Crossfit?

Options
I have been doing research on Crossfit and I think I would like to give it a go at some point in my life. I'm always trying new things and expanding my fitness knowledge/ experience. Right now I'm doing New Rules and am loving it so I'm going to wait till I finish the program to start anything new, but I wanted some other people's experiences with crossfit and any advice they could give? :smile:

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My advice - stick with regular lifting
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • autumn_duo
    autumn_duo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My neighbor who was never into fitness has been doing Crossfit for months, she has lost a ton of weight, and she LOVES it.... Her enthusiam is contageous.... I was thinkink about trying it

I am wondering why the previous poster said not to bother
  • Lollypopems
    Options
    I've heard good things about certain Crossfit places. My boyfriend and I will be trying it on Tuesday since he's bored with just going to the gym (even though I love it!), but I'm always willing to try something new.

If someone is going to give their advice, they should also give their reasoning why they have a certain opinion.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Well consider that Crossfit isn't the cheapest way to do anything, the best way to gain muscle or strength, the easiest way to lose weight, the best way to gain endurance, or even to prepare for the crossfit games. Then google "crossfit dangerous"
  • xoalynnxo
    xoalynnxo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Im not a fan of the additional cost of crossfit. If other classes with equiptment are offered at the gym why do I have to pay extra for that? The main negative thing I've seen about crossfit, aside from price, is that it's not focused on training specific parts of the body and it doesnt follow a strict routine. I've heard it recommended for people who don't lift and want some guidance.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    For what it is worth I love cross fit and go weekly.... the complaints about the cost I understand but for me it is offered for free through my Company's Corporate Fitness program. I would recommend it if you're into a high intensity workout plan.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've gone to several Crossfit classes & while I think it can be a great workout, I was very concerned about my form & if I was lifting properly. My option was a personal trainer...just him & I ~ 3-4 times a week. Yes, it's a little pricey, but much cheaper than if I got injured.
  • redmamacita
    redmamacita Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TRY ITTTT. i was hesitant and the cost definitely threw me, but i signed up for a trial month and once that was over, i was hooked. it is SO much fun, so high-energy, and most crossfit boxes (what they call gyms) are very community-oriented. they do a lot of good for the surrounding community as well as encourage members to encourage each other. it's like a big party at every session- everyone helps everyone else out, cheering each other on, etc. it's definitely worth at least trying.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My husband owns his own Crossfit Box... he loves it (obviously)! I enjoy doing it sometimes... If your goal is to lift heavy and to be strong/overal fit it is a great workout/lifestyle. I'm a runner so I don't do it religiously but it is a great change. If you have any questions/concerns feel free to PM me.
  • Emeraude1983
    Emeraude1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Crossfit done right and with a good instructor is an absolutely great workout.

However, where crossfit can become dangerous and people risk injury, is that crossfit classes often emphasize quantity over quality. If you are inexperienced with lifting or only beginning to exercise, crossfit may not be the best choice. The problem I've encountered is that you are not always necessarily taught proper form for certain lifts and exercises and this can lead to injury.
  • velardem7
    Options
    I have never done cross-fit, but I regularly do my own high intensity interval training. I prefer this type of lifting. If you are interested in cross-fit and money is not an obstacle, I recommend trying it. My reasoning is that being fit should be fun and your body/muscles get used to a routine, so swithcing up the routine is good for your muscles and can be fun :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I tried crossfit, got a good workout, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the cost or injury risk. Here's a brief account of my experience

1. Timed group classes are great for experienced lifters, but for relative beginners (I've been doing free weights for 1 year only) it can be dangerous. When you put people in a competitive environment, where things are timed, it can get dangerous. I saw people doing kettlebell work with absolutely atrocious form and zero corrections from nearby staff.

2. It's expensive and offers nothing I can't get out of a traditional gym. The box I went to was in a converted warehouse, and was really rough. After learning a few of the workouts I conceded that I really could do these things anywhere (well not the crazy weight dropping perhaps.) without leaving with plywood splinters in my workout gear.

3. I was the only woman there in a room full of raging testosterone, and I didn't appreciate being leered at.

4. I can do standard pull-ups but was instructed not to, and to use the kipping method instead. I complied against my better judgement and ended up straining my shoulder a bit. It set me back on my usual routine for about a week.

