People who are married and have lost weight...

Options
I am curious, of you ladies ( and gents!) who have lost say, 50 lbs or more, how did it affect your marriage/relationship? I know my husband loves me either way, but I am curious. Examples of what I am curious about: struggles with eating habit changes at home, struggles with new body making you feel like a different person, etc.

Replies

• Missyelliotfan33
    Missyelliotfan33 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am married to my amazing husband who is currently in Afghanistan and I decided to loose weight while he was gone since it seemed like the perfect opportunity. I can say that he has been fully supportive and the only way it has effected it is he thinks I talk about fitness and loosing weight a lot lol. I think it just seems like a lot because we only talk to each other through skype. He tells me all the time that no matter what I looked like weight size he always thinks I am sexy. Needless to say from what he can see through pictures and Skype he is VERY excited and happy for the progress I have made.
    He is also really happy that I have started eating better because he has been trying to get me to do that for a long time lol
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My wife says she really appreciates the weight loss I've had... Makes things a bit easier... She appreciates the fact that I'm actually doing more and can do more now...
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It has been fantastic for my marriage! I have lost 80 plus pounds and now my husband has lost 20. I have encouraged him to be healthier and hopefully it will extend the time we have together. We have been married for 22 years and I hope to have many many more! We workout together when we can and it has made it so much more fun! In addition we help each other stay on track and when we have treats we split them. The weight loss for me has given me way more confidence and he loves it. In the beginning it was hard to watch him eat junk, but when he saw the changes in me he wanted to change also, so it worked out great!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I am curious, of you ladies ( and gents!) who have lost say, 50 lbs or more, how did it affect your marriage/relationship? I know my husband loves me either way, but I am curious. Examples of what I am curious about: struggles with eating habit changes at home, struggles with new body making you feel like a different person, etc.

My husband is used to me losing weight! I was around 147lbs and a UK size 10/12 (us 6/8) when we met, then i put on weight when I did my teacher training, lost around 42lbs for our wedding, got pregnant straight after, lost the baby weight, got pregnant again, and I've now lost 51lbs after baby no. 2 and can wear clothes I wore when I met him nearly 10 years ago!

I think my love of exercise has encouraged him to think more about exercise, but we've always been healthy. He occasionally gets a pizza or something and I just don't have any. Having young children makes us very aware of what we cook anyway as we want them to grow up with healthy eating habits.

I don't think anything has changed to be honest. He's always loved me and always thought I was gorgeous.
  • mhaight85
    Options
    I haven't lost a whole lot of weight yet, only about 8lbs. However, I've seen some changes in my marriage. At first my husband would get really frustrated because I often don't eat what he cooks now, or just very small portions and since he cooks enough to feed an army it leaves him eating a lot of leftovers. I think he's finally accepted that if he wants to cook unhealthy foods that he needs to cook less of it. Now he is more supportive. I think (and hope) it's starting to make him realize he needs to make some changes in his eating too! I know this would be a lot easier if we were working toward a common goal instead of each of us going separate ways.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would say it has improved for the better as we both try to improve ourselves. I love how attractive he finds me now and love when he compliments my efforts and accomplishements. Our sex life has improved tremendously as well!! A lot of times one person in a relationship drastically changing their lfiestyle helps bring the other person on board too to be healthy with you and better themelves as well.

I have lost 54 pounds and am aiming to lose 37 more.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 30lbs so far but my husband loves it. He gets frustrated sometimes with my calorie checking but sees that it works and appreciates the results ;)
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a fantastic husband. We have been together since he was 15 and I was 17. He loved me then, at about 160 pounds, and he has, to my amazement, loved me when I was nearly 300 pounds. He tells me that he likes me when I am at a lower weight only because my self-esteem is so much better...in other words, he is more likely to see more of me when there is less of me to see. He has been very supportive in my weightloss as he knows that it makes me happy and I have become more energetic to keep up with our kiddo better, which makes all of us happier. My hubby even jokes, or at least I think/hope he's joking, that he will be upset if I get "too skinny".
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband and I decided to lose weight together. So far he has lost 105 pounds and I have lost 117 pounds. I think doing this together has made our relationship stronger. We wholeheartedly support one another.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My husband is pretty supportive, so it seems like same old. I was 19 and very fit when we met, so I think he is secretly looking forward to me getting that body back.
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    I'm not having an easy time...

