Going Vegetarian

Options
13»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My mind is boggled by both the post and all the comments. So many food lifestyle labels! Jesus..

He had the Jewish dietary laws to deal with.
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you eat chicken you aren't a vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat any meat. Vegan means you do not eat meat, or anything produced by animals or with animal product in it. Such as eggs, milk, yogurt. Ect.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    So many people already beat me to the punch, but WHY do people claim to be vegetarian when they still eat fish, chicken, etc?! So much rage.

Because it seems more and more that having a label as to what you eat is hip and cool. So now you have those who are not willing to actually stick to the lifestyles who are saying they are "vegetarian" or "gluten free" or whatever. Which means it hard for those who ARE vegetarian who who actually do need to be gluten free because it ends up confusing people as to what they mean.
  • alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My mind is boggled by both the post and all the comments. So many food lifestyle labels! Jesus..
    I believe he ate fish.

...and small loaves... Those carbs again... Was he Pescetarian then?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I believe he ate fish.

...and small loaves... Those carbs again... Was he Pescetarian then?

I'm sure he was a Flexitarian. There's just too much evidence.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i asked for help. not to be attacked about what is & what isn't a vegetarian. I thank those who actually gave me good advice.

i never stated that i was going to go vegan. i stated that IF I CHOSE to go vegan then my options were going to be limited.

My apologies if I didn't put the TYPE of vegetarian that i was goin to become. maybe eventually i will no longer eat chicken/fish. but until that time i'm a pollo-pesco vegetarian or pollo-vegetarian. whichever term you prefer.

and for the person/ppl that asked i'm cuttin out dairy b/c i'm becomin lactose intolerant.
  • GooBeGone
    Options
    There are different types of vegetarians in this world. Here is a list for those who are unfamiliar with the different terms:

1. Pescatarian (also spelled pescetarian)
    The word “pescatarian” is occasionally used to describe those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Although the word is not commonly used, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet.

2. Pollo-vegetarian
    A pollo-vegetarian diet is free of red meat (beef, pork, lamb, etc.) but includes poultry and might include fish. Most animal activists, vegans and vegetarians do not consider the pollo-vegetarian diet to be a type of vegetarian diet, and do not use the term because it is confusing

3. Flexitarian/Semi-vegetarian
    You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat.

4. Vegetarian (Lacto-ovo- vegetarian)
    When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians. People who do not eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products are lacto-ovo vegetarians (“lacto” comes from the Latin for milk, and “ovo” for egg).
    Lacto-vegetarian is used to describe a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, but does eat dairy products.

Ovo-vegetarian refers to people who do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.

5. Vegan
    Vegans do not eat meat of any kind and also do not eat eggs, dairy products, or processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin. Many vegans also refrain from eating foods that are made using animal products that may not contain animal products in the finished process, such as sugar and some wines. There is some debate as to whether certain foods, such as honey, fit into a vegan diet.

6. Raw vegan/Raw food diet
    A raw vegan diet consists of unprocessed vegan foods that have not been heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). “Raw foodists” believe that foods cooked above this temperature have lost a significant amount of their nutritional value and are harmful to the body.

7. Macrobiotic
    The macrobiotic diet, revered by some for its healthy and healing qualities, includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. Perhaps the most unique qualifier of the macrobiotic diet is its emphasis on the consumption of Asian vegetables, such as daikon, and sea vegetables, such as seaweed.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The first three are not types of vegetarian. If they were then I would also be a type of vegetarian. I eat vegetables but I also eat eggs and dairy and fish and chicken and beef and pork and lamb and venison and buffalo and turkey and duck and goose and hamhocks. What kind of vegetarian am I?

The best kind, that's what kind.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    i asked for help. not to be attacked about what is & what isn't a vegetarian. I thank those who actually gave me good advice.

i never stated that i was going to go vegan. i stated that IF I CHOSE to go vegan then my options were going to be limited.

My apologies if I didn't put the TYPE of vegetarian that i was goin to become. maybe eventually i will no longer eat chicken/fish. but until that time i'm a pollo-pesco vegetarian or pollo-vegetarian. whichever term you prefer.

and for the person/ppl that asked i'm cuttin out dairy b/c i'm becomin lactose intolerant.
    You were attacked. You were informed that if you eat the flesh of any animal you are not a vegetarian.
  • GooBeGone
    Options
    btw, i never stated that i was doin this to lose weight.

if you don't have anything more to say other than somethin along the lines of "if you eat meat then you're not a vegetarian" then don't bother postin.

others have already beat you to the punch on that durin this topic.

i asked for help about carb intake, nothin more nothin less.

this is the first time i've ever posted on MFP and felt harrassed and slightly mocked (not speakin of those who tried to add some humor to the postings).

this is why some ppl don't come back here, because it doesn't feel like a community when things like this happen. we're suppose to be a community, not a clique.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well i can tell you if you want to reduce carbs, going vegetarian is the wrong path. Look at a primal or paleo diet. Its similar to what you are eating now and it can help eliminate some carbs.
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    /facepalm
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I found out that when I restrict my carb intake (such as doing atkins) i actually lose a lot of fat.

