Obese Only Gym?

Replies

• I woudl imagine those who have reached their goals would be welcome to stay to serve as positive examples to others. Also, they would very likely be perceived as less judgemental by the obese people who use the place, as it would be understood that they have been in the same place at one time. I see it as a positive thing that could be successful.

I agree with this as it will show others who are starting out that it can be done. I have lost quite a bit of weight, but I still feel like everyone is laughing at me. So the atmosphere would still be mentally appealing too. :happy:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    RACIST!!
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    At the end of the news story it states:

"And in case you're wondering, members who do lose weight are welcome to stay, to inspire new recruits."

Which means that in order to join, you have to be at least 50 lbs overweight. You can continue as a member after losing the weight "in order to encourage new members". However, if new members fit the business model of "being uncomfortable working out around people who are fit" and members who originally were 50 lbs overweight but currently aren't make up the majority of your members, management would have to keep an eye on how many new members join based on how many currently fit members remain. If that number remains unchanged, they'll continue to let fit members (who joined while overweight) stay members.

If it drops, they'll have to decide whether to allow currently fit members the ability to renew their membership (I'm guessing they have a 1 year membership and once paid, the gym cannot kick them out).

Seeing as there are gyms that only cater to female clientele, they should be allowed to open a gym that only caters to those that have 50+ lbs to lose.

I'd be curious as to how they determine someone is 50 lbs overweight? Is that 50 lbs over the top end of one's BMI "healthy weight"? Is that 50lbs over the low end? What about 50 lbs over the middle of that range? Do they measure BF% and go by that?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    The idea defies logic because the staff would be purposefully UNmotivated to help people get healthy, since, by their own defintion, if the people were no longer obese then their membership would be void. Duh. (Sounds like some weight loss corporations that I am familiar with. lol)

Edit: to the OP: it would have been useful to include the information that the people who lost the weight would be welcome to stay, but then you wouldn't have gotten all of our silly responses; correct?

But this illustration DOES explain the diet industry imo. :wink:
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    It does seem like discrimination but on a different side I don't know about any of you but when I go to the gym and see small fit people I get discouraged. I know it's not their fault or anything like that and I don't blame them but I think going to a gym that is specific for overweight people might encourage some people to lose weight.

However, what happens when you make friends lose a bunch of weight and are no longer their standard for being "overweight." Do you have to leave? What if you sign up for like a year contract and lose all your weight 8 months but still need to exercise?
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member

Seeing as there are gyms that only cater to female clientele, they should be allowed to open a gym that only caters to those that have 50+ lbs to lose.

Yeah, but I'm always gonna be a girl. That's not a very good comparison IMO.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I would assume that these gyms have equipment that can support larger clients and people trained working there that are trained more specifically on obese clients. The memberships probably also cost more than 'traditional' gyms.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    You can't do anything without offending someone these days. It's no different than them attending a bariatric seminar or being recommended for those things. And there are some classes that are held at medical facilities that are for the obese/super obese only.

I think it's a good thing. We're overweight as a nation and something needs to be done. If "being amongst your people" helps you get fit, then do it. Some people have HUGE fears about working out in a regular gym because of the scrutiny of being fat in the gym. So if this helps them get comfortable getting fit, then go for it. Also, I'd assume that these gyms have classes with instructors better informed on how to modify for those with weight problems. Which would also help with their being comfortable in the gym.

You're so smart..
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    A lot of boxing and powerlifting gyms only work with fit well-trained people so they do exist.

My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they then get free membership to the Fit Gym as a reward? :laugh:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Its a genius idea because you kick out the clients that cost you money but keep the ones that never show up
  • I can definitely see how a gym like that could be helpful. Several people, like myself, were afraid to go to the gym at first because we were laughed at by the fit people there. I remember a couple of really pretty, built girls laughing at me while I was on the elliptical. It stings. If obese individuals go to this kind of gym, they probably won't be laughed at or put down.

On the other hand, it is a bit discriminatory. Those who worked really hard to become fit shouldn't be told they can't go to this certain gym because they are fit.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    A lot of boxing and powerlifting gyms only work with fit well-trained people so they do exist.

My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?

This...I'm not sure what the point is at having a seperate gym except so people who complain they feel uncomfortable around other people who are fit, can go and feel ok. Problem is, that would make me less likely to care as much and push. But that's just me.

I can understand the boxing gyms and such as it's more specific but a plain ole gym...I don't get it. Not many machines I've seen that in any way can't fit a morbidly obese person....there are plenty at my gym and they use all the same standard equipment that me and the next person use.

Edit* Just read the article..ok got it..it's to cater to certain people. Sure, whatever gets people in shape!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/236328/288/Dallas-gym-caters-only-to-the-obese

Members who lose the weight are welcome to stay per this article.

Ok, well that makes sense. I have no problem with the gym-I can understand why people would feel like they couldn't work out with smaller people and I think it almost makes sense to have something like this around but didn't get how if they're so strict to the you have to be 50 pounds over weight rule, what would happen after. The important thing is that they people are working out. I am glad that article mentioned the trained cause I was confused when I saw her on the news since they I figured they'd think the trainer didn't understand them.

I'm kinda curious how much it is-if it's comparable to most gyms or if it's a bit more since they have less people and the machines must cost more
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    How about if they get into top physical shape they're offered a job? (;
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    I would say that as long as they are up front about it, I do not see a problem per se...

I had been lucky that I had been able to join a fitness gym that accepts everyone regardless of fitness level...
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    It is not something I am interested in, as I love seeing fit and healthy people at my gym to motivate me and give me something to aspire to achieve. But if an obese-only gym gets more people into a gym and working out, then it's great.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    The Gym is called Downsize Fitness. They have a monthly fee of $300 or a $25 day pass. The equipment is sturdier and all clients are monitored by trainers. If you do not come in for 5 days a week, you will get calls or text messages. They create a nutrition plan, cardio and weight plan tailored to each client. There are no long term commitments to contracts.