Hubby keeps saying I'm not fat and I don't need to lose weight, and that he doesn't like skinny girls. For me the weight loss isn't just a vanity thing - it's for my health - I'm diabetic and would like to lose weight to help control it.

And meal times have become a bit of a battle ground... I serve up healthy food, he eats junk for afters...

I'm just getting on with it and leaving him to do his own thing...
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 pounds since February and my wife says I am a lot easier to hug! :smile:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've lost 110 pounds and my husband has lost 30. Not just the weight, but being fit from exercise too. Everything is better, especially the sex. Just sayin. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've only lost about 32 lbs, but I don't think I actually logged my highest weight, so I may be near the 50lb club. My husband is extreamly supportive of me loosing weight. He's always made it a point to tell me that he didn't mind that I had gained the weight - what he DID mind is how much it affected how I viewed myself. I was deperessed. Unmotivated. And not willing to truely do productive things to change my life. I was a a**hole to myself and my body for a good couple years.

I don't like being really heavy. I don't mind a little chunk and curves here and there - but I look and feel so much better when I'm in the category of "slightly heavy" as opposed to morbidly obese.

I love my husband fat, thin, young, or old. So his weight has never been a factor... It's on my side of the equation. I think it has helped our relationship that I made the decision to get healthy. Who wants a dumpy, chunky, frumpy wife that hates how she looks? NO GUY EVER.
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husband was not intersted in participating at first. He wanted to be supportive, but he had long way to go to eat healthly and make good choices. I started using MFP almost 3-years ago when we got iPhones. After the first week when I lost about 5 lbs he jumps on the bandwagon. We then began working together and each lost 30 lbs. Then, I decided to start running. He said he wasn't a runner and wasn't going to run. I said ok and started with Couch to 5K (also on my iPhone). When he saw that I only had to run in very short spurts he said he'd do it one day. Then, he did the second day. The next thing you know we finished the program and ran a 5K. We've done a few more 5K's since then. I've completed three triathlons, one half marathon and six weeks of P90X.

This year I traveled a lot and haven't been able to train. I've gained 10 lbs back. So, I'm back on MFP. He's now back too. We're restarting P90X slowly as well.

How has it affected our relationship? Two skinnier people are a lot more physical than two fatter people in ALL aspects of our life. ;) We're also leading a better example for our two young sons.
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It really didn't change my marriage much.... Seems we are more close now..... He married me when I was a size 18 and I'm a 4 now.... Things are GREAT though.....
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost 110 pounds, and my hubby has lost about 40. It has done fantastic things for us. We both have a lot more energy, and a lot more self confidence. Hubby will not admit to it, but I swear he treats me even nicer now. More door holding, helping out, etc. It's kind of crazy. I don't think he is doing it on purpose, or even realize. Don't want to get too graphic, but it has improved ALL areas of our lives!
  • amwoodruff
    amwoodruff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your stories, team!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    he loved me at 50lbs heavier, I'm certainly easier on the eye for him now! it's hard though eating at weekends or out with him as I don't want to be the obsessive calorie counter I'll eat a lettuce leaf type - but I'm at peace with this being lifestyle and forever, and that has to include yummy food and going over calorie targets too :)
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My husband is so supportive. I couldn't have done this without him. Together, we've lost almost 150 pounds, each about 75ish pounds. I'm so proud of him! He first started doing this with me to help me because he knew how unhappy I was with my weight. We're so much more active, it's really helped our marriage, I think. Now, instead of playing on the computer or watching TV, we take a nightly walk and that's our time to catch up over the day and to talk about things that need to. We're more active, happy, and healthier. Sure, there's struggles. He doesn't understand why I'm so hard on myself when I don't lose the weight I want to (he's much more chill about that), but he's a man. :P And doesn't understand the frustration that is women's clothing! He's got it easy in comparison!

But it's been the best decision we ever made, and one I couldn't have done without him!

As far as the calorie counting... I dunno. I'm that person. That unashamed person that no matter who I am with or where I am at, my phone's out and the words, "I wonder how expensive /that/ is!" Everyone who's a part of my life knows and understands. /Especially/ my husband. So, be you, do what you gotta do! He'll still love you and will congratulate you on your perseverance!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!