I've personally added "Sitting at Work" as an exercise...

Options

Replies

• lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who SAT on their REAR for 9 years on the computer at work - and went from 150 to 251 - NO, sitting at work does NOT burn that many calories. No I didn't exercise either and ate too much---but trust me, if I had burned that many calories per day sitting at my computer while I work, would never have had the problem that led me to this weight loss journey!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That would be included in your daily activity calories already...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Not only that, you should write a book about it.

Call it "Sit on your *ss to get Ripped."

And the sequel, 'Ripped *ss in 7 Days'
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Never count your daily stuff into an "exercise" category... these are things your body is used to. It should already be counted into your TDEE since you burn calories for EVERYTHING you do. Sitting, drinking, staring blankly at your computer screen and pretending to look intense in thought and busy. It's like people who say "I prepped dinner tonight, let me track that for exercise" It's not exercise! It's your daily life. That's why MFP doesn't set your calroies at BMR.
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    actually I think logging 'sitting at work' a good idea - if only because it would prompt me to do less of it!!! Knowing that I spent 8 hours or so just sitting and not moving (by moving I mean even just walking around the office) would be a good motivation to do more activity.

I'd love to be able to log this, negatively. -700 calories for being a lazy-*kitten*. Take the stairs.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    photo.jpeg
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I sit for my job and I don't think what you read is accurate. But if you get up and go doing your day then you may burn a few calories but I don't think it's as much as they say. If that was the case, I would be a size 0...hahahahaha.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    sounds like a solid plan to get fat

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

And the sequel, 'Ripped *ss in 7 Days'

That's already a movie.

Not that I've seen it or anything.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start counting the calories I burn laughing at you people. :wink: :laugh: I bet it adds up quickly.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    reshelving books is a physically taxing job? :huh:
    I wouldn't say "taxing", but it's a lot of squatting and bending. I worked in a library during high school. Since I was already in a fitness program, sometimes squatting once or twice per minute to shelve books on the bottom shelves would kill my legs. I would definitely consider it "lightly active", especially since you're on your feet all day. I'd estimate I did about 75 squats in an eight-hour shift.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start counting the calories I burn laughing at you people. :wink: :laugh: I bet it adds up quickly.

this. i'm gonna log the calories i burned typing this...*eyeroll*
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything as exercise unless it gets my heart rate up into the fat burning zone. I would never consider vacuuming, folding towels, cooking, or grocery shopping as exercise. To me, that's figured into my daily activities since people with sedentary jobs do all of those things as part of their daily life.

For things like moving boxes into the attic and stuff that uses a bit more energy, I just figure it as a bonus. I don't log it, especially if it's only 15-20 minutes. Moving someone into a second-floor apartment all day, yes. Cleaning my house, even spring cleaning? No. I like to err on the side of caution and underestimate my exercise.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Same reason why you shouldn't add self love. It counts as daily activity. What...who said that....wasn't me....
  • RmYWarrioR
    RmYWarrioR Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You know, You really can't count those calories sitting at your desk, at work. To me those are maintenance calories, those calories that your body uses to maintain normal function. I do count my lawn mowing minutes as Cardio simply because I do it once a week and I use a push mower, not a riding mower. Personally I feel that those people that count calories for sitting in a chair at work, watching TV, washing dishes or doing light house work are out of touch with what fitness and healthy exercise are really all about. They are just making themselves feel good about doing really nothing to speed up weight loss.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything as exercise unless it gets my heart rate up into the fat burning zone. I would never consider vacuuming, folding towels, cooking, or grocery shopping as exercise. To me, that's figured into my daily activities since people with sedentary jobs do all of those things as part of their daily life.

For things like moving boxes into the attic and stuff that uses a bit more energy, I just figure it as a bonus. I don't log it, especially if it's only 15-20 minutes. Moving someone into a second-floor apartment all day, yes. Cleaning my house, even spring cleaning? No. I like to err on the side of caution and underestimate my exercise.

what I've done before is if I spent 5 hours super cleaning the house so I could put up the christmas decorations say (including digging all the boxes out of the various places I've put them) I dont log the full 5 hours - but only 1/2 if there's been a lot of up and down the ladders (for outside stuff) and only 1/4 if it's inside stuff
  • shayyyface
    Options
    don't look for the easy way out.
    it seems like people are just looking for reasons to add more food into their intake.
    isn't that how must of us got here in the first place?

my opinion, dont even log your exercise calories, you'll notice a bigger difference, and if you feel you gotta eat more than eat a little more. but just because you sit in a chair for 8 hours doesnt mean you can go home and have an extra slice of pizza. -___-
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Same reason why you shouldn't add self love. It counts as daily activity. What...who said that....wasn't me....

hahahaha :laugh: "self love"
  • mercymarque
    Options
    sounds like u would be adding calories to eat... I use to add sitting on stability ball instead of chair but honestly these are things we already do. I personally only add things like exercise dvd, sports, gym, swimming etc. Things that we are just doing now to keep fit or things that make us sweat. Everything else may count but to me it's just part of ur regular burn. JMO
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    As others have said, these calories are built in to your activity level. I really like this calculator:
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

You can play around with it to get an idea of how much you burn on any given day, based on the actual activities you did that day (sitting, running, sleeping, whatever).

If this is quite accurate my TDEE is way more then what it has been being calculated as 4,335 and my BMR as 2,139 whereas on other calculators like scooby and fat2fit and MFP it is more like BMR is 1,923 and TDEE is 2,317 with my lifestyle set as sedentary since I am a stay at home mom...maybe I need to up my lifestyle setting -__-