OUR MISSION

Downsize Fitness provides exercise facilities and specially trained staff for individuals who are at least 50 pounds overweight. We create and facilitate human connections that enable our members to find the courage to confront and persevere in overcoming their obesity.

ABOUT DOWNSIZE FITNESS

Developed specifically with chronically overweight and obese individuals in mind, DOWNSIZE Fitness provides a welcoming environment that eliminates the self-conscious and alienating atmosphere felt in most conventional gyms.

Downsize Fitness is modeled after hit TV show,"The Biggest Loser," yet it is structured to be more realistic, both from a financial and time perspective. Every Downsize Fitness member works with a trainer every time they come to the gym. The trainer not only takes them through their workouts, but also holds them accountable for their diet.

"Our goal is to help members change their lifestyle," says owner, Francis Wisniewski. "It's not just about following a diet or working out; it's about teaching members new habits they will embrace in and outside of the gym. Our goal is to give our members a new quality of life and we have the resources and unique trainer support to do that for everyone who walks through our door."

The motivation for the gym comes from Wisniewski who himself lost over 60 pounds in the last year. He made the decision to open a gym for overweight individuals when he realized he was not alone in being uncomfortable at typical gyms. Through a supportive team-oriented environment and trainer-based workout plans, the hope is to get overweight individuals healthy and fit.

3 COMPONENTS OF OUR PROGRAM

Work side by side with a professional trainer at your own pace and around your schedule. Our experienced team will train you using the latest exercise modalities and techniques to elevate your performance, ensuring that you reach your goals.

// FITNESS

Is it time for you to improve your level of health and fitness? Do you feel like you could loose fifty pounds? The professional coaches at Downsize Fitness will work with you to develop a customized fitness program specifically for you! We will teach you proper technique so that you remain injury-free while getting you the results you desire.

Resistance Training - Imporoving your muscular strength helps to alleviate joint pain. Additionally, increasing lean mass will maximize the amount of calories you burn while you are NOT working out.

Cardio/Respiratory Training - You will improve your mental and physical energy, your mental clarity, your ability to focus, as well as mental and physical endurance.

Flexibility and Balance - You will also improve your body control, mobility, stability and circulation.

// NUTRITION

We will develop a customized nutritional program for you. Our coaches will be there to educate you and support you every step of the way.

We will focus on three simple concepts:

Nutrition - We will explain to you why a balanced nutritional program is best and how to incorporate the foods you enjoy.

Nutritional Density - We will teach you what foods have high nutrient density and what foods have low nutrient density.

Nutrient Timing - We will educate you about meal timing in order for you to get the most benefit out of the foods you eat.

// SUPPORT

We understand that increasing your level of fitness and improving your nutrition can be dificult. That's why we have hired professionals to coach you who are personally committed to educating and supporting you through out the program.

Coaches - Professional trainers will always be present, coaching and motivating you throughout your program.

Team - You will always be together with your coach and a small group of other members in a unique team-inspired environment.

Support - You will gain support from not only your coaches but your teammates and other members who will be sharing (and able to relate) your experiences.
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    There are "clubs/gyms" for all sorts of things, its not discriminating it is simply getting like minded people together. Rather then thinking it is a hate club against skinny people, it is just trying to get those who would not normally want to go to a gym, to feel comfortable.
    I have to lose about 140ish lbs. I do go to the gym, but I have to talk myself into it everytime. I always feel like the "fat" person that everyone is starring at. They might be looking with disgust, maybe pity, maybe just happy for me. But because I do have a low self-esteem, I always think the worst. I shouldn't but I do. I have to refocus as to why I am there and my goals. It is really hard though. I honestly would love to go to a gym where everyone didn't look like body builders and beauty queens. I would feel more at ease. And it would be nice for the classes to be a little more geared towards obese people, rather then me just having to always modify the activity to fit me. And believe me, if I was to graduate out of the obese gym- I would be a little sad, but even more excited that I am meeting my goals! And besides, maybe they would need past clients to become mentors to current clients
    These are just my thoughts :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • I think it's a great idea. Since people can stay after they have lost weight, it's a really neat concept. I would totally join a gym like this.
  • I like it, I'd join if the price was reasonable, the place was clean, and the staff was encouraging. It would be nice to work out with people that have reached their goal so know exactly where I'd be coming from. Something to think about, some very obese people have been denied membership to gyms. I know, I was one of them. They were afraid I'd have a heart attack on the treadmill or break something due to my weight. I think they were snobs, I wasn't even 300 lbs. I was close, but I wasn't there yet. I think I didn't fit into their spandex version of "gym member". The third gym I checked out had an awesome trainer took me on and I showed them! I lost nearly 100 lbs in a year. (This was a few years ago, I gained 40 back...long story but not the end of it because I'm back on track now. It truly is a journey!)

It was so very very hard to go to the gym that fat. It was an all women's gym, that may have made it easier, but there were women there that snickered. It was always the same two. There was an older lady there who saw someone snickering one day and she made a point to come over to me and say as loud as she could "My goodness dear, you are looking amazing! I see you here 4 days a week sweating your fanny off and you've lost so much weight! You keep it up, I'm proud of you!" She was awesome, she knew where I was coming from, so if she's the kind of people that will meet their goal and keep going to that gym, more power to them! I don't think the overweight will stop going to that gym when they hear it's staffed and patronized by understanding folks that won't criticize and have been there done that got the t-shirt.