How long to wait before you got rid of your "fat" clothes

Options

Replies

• ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    as soon as theyre too baggy to wear and i get a size smaller replacement, i toss them out. it feels awesome throwing them out!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Got rid of mine ASAP this time around. I was able at first to take them in but after a while there was really no way for me to make a 28 look good as a 20.

Now that I am a 10 I still have some jeans that are 12's and 14's......I keep these for work. It's really cold at times in my area of the plant and have found my sweat pants fit quite nicely under them so I'm not freezing to death.

I kept one dress just as a trophy.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine as soon as I got down to the lower size. I filled up 3 big bags and donated them. Put them in those clothing boxes you see in parking lots. Soon I'll have another bag to drop off after I get out of these 10's but won't have nearly as many clothes this time. Just a few pairs of jeans. As tall as I am i doubt I'll be able to wear a size small top without looking like I have chimp arms lol
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My goal is to give away ALL my clothes as soon as I reach my 185 mark. Everything (except shoes) will go.

Every time I loose a pound I have been putting $30.oo in my savings account (not so difficult since I've stopped going out to bars, or out drinking with friends since I started my new WOE). When I reach my goal I will have lost 55 lbs, which means I will have almost $2,000 in my savings account destined towards this.

As soon as my scale reads 184.99 or under I will take a day off from work and my wife and I will go shopping for all new clothes. The rest go to the national equivalent of the salvation army. I will keep nothing that will allow me the "flexibility" of gaining any more than 5 lbs.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sadly I am too broke to buy new clothes so I have still been wearing alot of my "way too big" clothes. (The ones that literally fall off I donated.)

Last week, someone in another department at work came to me and asked me what size I wore because I was looking really good with all my weight loss :happy: but I was also looking somewhat "homeless" :embarassed: . She then said she had some clothes she thought might fit me.

So now I have a few new clothes and can get rid of some of my homeless attire. :laugh:
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Donate! Find a suitable home for them...since they are 14's and below you might even find someone on MFP that would be happy to have them....we are all heading down the same path..maybe ask around...put them in a box and ship them to a friend that is not half way around the world, and know you have done someone a favor :) then, perhaps they too, will pay it forward...we could start a great thing here because of you!!
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am going to get things tailored that I paid quite a bit for and still love and everything else I am going to give to my friends/family and donate whatever they don't want. This post made me laugh because I have bags of clothes that I need to get out of my house! They are actually driving me nuts.
  • skle1978
    Options
    Quite a few people, especially those that don't have a lot of money and need clothes cheap. I got a bunch of clothes when I went back to work this way because I needed career clothes and we didn't have any money. Just because they're used doesn't mean you can't wash them!
    I put mine up on Craigslist as soon as I can fit into the next size smaller. I don't want them sitting around...I might think it's okay to slack on my eating or exercise because I have some pants to fall back onto!

eww, who buys used clothes on craigslist!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I went from an English size 14 to a size 6. When I realised that life could be fun and shopping even more so I went out buying (cheap) clothes whenever I could. As the wardrobe got full, I threw out the big stuff and now I just love being slim, so never want to see fat clothes again.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of mine last week!! It felt so good! I had went clothes shopping earlier that day and was so happy with being able to buy smaller clothes and be happy with how I looked in them.. so I finally decided to tackle my closet and got rid of about half of what was in there.. I had been keeping all those clothes for "just in case" but f that, I'm not going back!
  • cjmcmillan
    cjmcmillan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just gave away all of mine...making room in the closet for cuter (and better fitting!) clothes. =)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I was a size 12-14 just a year ago now a 6-8 and I'm wondering if I should just donate those clothes. I was thinking that I would keep some of the better maker ones just in case - but I hate to even think that way! I'm not a pack rat and I don't want to keep them, but I'm am sorta cheap-stake - so I don't want to feel that I'm wasting money.

I was thinking of offer to family - sister's and close friends as an alternate - safety net sorta thing, but whom am kiddin.! So what have others done.

I have been maintaining my current weight for around 5 months, and I really have become comfortable with the "new" me, and am confident I can continue being this way.

Packed them all up and gave them all away !!!! I couldn't wait to get rid of them, I kept my biggest pair of pants and I kept like 3 shirts for painting or working out. I never plan on going back to the way I was keeping them would be doubting myself and I know I am going to keep losing and will never go bakc to the way I was.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    I've used seamstresses before. Helps keep the wardrobe costs down.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    Like many, I plan on keeping one pair of clothes for the photo value (other than the couple bridesmaids dresses and expensive stuff that can be taken in). The rest goes to clothing drives, and the business/casual wear goes to a charity for women who need that stuff specifically. :) Dropping off two totes full next week. :)
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I will remind you guys, if you live in the US, that if you give your items to charity, if you document everything, you can take them off your income taax without itemizing your return...I did that last year and got a $500 credit....I use the TURBO TAX online pkg...
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to get rid of some of my clothes because i had an emotional attachment to them. (and I didn't have a ton of money to spend on buying new clothes) But I finally decided that I didn't want them around to tempt me to go back. I kept some of my college tshirts to make a tshirt quilt and donated the rest of the stuff to The Salvation Army.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started my journey about 2 years ago...at 219 lbs...I am currently 35 lbs down....I decided that I would not buy new clothes TILL I WORE THEM OUT.....I have thrown out 3 pair of wore out (inner thighs ragged and torn) so far...I can remind myself, everday, of my commitment when I pull my waistband and see how far I've come....IT IS MY INCENTIVE....I do not know my current size, LOL...I can pull down my jeans without unbuttoning them, but they are not falling off, so it's still OK....I'm on my last pair of BLACK that I use for work....I still have 3 blue ones....maybe in March, when I have my next birthday, I will go shopping and treat myself...and finally learn my new size...maybe then, I will be down 50 lbs...I have, during this time, only had a few times where I went back up a few lbs, like during Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I kept checking my weight, and when it did the jumps, I just cut back a little, and it came back off....this has been a continoous downward loss for me...slowly, but that is the best way.....

I do think it important to buy smaller sizes when you are in transition - even if they are second hand because it is such a moral booster! Please treat yourself as 35 lbs is a huge accomplishment, I bet you are wearing pants that are three sizes too big, and they really aren't helping you look or feel as good as you can.
    Congrats with you success.
  • Robyn31h
    Options
    If you're not planning on fitting into them again....get rid of them!!!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I got rid of most of my fat clothes when they were clearly too big for me. Some were just a little bigger so I could spare having them around for a while. It worked out good. I got pregnant and had to buy very little maternity clothes. I just used my fat clothes!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If my clothes are still good I always let my mom and sis take a look before I get rid of them.

Definitely get rid of your fat clothes. If your current clothes get tight....LOOSE THE WEIGHT....don't even allow yourself another option because its certainly easier to just grab the old jeans than to get focused and put in the work. NO GOING BACK
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!