PSA: Subway's nutritional info is underestimated

Options
I have heard from a guy who owns a couple of Subway's that the nutritional information for subway is based on the corporation's idea of serving sizes. The employees working there go WAY over it. For example, they are supposed to put only 3 pickles on a six inch sub when you request it. Employees routinely just grab a handful. You might think, "Big deal, an extra pickle." Well, just imagine how many other corporations have employees who do not follow the recommended serving sizes. Baskin Robbin's and Cold Stone Creamery are other examples. A scoop, per the corporation's instructions, is a lot smaller than the massive quantities you are likely to get when you go there.

I can vouch for Starbucks, having worked there, that the serving sizes are very regimented. It is very easy to follow how much syrup to put in a drink because all of their pumps are proprietary and consistently distribute the same amount of syrup each time. Also, the cups are made so that the syrup to milk to coffee ration is equal no matter what size you get. I have heard similar things about Tim Horton's coffees. A double double tastes the same regardless of what size you get because the machines are calibrated to deliver the perfect ratio each time.

Five Guys or Chipotle, however? I doubt that they follow the guidelines strictly just because every employee has a different hand size.

Replies

• Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I really wish I hadn't read this..!!
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Subway being inaccurate but I can say something about Five Guys.. I ate a burger and a thing of curly fries there about a year ago and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest for hours afterwards.. I will NEVER eat there again. I am to young for a heart attack!

Even if Subway is off, I imagine it is still a good deal healthier than most any other quick food I can think of at the moment.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The meat and bread sizes at Subway are pretty consistent I'd have thought.
    The sauce I'm sure they put way more than 'a serving' on - I always ask for a 'little bit of'...
    I didn't think they mentioned the salad in the nutritional information. I'm quite happy for them to pack my sub with salad - would again ask for 'just a few' if that was what I wanted.

I've worked in starbucks some time ago - the way a cappuccino was made did vary a fair bit, which would affect the amount of milk you get
    We made ours "to the manual", but were always being told "well, the Oxford Street store doesn't do it like that".
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Subway here doesn't have a reputation as being a healthy place to eat, that's interesting. Here I would say people look at it like any other fast food outlet. Don't the sandwiches have like 800 calories anyway?
  • sophia_uk
    sophia_uk Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really wish I hadn't read this..!!

Hahahaha! Me too!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Why eat there anyway? The biggest reason for most people on here is bad food choices. regardless of how much they protest. Which is why most are here to begin with

A sandwich may have a lot of good veg and meat but it is wrapped in bread. Over comsumption of bread and carbohydrates are a huge factor in body fat gain.

Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you work out then have them afterwards, snacking on things like this is what got people in trouble in the first place.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting. You never really think about this sort of thing do you? But portion size is SO important!! I weight almost everything out at home so i know that i'm not going over but when i go out for lunch i never think about it!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. Of course it's not 100% accurate.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yay! Free food!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Portion size is irrespective, the calories consumed per day is what counts.

If portion size dictated fat loss or gain why do programmes such as lean gains and carb back loading work? You can eat as much as you want within a certain timeframe, I know that eating up to 1200 kcals during this window, portion size is not important as it won't cause you to store body fat.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this matters given the information you put, but I found this really great subway calorie calculator. You just put in what you get for a sandwich (eg: 1 slice tomato, 3 olive slices, 3 pickles) and it'll tell you the calories and other nutritional information. I think this way you actually get a better estimate of what you're eating. You just keep clicking on "one slice tomato" until you have all of your tomato slices.

I personally view subway as a treat, not something to be eaten as part of a health meal :smile: Thanks for this information:

Here's a link to the calculator:

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/calculators/subway-sandwich-calorie-carb-nutrition-calculator.php
  • MissRose888
    MissRose888 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree; I go to Subway. . .a LOT. I'm talking 3-4 times a week. I usually order the same things. There are always 4 slices of turkey each time. I skip the cheese, but usually two half-slices (equivalent of one full cheese slice) on a 6-inch sub. That's the high-calorie part. Yes an extra pickle might add a FEW calories, or some extra jalepenos might be higher in sodium or calories, but I think for the most part, Subway considers veggies to be negligible amounts of calories, therefore I wouldn't be overly concerned. Now, what I WOULD be concerned about is the measures of the extra sauces which do NOT seem to be portioned very well, such as mayo, dressing, or other 'sauce' toppings they offer.