Of course these are just my experiences, but definitely do a trial class at a box before you commit to anything.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well consider that Crossfit isn't the cheapest way to do anything, the best way to gain muscle or strength, the easiest way to lose weight, the best way to gain endurance, or even to prepare for the crossfit games. Then google "crossfit dangerous"

This coming from someone who obviously has never tried it... and has a picture of ice cream as his profile picture. And Crossfit is one of the best ways to gain endurance... it is exactly the workout that Firemen and the Military uses.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love CrossFit. Have been going for 7 months and totally addicted. To me, the cost is worth it. I hate going to the gym. CrossFit has shown me that I am capable of a lot more than I ever thought possible. I cannot express in words how much I LOVE CrossFIt. There is some bad hype regarding it because some trainers will yell in your face to push yourself harder, faster, heavier...DO NOT GO TO THOSE BOX'S!!!! I go 3 times a week and I wish I could go more but I work full time and have 4 young children. I have not been hurt. I have been sore. I have had problems with my wrist (broken several years ago) that some of the exercises aggravated, but the trainers have allowed me to modify the WOD (Workout of the Day) to not aggravate it worse and I listed to my body. I do not push myself past my own limits...I go to the edge a lot but you have to be smart about it. The only crying I have done is when I finish a workout that I thought looked like death to me and I did it. There is no better feeling in the world.

I credit CrossFit for my fitness level. I can do pull ups, I can do handstand push ups, I can run, I can do box jumps, I can deadlift 1.5 my body weight, I can do 3-4 rope climbs in a row without a break, I can bench 75% of my body weight. AND I am NOT bulky!!!

I would recommend going, trying and if you like it, GREAT!!!! If not, don't continue to go. It is addicting but make sure you are going to a good box with good trainers.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I got a groupon for a month of CrossFit.
    I just finished that month and I'm SOOOO sad!!!

I have never been an active person, and I have never been one to stick with working out, but I really really loved CrossFit!

Yes its expensive... But you also have to understand that most CrossFit classes are very small. And you are getting one on one attention as well as a class atmosphere. For the class I went to, we had to reserve a spot in the class (there were only 12 spots), and then have some really intense training. You go with what you know you can do and push yourself in smaller ways. I have seen injuries with the box jumps. I'm personally not a fan of those, and always use the smallest box. But I I'm not much of a jumper anyways. hahaha

If I could afford the cost of my class, I would definitely sign up in a heart beat. The instructor knows and encourages me, the other people in the class are encouraging and helpful. If I miss a class, I'm told that I was missed. And I have only been going for a short time. Because you sign up ahead of time for class spots, you tend to see the same people in the class and you build a relationship with them.

It's definitely fun and challenging and it's cool to participate in an intense workout and know that hardcore athletes and fitness buffs are doing the SAME thing! It was a rush for me since I got into it after not working for over a year!
    Plus it's cool that there is a different work out every day!

Most CrossFit classes let you go to the first one for free. I suggest you look into that and sign up for a free class before buying a membership. :smile:
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit in order to gain endurance and strength so I can get through my Kettle Bell routines. I have a trainer that plans them out and goes through it with me. It does cost, but I don't really care as long as I'm getting the results I want from it.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My sister (a major in the army) has been doing crossfit since she was in Iraq (2 years ago) and she says that it is good however she feels that a if you are going to do it you need to make sure that the trainer is Level 2 certified because Level 1 is like a weekend course. She feels the same with personal trainers. You need to do the research to see how much training they have.

Ultimately the decision is yours. I would say do your research and go from there.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    TRY ITTTT. i was hesitant and the cost definitely threw me, but i signed up for a trial month and once that was over, i was hooked. it is SO much fun, so high-energy, and most crossfit boxes (what they call gyms) are very community-oriented. they do a lot of good for the surrounding community as well as encourage members to encourage each other. it's like a big party at every session- everyone helps everyone else out, cheering each other on, etc. it's definitely worth at least trying.

YES!!!!!! If it is a good box. We have more women than men @ our box and I have never felt like I have been leered at. The guys have always been respectful (but I also do not come in with only a sports bra and volleyball shorts either). I feel like my trainers know me and know what I am capable of.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    My mom joined crossfit and I have 3 friends in crossfit and they LOVE it. My gym membership is up in May 2013 (my birthday month) and I think I am going to try it. I have heard nothing but positive stuff about it. I lift heavy now but I am worried about that day when my classes no longer offer what I need.