Looking for new veggie ideas! please share your faves

Options

Replies

• CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Creamy Spinach
    - Sautée spinach with some finely chopped garlic and add a bit of carnation milk
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Roasted or mashed parsnips

Parsnips are the bomb! I've even managed to convince my husband to like them - they have a nice delicate sweet flavor and lots of fiber. This is a great way to roast them - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/23/health/nutrition/23recipehealth.html?_r=0

Another vegetable that I've really fallen in love with is fresh spinach. It's super easy to quickly wilt it to add to a stir-fry and it's chock-full of healthy vitamins and minerals.
  • lucinda3489
    Options
    Bump
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite sweet potato recipe:

http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-mexican-sweet-potato-skins

I also like to roast veggies - especially cherry tomatoes. Heat your oven to 400 degrees or so, toss the tomatoes with some olive oil and put on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasonings (I like garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and kosher salt). Roast for 15-20 minutes. Yum!

I also sautee spinach and mushrooms in a little bit of butter and minced garlic. Melt butter over medium heat and add mushrooms and garlic. Sautee until mushrooms are golden brown. Toss in some spinach leaves and sautee until just wilted. Enjoy!

Thank you!!!!!

You're welcome!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    1. Do you have a grill pan? if yes, grill them --yum. If not 2. buy a grill pan :)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    asparagus-either tossed in a little evo with salt and pepper and roasted in oven at 400 or blanched in boiling water then sauteed with same
    brussel sprouts (thought i would hate them-love them) ends cut off and sliced in half, sauteed cut side down in a little evo and chicken stock with salt pepper and garlic, gets a little crispy, delicious
    roasted sweet potatoes, boiled slightly first, cubed and in oven
    fresh green beans, blanched and sauteed
    yellow squash and zuc, i slic in half moons, saute with non-fat cooking spray and greek seasoning...delicious-i usually eat most of it while im cooking it:)
    roasted eggplant in oven, topped with light moz cheese
  • Kayeb90
    Kayeb90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Grilled Ratatoulli couscous salad! sooooo great serve chilled! slice and lightly season egg plant,zucchini and squash maybe even onion grill then dice it all upadd some minced garlic, lemon juice, a little vegetable or olive oil cooked plain couscous season to taste. yummy and super healthy eat it on its own or served inside a hollowed out steak tomato or on a bed of your favorite lettuce
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Plain, simple, SUPER DELICIOUS.
    Just cook together red bell peppers and tomato. THAT'S IT
    I know it sounds so plain but the taste is amazingly yummy
    Try it and you'll see what I'm talking about :)
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Right now my top two are 1. roasted cauliflower -- break up head into 9x13 drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and a bunch of garlic bake uncovered 450 for 25 -30 minutes. Sometimes I will sprinkle a little parmesan on at the end of baking.
    2. Zucchini sliced up with onions (sometimes mushrooms too) pour a can of diced tomatoes over the top and mix in basil and oregano. Bake covered until zucchini is soft. Sometimes I will put a little 2% mozzarella on it just before taking it out.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Anything with spinach is the best, and mushrooms. Can't get enough of those. <3

But my fave sweet potato dish is the best of both worlds, it's a "starch side" AND desert all in one!

Microwave 2-3 medium sized sweet potatos for about 12 minutes (I turned them once half way through)
    Peel them from the skin (caution they are HOT! but you want to get to it before it cools)
    Cut them into sections and mash them. (I use a hand masher, no need to dirty up the mixer!)
    Add some butter (real is ideal, but I also use smart balance low sodium butter!)
    Season it with cinnamon and nutmeg
    Add splenda if needed

They replace mashed potato's and they can double over as desert.
  • jlambertjen5
    jlambertjen5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! I am so in love with this vegetable! When they are in season I make a bunch and then freeze it, so I almost always have it on hand.

Heat your oven to 350. Put a little water on a rimmed baking sheet or in a large casserole dish. Cut your squash in half, and put it cut side down onto the baking sheet/casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes. When it's done, let it cool enough to handle. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard them. Then, scrape the spaghetti-like flesh out with a fork (it will already come apart like strands of spaghetti, but I like to use a fork because I feel like it separates the strands better than a spoon).

