PSA: Subway's nutritional info is underestimated

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    1. Companies only have to be accurate within a 20% margin.

2. There really is no regulation or enforcement, so it could be worse than we know.

It's an estimate. That's all. Stop eating out if youre really worried about it. That's the solution. At home, you have total control, well, assuming the calories on those items are accurate. Lol. Which, I doubt they are.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Why eat there anyway? The biggest reason for most people on here is bad food choices. regardless of how much they protest. Which is why most are here to begin with

A sandwich may have a lot of good veg and meat but it is wrapped in bread. Over comsumption of bread and carbohydrates are a huge factor in body fat gain.

Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you work out then have them afterwards, snacking on things like this is what got people in trouble in the first place.

Ate Subway nearly every day while losing 90lbs.

OH NOES THE BREAD!! My weight loss is a lie!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Why eat there anyway? The biggest reason for most people on here is bad food choices. regardless of how much they protest. Which is why most are here to begin with

A sandwich may have a lot of good veg and meat but it is wrapped in bread. Over comsumption of bread and carbohydrates are a huge factor in body fat gain.

Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you work out then have them afterwards, snacking on things like this is what got people in trouble in the first place.

Ate Subway nearly every day while losing 90lbs.

OH NOES THE BREAD!! My weight loss is a lie!!

Oh no!!!! I eat it every week! I'm worried my weight loss is a lie also!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten there in a long time, but when I lost more than 30 pounds at nearly 2 pounds a week despite being in a healthy weight range, I ate there all the time. So it can't be so off that it makes a huge difference.

EDITED TO ADD: I always got mayo and cheese on my subs. Just sayin'.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    * dreaming of a 6 inch chicken mayo sub on hearty Italian bread....*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

*sigh*
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options

lmao. You can't speak for everyone love. I'm at my goal weight now and I got there by eating as many carbs as I pleased, just keeping my calories and saturated fat in check. Carbs are GOOD FOR YOU.
  • SlickDaddyCool
    SlickDaddyCool Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just get a 6 inch Subway ham, turkey, roast beef, or chicken on wheat. Don't add cheese or mayo and you're good every time! 300ish cals!! And it's a big tasty sandwich. Don't stress over the bread. Carbs are not evil!

I'm currently trying to copy their bread at home. So I can have Subway subs morning, noon, and night!!! lol!!!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Hrmmm. I don't think I agree completely about Subway. Most of the "bad stuff" like meat, cheese and breads are pre-measured. With the exception of condiments which can add a ton of calories, all you have left are veggies. Most of them are super low cal so we are talking a difference of 50 calories or less. I just get yellow mustard on mine because most of them are 5 calories or less. So, it cant be that much of a difference.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh realllllllyyyyyyyyy?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

lmao. You can't speak for everyone love. I'm at my goal weight now and I got there by eating as many carbs as I pleased, just keeping my calories and saturated fat in check. Carbs are GOOD FOR YOU.

Yep this..we need some carbs nom nom nom
  • Dauntlessness
    Options
    Oh...I forgot the cheese is NOT estimated on the nutrition pamphlet they provide.. Just a side note.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    To put everyone's fears to rest, I worked at a Subway.

Every single meat portion is regulated. Down to the little steak cups, which we had to weight every darn tootin' mornings xD It was a hassle, but I can tell you this much: the cheese and meat is always calculated (unless you get shredded cheese, in which occasion it depends on whoever's using the spoon - or not - but from my own experience, bosses are pretty stiff about using less rather than more.

The bread is also all manufactured to be the same weight on a 12 inches, so the slight difference you might get from that employee with a slightly off measurement you'll make back next time.

You can always ask to get the sauce on the side in a little cup. We were instructed to put in 2 lines of mayo during training. Most people see that as too little, though. I've made a few sandwiches with literally an inch of mayo over some skimpy lettuce -_-' Ew. What you could do is ask the employee for a wave, it's what I did towards the end. People felt there was more because it was better spread out, when in reality there was less. Teach that trick to the peeps working there, they'll love you for it ;) (and you'll be doing a favor to everyone else, in a way!)

