EX-HUSBAND Christmas gift

Options

Replies

• know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    How much do you usually spend? How about taking the kids to pick something out? The best gifts were the ones that were handmade by our son and didn't come from the store. Anything the kids pick out or make is sweet! :) Then it really is from them instead of something from you, which it sounds like you want to avoid.

Well, for his birthday, "we" ended up buying him a Dolce & Gabanna watch (he loves watches). It pretty much cost more than a mortgage payment, but I knew he'd love it & the kids thought it was great. We gave it to him and he said "he loved it" which i'm sure he did, what's not to love? It's a beautiful watch & it LOOKED expensive (which is something he'd appreciate). Anyways, come father's day (shortly after) his MOTHER bought him a cheap replica watch (off the internet) and he decided (like he always did) that "what comes from his mother is better" and totally scrapped the watch from his kids and wore the cheap replica his mother bought.

That's all fine.....BUT, I've decided to go cheaper ever since, just so it's not such a big loss if he tosses it to the side.

I'd say in the 50-100$ range.

He chose the cheap knock off? Ugh. I don't blame you for sticking with a lower price range. How old are your kids? Are they old enough to pick out the gift for their dad themselves? That's always cute.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I was going to do their hands in plaster or some crap like that. Or perhaps have them make him ornaments.

Last year I got him a keychain shaped like that Christmas story lamp..
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    My daughter is getting pictures taken next weekend...he will get copies of those as a gift. MAYBE in a frame if he is lucky.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Post a Craigslist ad for him and make sure his phone number is on the ad. Preferably in the casual encounters section.

LOL :)

when I moved him out of my house, I put his belongings into a box. I threw in my half full tube of lube, his MANY condoms & told him to tell his girlfriend "your welcome" (he didn't know I knew about his "secret gf") hahahaha. I didn't give a rats *kitten*, but apparently it was supposed to be "on the down low"? not sure why?
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    A stack of singles
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    well this one requires a little more effort on your part...take pictures of the kids artwork etc, and the kids, and print a book for him. actually, print a few copies and make one for each grandparent's home as well. I've been meaning to do this forever...have the artwork pictures, just haven;t gotten it done.
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    How much do you usually spend? How about taking the kids to pick something out? The best gifts were the ones that were handmade by our son and didn't come from the store. Anything the kids pick out or make is sweet! :) Then it really is from them instead of something from you, which it sounds like you want to avoid.

Well, for his birthday, "we" ended up buying him a Dolce & Gabanna watch (he loves watches). It pretty much cost more than a mortgage payment, but I knew he'd love it & the kids thought it was great. We gave it to him and he said "he loved it" which i'm sure he did, what's not to love? It's a beautiful watch & it LOOKED expensive (which is something he'd appreciate). Anyways, come father's day (shortly after) his MOTHER bought him a cheap replica watch (off the internet) and he decided (like he always did) that "what comes from his mother is better" and totally scrapped the watch from his kids and wore the cheap replica his mother bought.

That's all fine.....BUT, I've decided to go cheaper ever since, just so it's not such a big loss if he tosses it to the side.

He chose the cheap knock off? Ugh. I don't blame you for sticking with a lower price range. How old are your kids? Are they old enough to pick out the gift for their dad themselves? That's always cute.

My kids just turned 4. They are pretty clueless when it comes to gifting. I asked them what they wanted to get daddy and they said "hearts" & then when I probed further....."okay, a thomas the tank engine and an airplane". I'm like uhhh that's what YOU want lol
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Generic meat and cheese platter, or a gift card to Crapplebees.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Gift card

Nothing says "I really don't give a **** what you think of this gift" more than a gift card. :laugh:

I LOVE THIS and use this for that exact reason.

Plenty of them at Target. Or get him a Target one.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options

Damn...my now ex-wife barely spent that when we were together...you are a very sweet person. What is he into?
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Gift card

Nothing says "I really don't give a **** what you think of this gift" more than a gift card. :laugh:

Totally this. You can pick it up next time you're at the grocery store with a $1 Hallmark card and be done with it. Do the craft with the kids for the grandparents -- they'll appreciate it!
  • MissAnjy
    Options
    Gift card

I LOVE THIS and use this for that exact reason.

Plenty of them at Target. Or get him a Target one.

He used to work at Boston Pizza. He was actually set to become GM of the franchise here in town. When I divorced him, he quit his job (for whatever reason) and decided to go around collecting grease and restoring it with his best friend.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wanted to get him a BP gift card this Christmas. Just as a joke, but I know he wouldn't find it funny LOL (oh, and his gf works there)
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Tickets to a theatre for him and the kids? An ice show? Indoor swimming pass? Local sports game tix for him and the kids- stress the this is to do with the kids part..lol
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Take the kids to the Dollar Store and let them pick what they want. Could be entertaining for you too :)
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely do a craft from the kids. I think that's a great idea.
    I just worry that he will be "pissed off" because he's VERY spoiled & will not be satisfied with something "cheap".
    Any time the kids make something when they are with him, or from school, he sends it home to me.

He really has very little to do with our kids, so he doesn't quite get the importance of homemade things, or things the kids do.

This is the guy who when his son said "I love you daddy" replied with "That's nice, get in the car" (after not seeing him for 2 weeks).

Not exactly a sentimental schmuck anymore when it comes to them. Pretty much divorced them when I divorced him.

BUT the craft thing would at least be fun for them to do.
    Then I say be done with it. It's the thought that counts, and if he doesn't appreciate the thought anyway, quit worrying about what to get him, and let the kids enjoy themselves doing something.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Get your kids to scribble a bunch of randomness on a piece of paper, throw some sparkles on that b!tch. Bam - Merry Christmas!!

Lol!
  • MissAnjy
    Options

Damn...my now ex-wife barely spent that when we were together...you are a very sweet person. What is he into?

Honestly, he's into......himself lol

he's extremely hard to buy for, and always was, because his mother takes over all the "wifely duties". I mean, a WIFE is supposed to buy her husbands boxers, socks, deoderant, cologne, clothes, pajamas etc.......his mother did all that and TRUMPED anything I bought (of the same caliber) because hers was always better (yeah, he's that guy)

So even then I never knew what to buy for him. I used to get him electronics (tvs, blu rays, appliances, etc) but that is a little much these days :)

Hard to buy him things now because I have no idea what he owns? I don't know what his gf buys him etc.
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    Id say give him an email confirmation, printed out, wrapped.. that shows him he has confirmed his new account at Christian Singles... Tell him it's what God wanted you to do.

:bigsmile:
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Get your kids to scribble a bunch of randomness on a piece of paper, throw some sparkles on that b!tch. Bam - Merry Christmas!!

This. Home made gift sounds the best.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Id say give him an email confirmation, printed out, wrapped.. that shows him he has confirmed his new account at Christian Singles... Tell him it's what God wanted you to do.

:bigsmile:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA