why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    motivational-poster-battlestar-galactica-no-phasers-small.jpeg

unless all those bombs are nuclear, I don't understand how you have explosions in space without oxygen? Nuclear I would understand because of the fission, but would BSG really shoot off hundreds of nuclear bombs so haphazardly?

first, it is a tv show, so some poetic license is allowed.

however, it is proven that explosions can happen in space, such as bullets, bombs, and engine thrusters. the fuel/ignition source has enough oxygen in it to allow for that to happen.

Oye. Nuclear explosions obviously, which I stated. Also, the engine thrusters are USING oxygen pre-supplied. Are you saying that BSG uses bombs that come with oxygen tanks so they can create flames? Seems like a laser would be far more efficient.

Wait...so depth charges and torpedoes shouldn't work either?
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want my guy to touch me with calloused hands. My skin is very sensitive, I literally got scratched by my ex-bfs hands from his callouses. He got a brand new pair of gloves the next day.

And this is why I wear them! My wife doesn't want to be scratched by rough hands.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I lift weights that are heavy enough for my muscles but too heavy for my wrists. Tendonitus is not fun.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth
    i deadlift, power clean, everything on really knurly bars no gloves... no calluses.
    SKin got a little harder, that's all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want my guy to touch me with calloused hands. My skin is very sensitive, I literally got scratched by my ex-bfs hands from his callouses. He got a brand new pair of gloves the next day.

And this is why I wear them! My wife doesn't want to be scratched by rough hands.

thats a shame, its quite nice.
  • MisFitMom219
    MisFitMom219 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl & don't wear gloves.....

.... I do think they help if you're working in a cold environment like a garage or something, or if your calluses are tore up, but I never quite understood gloves, especially for EVERY exercise....chalk it up ;) lol

gloves don't prevent calluses...& you can shave them with a razor - problem solved!
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the 8 pages of prior responses ... but I DO wear them now ... didn't used to ... I'm not a ***** or anything and calluses don't bother me ... Yes most women like their men big and strong and tough ... but I've yet to have one compliment me on Rough hands (at least calluses ;) and I have gotten at least comments about rough calluses ... soooo for me just easier to wear them and since I don't give a rat's butt about what other Guys think of me at the gym it's a quick and painless solution

Wait ... but I also use a "puss pad" when squatting ... Never Mind ... it must be Me after all *hangs head in shame*
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I normally only use chalk. When I bench heavy, I use my gloves only for the wrist support.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The types of exercises I do typically involve suspensing my bodyweight from a suspension trainer, I want all the grip I can get. And I hate chalk.
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wear them because I have carpal tunnel in both hands. They help me hold onto the weights better, especially the kettleball weights because of the leather palms. I used to come home with my hands hurting so bad after the gym but so far they have been helping a lot. :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I didn't realize I looked dumb squatting with gloves on. I put them on when I leave the locker room and take them off when I'm completely done. Then again, I also wear a mouth guard and those hideous VS shoes. God, I must be a sight.

lol. don't worry, i've totally caught myself squatting or on the leg press machine still wearing my lifting gloves.

I put my gloves on when I get to the gym, and take them off in the car. To constantly put them on and take them off seems fussy to me.

try wearing a bra

How do you know I'm not wearing one right now?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I haven't resorted to wearing gloves yet myself, but maybe one day if I feel like the weights are getting to be too much for my hands - not the case (yet)!
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I wear them too....pink ones. I don't want blisters or rough hands when lifting heavy weights
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    for what it's worth
    i deadlift, power clean, everything on really knurly bars no gloves... no calluses.
    SKin got a little harder, that's all.

Likewise... once you know how to grip a bar correctly you never have to worry about calluses or accidents again!
  • arcticlynx1
    arcticlynx1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have known a few people to drop weights (commonly on themselves) due to hands covered in sweat during a lengthy workout. Fortunately most of them had spotters. So for many people the gloves actually are a safety item. Secondly as mentioned by many, to reduce/prevent blisters and calluses.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Stupid thread is stupid...

1. They help with grip.
    2. The offer a bit of padding.
    3. They soak up sweat.
    4. Some offer wrist support.

If you don't wear gloves, fine that's your bag. You obviously don't lift really heavy weights or don't lift very often. Try lifting on 2 on 1 off splits without gloves and see how long your hands last.

I'm on my second pair in 3 months. They wear out quickly when you actually work. If tanned leather wears out that quickly imagine what your hands would look like.

Now if you are wearing your gloves during cardio... you're a douche.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    17900_10152352492750385_636182139_n.jpg
    Results from deadlifts.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I never wear gloves in the gym as I cant find a purse to go with them... :P
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Stupid thread is stupid...

1. They help with grip.
    2. The offer a bit of padding.
    3. They soak up sweat.
    4. Some offer wrist support.

If you don't wear gloves, fine that's your bag. You obviously don't lift really heavy weights or don't lift very often. Try lifting on 2 on 1 off splits without gloves and see how long your hands last.

I'm on my second pair in 3 months. They wear out quickly when you actually work. If tanned leather wears out that quickly imagine what your hands would look like.

Now if you are wearing your gloves during cardio... you're a douche.
    Interesting that you call someone a douche.