How long to wait before you got rid of your "fat" clothes

Options

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    "Just in case" is a crutch to fall back on to if you fail. if your plan is to fail, then keep your crutch. if your plan is to succeed, donate then ASAP. I think getting rid of them will actually help motivate you even more. Do you know the story of Hernán Cortés? If not, it's worth "Googling" because it's very apropos.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I tend to keep mine because I've been a yoyo dieter.

However, I'm hoping MFP will be helping me maintain my weight loss by tracking.

It's so easy to slide back into old habits once the weight is gone.

If this works for me, I'll get rid of the fat clothes.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    OMG this is a big issue for me.

Last night i was wearing a tube dress that i bought last summer. It kept falling off! It's in size S and apparently I'm extra small right now.

I just lost like 8 pounds so it's not a big difference but 80% of my old clothes don't fit me anymore.

Gonna spend all my money on clothes :(
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I got rid of all of mine as soon as I didn't fit into them. My thinking originally was to hold onto them, "just in case", but then I decided that was setting me up to go back to where I started and I am NOT going back there! EVER!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the "fail" concept. I keep my bigger jeans and t-shirts and wear them around the house (home clothes), or if I'm working on the house or something. They are great for painting projects too. It's nice to have an entire wardrobe that I can thrash and not waste my nicer newer clothes.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I didn't get rid of mine the first time around and when I gained some of that weight back, I wished I'd just gotten rid of them. I guess I was hoping for one big "goodbye" to that part of my life by giving them all away at once when I finally reached my ultimate weight loss goal. Second time around, don't want to hold on to the past anymore and am planning on donating them this Christmas season.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping mine to alter/do crafts with. They're far too cute to give away or throw away.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh, and PS about getting new ones on your way down... I've been hitting Goodwill to get a piece here and a piece there. I don't want to invest in a full wardrobe at any size yet, and spending $8.00 for a pair of jeans I will (hopefully) only be wearing a couple of months sure beats spending $80.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My situation is a little different. I usually only wear dresses/skirts and a lot of my dresses are not of a style most people would desire. So there isn't many folks who would want my things.

The best condition things I have a few friends online who dress similar, I may offer to them. But the bulk of my things I wouldn't feel good about offering because either I have worn them to death or I have them so customized to my body it isn't practical. I sew most of my clothing so I have my patterns tweaked to fit my body shape.

So my plan in to alter them where practical. Skirts are fairly easy to do especially. But at some point altering isn't practical either. I may just re-use the fabric for some other project. Dresses/pinafores for my little one or various household sewing projects. They won't go to waste so it doesn't bother me.

In the past I would always hang onto them "just in case", but I am not going to this time.

In fact I need to finally start doing this. Most of my skirts won't stay up on my at this point and I need some time at the sewing machine pretty badly. The skirt I have on now, a few months ago I couldn't wear AT ALL. Now there is so much room in it, it kinda looks silly. I am more annoyed that I had gotten rid of all of my smaller clothing as I could really use them now.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Out with the old & in with the new. It finally took having my "fat" clothes falling off my body to realize that I needed some new clothes. I gave away most of them to someone who is following me in this weight loss journey. I'm glad someone can use them because I don't want to go back to the XL's & plus sizes again. If I had kept any of them for "just in case" that would sabotage my work on my lifestyle change to a healthier me.
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a clothing swap on here? I wonder how that would work...
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I put mine up on Craigslist as soon as I can fit into the next size smaller. I don't want them sitting around...I might think it's okay to slack on my eating or exercise because I have some pants to fall back onto!

eww, who buys used clothes on craigslist!

The same frugal people who buy from Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Wash really well and your good to go. Obviously if it's stained or torn it's a no go, but otherwise used clothes are great!

I buy quality used clothes all the time, and also donate my own used clothing to our local thrift store, the proceeds of which go to fund the food pantry for the poor. I live in an affluent area (though I myself am FAR from affluent) and some of the used clothes that get donated are flat out gorgeous! Some even still have the tags on them!

Also, I don't keep the vast majority of the clothes that are too big for me. I do keep ONE pair of slightly larger jeans because, well, slip ups happen and nice to have ONE thing in reserve. It is motivating when things start to feel tight to think you'll have to buy a new wardrobe if you don't get back on track!
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ought to start a MFP clothing recycle center when you donate yours, someone who just dropped out of your size donates to you,,,etc etc etc,, the MFP circle of clothes LOL
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I donated them as soon as they became too big. I have zero intention of gaining any of my weight back so buh-bye fat clothes!
    this!!!
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    About a month ago, I donated 8 large bags of too big clothing to a charity that needed larger sized woman's clothing. I have since filled another bag (although I do still have one pair of size 26 pants).

Nothing feels better than opening my closet and knowing that everything in it fits, looks great, is comfortable and will be passed on in the future to someone who needs it.

I am buying new clothing a bit on the small side and that does not feel risky at all.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I donated to Goodwill as soon as it doesn't service me any longer, I kept one pair of pants and one shirt (on one hanger in the back) so I can put on when I get to my goal weight. I am over half way there. I only purchase new clothes as few as I can get away with as I won't be in that size for long. I am not keeping anything for a "just incase"
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As each item got bigger and I got smaller I packed them in bags and boxes and donated them to the Epilepsy Foundation. I also started buying clothes there - at first - just to make do until I reached my goal. Now I shop there all the time - I have found some wonderful (make that a Lot) of clothes, great name brands! You can't beat the prices and I figure I'm recycling at the same time. I made the decision when I started this journey never to go back and I feel keeping more than, say a couple of pair of jeans for those "I feel heavier today" times is just setting myself up for failure - too easy to keep slipping on the bigger stuff while denying that I'm gaining again!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them today! I give mine away as soon as they are too big to wear, that way I can't let myself go back to that size. I don't like to spend a lot on clothes, so I shop at consignment stores whenever possible. Just take a load in with you. Someone out there will be thrilled to get your clothes.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    As soon as they are loose, they're gone! I kept one pair of my biggest ever jeans just to have as a weird little trophy.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down a lot over the years (3 pregnancies) and I am definitely guilty of keeping my fat clothes for too long. I always doubt myself and feel like I'll be back there one day even though pregnancy is no longer possible. I *just* packed them up yesterday...for good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!