Just... don't add salt, guys. The meat tends to be really high in sodium by default. Ya don,t need more than what's already there. And stay away from the cookies (speaking from experience xD Employees had dibs on crumbs and too old leftovers >_<).

'Course to me it's a treat now. I go there and get a 6" pork or spicy italian (pepperoni and salami) sub with southwest sauce once in a while. Amounts up to 600ish calories, substitutes bad greasy pizza very well when I have a craving, IMO :)
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Every single meat portion is regulated. Down to the little steak cups, which we had to weight every darn tootin' mornings xD It was a hassle, but I can tell you this much: the cheese and meat is always calculated (unless you get shredded cheese, in which occasion it depends on whoever's using the spoon - or not - but from my own experience, bosses are pretty stiff about using less rather than more.

The bread is also all manufactured to be the same weight on a 12 inches, so the slight difference you might get from that employee with a slightly off measurement you'll make back next time.

You can always ask to get the sauce on the side in a little cup. We were instructed to put in 2 lines of mayo during training. Most people see that as too little, though. I've made a few sandwiches with literally an inch of mayo over some skimpy lettuce -_-' Ew. What you could do is ask the employee for a wave, it's what I did towards the end. People felt there was more because it was better spread out, when in reality there was less. Teach that trick to the peeps working there, they'll love you for it ;) (and you'll be doing a favor to everyone else, in a way!)

Just... don't add salt, guys. The meat tends to be really high in sodium by default. Ya don,t need more than what's already there. And stay away from the cookies (speaking from experience xD Employees had dibs on crumbs and too old leftovers >_<).

'Course to me it's a treat now. I go there and get a 6" pork or spicy italian (pepperoni and salami) sub with southwest sauce once in a while. Amounts up to 600ish calories, substitutes bad greasy pizza very well when I have a craving, IMO :)

I eat my steak sub with a bag of chips and usually a cookie. I'm not worried about pickles.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Over estimating the veg isn't really that bad, in fact when you use their online nutritional calculators, they rarely add calories to the subs total. If you roll in there asking for double meat and extra cheese, yeah, it's bad for you. But in that case, it's also sort of your own fault for ordering it that way. In terms of the condiments, this is where the employee can really over-estimate a serving size, the dispensers are kind of crap for dosing out a perfect ounce. But truthfully, if you're ordering a 6" and keeping it to a leaner cut of lunch meat, without cheese, the extra sauce won't tank your day. Really its about self control, if you're concerned about the sauce content of your sandwich, don't order it with sauce, or ask for it on the side. But also don't jump off the deep end and think the extra olive(s) or cucumber slice(s) added to the sub is bad for you either. Most people on here, myself included, eat subway on the regular... and we're still losing weight... so really a 6" sub versus any other option in terms of fast food, is still the better option in my book.
  • Dauntlessness
    Options

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/files/nutritionvalues.pdf
    This says nothing about cheese included...but it doesn't say meat either. Maybe Im wrong. haha
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Over estimating the veg isn't really that bad, in fact when you use their online nutritional calculators, they rarely add calories to the subs total. If you roll in there asking for double meat and extra cheese, yeah, it's bad for you. But in that case, it's also sort of your own fault for ordering it that way. In terms of the condiments, this is where the employee can really over-estimate a serving size, the dispensers are kind of crap for dosing out a perfect ounce. But truthfully, if you're ordering a 6" and keeping it to a leaner cut of lunch meat, without cheese, the extra sauce won't tank your day. Really its about self control, if you're concerned about the sauce content of your sandwich, don't order it with sauce, or ask for it on the side. But also don't jump off the deep end and think the extra olive(s) or cucumber slice(s) added to the sub is bad for you either. Most people on here, myself included, eat subway on the regular... and we're still losing weight... so really a 6" sub versus any other option in terms of fast food, is still the better option in my book.

It's not bad for you if it fits into your daily caloric goal!!!!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Bring it to the sandwich artists attention next time.

And thanks OP now I want subway....and lunch is 5 hours away.:sad:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

lulz
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just go by whatever estimated calories are listed, whether with mayo or w/o, or whatever (this goes for any food service establishment). Based on a comparison on sheer volume of what I eat now vs. volume I used to eat, I am most certainly consuming less calories. And, therefore, losing weight. So, this does not worry me.