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

seconded

people watch that show?

I'm trying to push Beans to watch it, but I'm probably going to need a hand. The show violates her "I refuse to watch awesomeness if it's set in the future" rule.

Yoovie, go tell Beans to watch this show.

This show doesn't violate the rule. Neither does Star Wars :) Although saying that kind of spoils it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    They match my purse

FTW!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    is it a fashion thing? I guess I am not up on fashion, but I just don't get the point of a guy "accessorizing" before his work out.

I can understand if a female did not want to get calluses, but i think even that thought is somewhat dated. as a matter of fact, I don't think any of the girls in my gym wear those gloves and are rather proud of calluses from lifting.

On a guy, I really just don't understand it. I am not trying to insult anyone, i honestly do not understand. yes, I have calluses from lifting but who cares. I'm a guy and not a hand model. I also leave the gym covered in sweat and with chalk on my shorts, but I feel that to be expected (assuming Oly lifting, not machines of course)

Ladies, are you bothered if a guy has calluses on his hands?

Ask your woman if she likes having your rough, calloused hands rubbing on her. I would venture to say that is a big fat NO.

You get a better grip, don't run the risk of cutting or ripping your hands to shreds and no callouses.

Both my husband and myself both wear gloves when heavy lifting.

What does leaving the gym sweaty have to do with protecting your hands? I fail to see the logic in that.