There are a lot of toppings you can put on the "spaghetti," but I love to keep it simple and mix about 2 cups of the squash with 1/2 cup of jarred tomato sauce, and 1-2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. YUM!!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    A couple of my favorites:

Cauliflower Mash:

Steam 1 head of cauliflower (chopped) w/ a little sea salt, pepper & garlic
    Puree in a blender with 1 cup of 0% fat Fagi yogurt and I use a little I can't believe it's not butter spray but feel free to use whatever you like or nothing...it's very good.

Butternut Squash Soup:

Butternut squash recipe (it's very "rich" tasting but not fattening):

I clean and cut into strips a whole red bell pepper
    Chop a whole Medium sized Onion
    Heat my pan (gallon size) with 2 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Throw in the pepper, get it "blackened"
    Add the onion
    Add 4 cups of diced butternut squash (you can buy this already diced in the grocery -- and it's usually 4 cups)
    Add 2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
    Add 2 Cloves of Garlic
    After 5 minutes, add in 3 cups of water and let it boil
    Cook just until the squash is tender (may only take another 10 minutes)

Cool down, add 2 TBSP of Raw Agave Syrup
    Puree using an immersion blender or let cool enough to add to a regular blender a little at a time and puree

It usually makes 5 - 2 cup servings and is 151 calories; I add a salad to go with it to have some "raw" veg; you can also toss on some fresh sprouts and either sunflower seeds, flax seeds or hemp seeds to give some "crunch" to the soup

Chinese Broccoli with Pine Nuts Yields: 4 Servings
    Habanero chile, which are closely related to scotch bonnet chiles, are among the hottest chiles on the planet. Use them with care. Hmmm, love this one too and yes, I used habaneros.
    3 cups chopped broccoli florets
    ½ cup pine nuts
    1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
    ¼ cup cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
    1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 habanero chile
    1 clove garlic
    ½ teaspoon sea salt
    Combine broccoli and ¼ cup of the pine nuts in a large bowl. Place the remaining ¼ cup of pine nuts and the avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, chile, and garlic in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Pour over the broccoli mixture and season with the sea salt to taste. Marinate for 45 minute in the refrigerator before serving.

I also have a Spanish "rice" that is really good:

Spanish “Rice” Yields: 4 Servings
    The cauliflower retains a ricelike shape and texture in this innovative dish (I like this one)
    1 head cauliflower
    2 ripe tomatoes, diced
    1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed or diced
    1 orange bell pepper, diced
    4 green onions, finely chopped
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro (or parsley)
    ¼ cup cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
    2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 jalapeno chile, minced (optional)
    1 TBSP paprika
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    Grate the cauliflower (or chop in a food processor until rice like) and transfer it to a large bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix well. Yummy!
  • Curvatures
    Options
    Califlour makes an amazing substitute for mashed potatoes! I just tried it recently - cooked, and mashed with a dollop of heavy cream, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LimeGreenFwooper
    LimeGreenFwooper Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump.... everything looks yummy!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Bag of broccoli slaw. Toss in a pan with about 1 Tbl olive oil. Cook down, add chicken breasts(pieces that are already cooked or I use canned when i'm lazy-or sick like today) Cook until warm and veggies are slightly tender. Plate and top with a bit of your fav oriental salad dressing. If you have the room for calories, put it in a wrap and/or add almonds and mandarin orange slices.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Bump. Lots of awesome ideas here.
  • dorlincecum
    dorlincecum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cabbage can be stir fried and it is delicious

Heat a frying pan and melt a little butter add a little evoo to taste. Slice cabbage about one half inches. Cook in oil without stirring on medium heat until a little brown. Stir and put a lid on and cook for a few minutes until desired crispness
  • TriangleWalks91
    Options
    http://twocooksoneblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/stuffed-peppers.html stuffed peppers are a good way - you can really put anything in them. lots of other recipes with vegetables there as well!
  • katelion22
    katelion22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Green beans with roasted grape tomatoes drizzled with balsamic. My new fave!