Smart alternative - ask for a portion-controlled packet of light/fat-free dressing to dress your sandwich yourself, or their light mayo whcih comes in 35-calorie packets instead of having them put in on directly from the bottle.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just don't put mayo and it doesn't matter. Pickles have no calories, by the way.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    wow I agree with above post....stay away from the mayo, oil and all the bad fat from Subway.........

btw...I had Subway for dinner.....footlong turkey /wheat....lettuce.. tomato..onion...black pepper.....((done))

I love when they ask any mayo/oil....my reply is always the same.....isnt this suppose too be healthy?
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You're worried about the wrong thing. My footlong ham and cheese always, always, always has 8 slices of ham (turkey) and 4 half-slices of cheese and 4-5 slices of tomato. The tomato and the spinach calories, even from a heavy-handed preparer, are negligable (sp?). This calorie-counitng business that we've put ourselves in (I'm not dissing the calorie counting -- I've lost 42 pounds with MFP in 2012 so far) is an attempt at our best estimate.

Every nutrition label has the very best measured calories on the it, but sometimes the processing provides for more of a certain ingredient (a sauce, for example, in a microwavable meal) in one package than another and it's not "caught" because the weight is spot on. Sometimes 100g of two red delicious apples does not have the same calorie count because one grew with a slightly higher water content. Sometimes there is a strip of bacon in a package that is noticeably thinner cut than its package mates -- not the same calorie/nutrition content. We are working to log calories to our very best estimate. When a company computes the nutritional facts for it product, it is making batches for say 1000 servings and averaging the numbers across the entire batch, whereas each individual serving (despite the best efforts and the use of precise machinery) is not necessarily exact.

If you have concern about underestimating calories, add 100 or 200 calories to cover all the underestimates that you can't be certain of. At the same time, underestimate the calories you burn, too, as those calories are also a best estimate and may just as easily be miscalculated.

Good luck with your jouneys -- just do your best and the rest will follow.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I've eaten plenty of restaurant food while losing weight. Underestimation or not, I still lost 60lbs. Sooo what, would I have lost an extra pound or two if they were more careful with their portioning? Don't really care.
  • ynotcycle
    ynotcycle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I guess Subway isn't so bad at least for what I usually order. A 6" Turkey on honey oat with lettuce, green peppers, spinach, onion,jalapeno, and a little salt and pepper. I never get oils or cheese. I think its worth something like 280 or 380 calories? need to look again, but im usually hungry within a couple hours.

even with the low calorie count, is it so hi in carbs that its not good?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Subway here doesn't have a reputation as being a healthy place to eat, that's interesting. Here I would say people look at it like any other fast food outlet. Don't the sandwiches have like 800 calories anyway?
    If you have one of the higher fat foot longs, yes.

I go for Turkey Breast and Ham on Italian 6", which comes in at 287 or something calories, yet is WAY more filling than a 400 calorie McDonalds burger.
    A sandwich may have a lot of good veg and meat but it is wrapped in bread. Over comsumption of bread and carbohydrates are a huge factor in body fat gain.
    Over consumption is a big factor, yes. Thanks to providing the nutrition information and the lower calorie subways being a relatively non-dense calorie fast food, it makes a good choice.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Look, I'm not dissing subway since it's one of the healthiest fast food restaurants. But I think that ANY fast food establishment is probably underestimating their calories on the website because corporate recommendations are stingy. Whether you care or not is up to you. I happen to care. I care less about extra salad but you better believe I care when a chipotle employee puts an extra 300 cals worth of cheese or guac on my burrito bowl. My solution to this problem is to get the most basic version of the burrito bowl (which tastes okay but is kind of a rip off at that point) or to avoid fast food altogether.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Human error is always there unless things are weighed.