5'3" ladies!

Options

Replies

• SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3'' and 3/4 inch and I weigh about 110 lbs and feel great, but I'm small-boned which makes a big difference. Sometimes I do actually want to gain a little more weight, but I figure as long as I'm getting in enough clean calories and exercising regularly, I should be good. Each person is different. The most important thing is to eat clean, do cardio, and do strength training. Everything else will take care of itself : ) best of luck to you.

SW: 143.0 in March
    CW: 110.0

lost: 33 lbs yay!

wow well done!
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The obsession with using "weight" as an end all be all is concerning to me (not just the OP but in general). Weight can be an adequate measure of "progress" but many are locked into a number as opposed to health and fitness. More need to focus on Body Fat %, muscular and cardiovascular strength, flexibility and overall sense of well being.

There needs to be a reassessment of personal goals.

well said!
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3" and according to the people we all refer to as They i shouild be between 125 - 140. Back in 2004 I was very close to my goal weight of 135... i was at 150 and my freinds and family all got together and confronted me and said that I was getting too thin and that i wasn't looking well. i think it depends on who you are and how your body is built. Right now i am 190, but i'm wearing the same exact clothes that i did back then at 150lb.... you're body changes and health is not one size fits all.
  • montastrophe
    montastrophe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'3" and 125 and I have a small frame. I wear a size 4 ring, very petite wrists and ankles (my ankle is 7.5 inches in circumference) and I my goal is 108. Everyone is different! Whatever your goal is, please feed yourself right, give your body fun and challenging exercise, and make sure you're not depriving yourself of social, physical interactions with friends or family for the sake of avoiding food or adhering to a rigid routine. Good luck to you all.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's honestly going to vary person to person. Depends on your body composition (how much muscle you have), your frame size, your general shape (how you carry your weight), as well as your personal taste and what kind of look you're going for. I'd originally set a goal for 129 lbs, not really knowing if that was right or not. I'm about 127, and trying to decide whether or not to lose more or maintain. Part of the problem is I don't have a good perception of how I look at the moment - I can't really see the changes yet. I don't want to just keep losing weight while waiting for my brain to catch up.

Another thing is that I'm apple-shaped, so while I'd love to lose more fat from my abdomen and back, other parts of my body are looking a little too skinny for my liking. I may lose a bit more fat, but I'm going to have to accept that I'm never going to be very curvy, nor willowy. I'm kind of "sturdy", and I certainly don't want to lose any of the muscle I have right now.

If you can, try and get a good estimate of your body fat percentage. Then, if you know what percentage you'd like to be, this tool helps you work out what weight you'd need to be: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

If you haven't already seen it, this website is good for seeing what different women look like at certain heights and weights. If anything, it makes you realise what a wide variety of body shapes there is. http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and currently 150, started at 162, and my goal is 135.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on the amount of muscle you have and your body shape.
    I'm 5' 3" and currently bounce between 127-130. I'm very happy here.
    I think you have to chose a weight that feels right for you. Some people might think you look too thin, but they might also have a different perception of what is a normal weight. As we get larger as a society, I think our view of what is normal gets more skewed. :flowerforyou:
  • Michshellars
    Options
    Hi everyone!

And great job, everyone, with your amazing weight loss stories. I'm just under 5'2...actually 5"1.5 lol, and at my smallest I was 117 lbs (many moons ago) and looked kind of sick. I'm going for 125 now and maybe even 120. I looked at this chart, which tells you what your BMI would be at each height and weight. http://bmi.emedtv.com/bmi/bmi-chart-for-women.html

I definitely think that it depends on your body composition as well, some people are more muscular and muscle weighs more. So I wouldn't take this or any chart as a hard and fast rule, you really have to rely on yourself and see how you feel.

Good luck!!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I've gone from 214.5lbs in July 2011 to 128lbs in November 2012. I've re-adjusted my goal weight a few times, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stop at 125lbs.
  • aliez
    aliez Posts: 11
    Options
    For woman its 100 lbs for 5 feet tall then add 5 pounds for every inch over 5"1 is 105 5"2 is 110 and so on
  • Pualana
    Options
    Okay, to be honest, I use to be 5'4". As I aged, I have shrunk a bit. As my family doctor said one "I got some good news and some bad news for you. The good news is that you're shrinking, but (gesturing with his hands) the bad news is it length wise not width wise." When I was 5'4", I weighed around 100 lbs, and was athletic as like crazy. This is before having my kids! I gained a lot over the pregnancies, nd found that now as I am older it harder to lose the weight. I started at 165 lbs 6 months ago, and I am now averaging around 125 lbs. My goal is to get down to around 105 lbs, and increase my time exercising up to 2 hours daily. As for size, there are many formulas...my former boss said that your dress size should be one half of decade of your age (i.e. 23 years old < 2 divided by two > is1.) to every....
    Anyhow, good luck!!!!! inch over 5 feet one is for a small frame. I hope not to gain weight over the holidays
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    my first goal is 140, then ultimately 120.
  • melandian
    Options
    I'm the same height. Looking to loose 20 lbs
    To get to 135. I've recently lost 50 lbs. gaine 10
    Back this summer ( grr damn 40 th bday). I'd be happy
    W that weight. I'm new here. So ant help is great
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    honey....for a 5'3" female...i may have this wrong but I believe the recommended weight is around 135.....I am between 5'3" and 5'4" and I'm at 198 right now....i think if i got down to 135 i would look like a crack head....go with whatever weight you feel comfortable and think you look good at...an ideal weight is an average of however many people in a certain age range and certain height range....it doesn't mean that it's right for everyone....and if you stress over not being the "ideal" weight then you're going to make yourself unhappy and possibly sick in other areas....believe me i know this sounds like a lot of kumbyah crap but it's taken me a while not to be so hard on myself about the way I look....I still don't like it but I'm working on it... :smile:

135 is on the high end of normal for 5'3" according to bmi. i'm 5'4" and at 135, i believe i looked overweight. it really depends on the body shape and muscles. i look better at below 120 at my height.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

I really don't trust that method of determining bone size. It just means that your wrist is that size. my fingers overlap which would indicate that i'm small boned, but i'm definitely not small boned if you look at my wide hips and wide frame size. even at my lowest weight of 105, i had wide hips and wore bigger pants size than everyone else at my weight and height.

i also think that website is a little high in its estimates. it tells me that if i plug in 5'4", small bone structure and my height of 119, that i'm underweight. 119 is not underweight by bmi standards, so i'm not sure why it would be based on having a small frame (which i don't anyway, but based on my wrist size i do)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2.5" so i guess i fit in here! trying to get down to 122. I did it before so am confident will do it again. took me about 6 months before.
  • anitabrabazon
    anitabrabazon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to get to 119 lbs, then after that I think I may concentrate more on muscle building so won't be too conscious about my weight then - just the tape measure :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just a hair short of 5'3 lol. I am roughly 120lb and aiming for 115lb which is where my norm usually was. At one point I was 100lb from track/xc in college, I looked like I could fall through the crack in the floorboards lol. I really dont want to weigh that low ever again, I like some muscle on me.
  • MAS_QUILTS
    Options
    tHE aRMY RECRUITER CAN TELL YOU THE IDEAL WEIGHT FFFFOR YOUR HEIGHT. hAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT JOINING THE MILITARY?
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" . big boned as they say and I got down to 117 as my lowest. My middle and lower body looked great but my face and collarbones were skeletal like however my goal is 115 as I am 186 right now I am hoping with strength training I can even my muscle out all over my body and make it work. I am going to see how I look and feel at 125-130 and if I want to proceed further I will.