You may not have "stated" it in your original post, but you sure implied it. What's your point?

There are different types of vegetarians in this world. Here is a list for those who are unfamiliar with the different terms:

Didn't sound to me like anyone else here was unfamiliar with those terms...

But seriously, if you're wanting to eat animal products, eat more veggies, and cut carbs, paleo/primal would be a much better fit for you than any of the vegetarian and pseudo-vegetarian options. Without grains and dairy, paleo/primal folks easily maintain a fairly low-carb way of eating with plenty of veggies and fruit (more than some vegetarians!) along with the meat/fish/fowl.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

if you don't have anything more to say other than somethin along the lines of "if you eat meat then you're not a vegetarian" then don't bother postin.

others have already beat you to the punch on that durin this topic.

i asked for help about carb intake, nothin more nothin less.

this is the first time i've ever posted on MFP and felt harrassed and slightly mocked (not speakin of those who tried to add some humor to the postings).

this is why some ppl don't come back here, because it doesn't feel like a community when things like this happen. we're suppose to be a community, not a clique.

You did say you were going to be vegetarian so you didn't just ask about carbs.

You have 400 and something posts, this is not your first time to post here.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

1. Pescatarian (also spelled pescetarian)
    The word “pescatarian” is occasionally used to describe those who abstain from eating all meat and animal flesh with the exception of fish. Although the word is not commonly used, more and more people are adopting this kind of diet, usually for health reasons or as a stepping stone to a fully vegetarian diet.

2. Pollo-vegetarian
    A pollo-vegetarian diet is free of red meat (beef, pork, lamb, etc.) but includes poultry and might include fish. Most animal activists, vegans and vegetarians do not consider the pollo-vegetarian diet to be a type of vegetarian diet, and do not use the term because it is confusing

3. Flexitarian/Semi-vegetarian
    You don’t have to be vegetarian to love vegetarian food! “Flexitarian” is a term recently coined to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat.

4. Vegetarian (Lacto-ovo- vegetarian)
    When most people think of vegetarians, they think of lacto-ovo-vegetarians. People who do not eat beef, pork, poultry, fish, shellfish or animal flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products are lacto-ovo vegetarians (“lacto” comes from the Latin for milk, and “ovo” for egg).
    Lacto-vegetarian is used to describe a vegetarian who does not eat eggs, but does eat dairy products.

Ovo-vegetarian refers to people who do not eat meat or dairy products but do eat eggs.

5. Vegan
    Vegans do not eat meat of any kind and also do not eat eggs, dairy products, or processed foods containing these or other animal-derived ingredients such as gelatin. Many vegans also refrain from eating foods that are made using animal products that may not contain animal products in the finished process, such as sugar and some wines. There is some debate as to whether certain foods, such as honey, fit into a vegan diet.

6. Raw vegan/Raw food diet
    A raw vegan diet consists of unprocessed vegan foods that have not been heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). “Raw foodists” believe that foods cooked above this temperature have lost a significant amount of their nutritional value and are harmful to the body.

7. Macrobiotic
    The macrobiotic diet, revered by some for its healthy and healing qualities, includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and allows the occasional consumption of fish. Sugar and refined oils are avoided. Perhaps the most unique qualifier of the macrobiotic diet is its emphasis on the consumption of Asian vegetables, such as daikon, and sea vegetables, such as seaweed.

Glad you finally educated yourself, even if it was google copy-paste.
  • blondiejess1982
    Options
    I dont think anyone meant any harm, as a vegetarian for 22 years (since I was 8!) it does get annoying when people claim to be veggie when they eat chicken and fish..very annoying actually.....

You cant eat some jelly, jelly sweets, even muller yogurts as they have gelatine in them.
  • GooBeGone
    Options
    i stated this is the first time i've posted on mfp and felt harrassed about it. not the first time i've posted. my apologies if you didn't understand that sentence.

i didn't imply vegan. i actually typed the words "if i chose". re-read the original post.

i'm not doin this in order to restrict carbs. i was askin about limiting carb intake. i already know that veggies have carbs since most foods do.

and i don't google search. i actually have vegetarian books although there are back home and not here in afghanistan.

thought this was a community of ppl that helped ppl. not of ppl needing to give their 1 cent to whomever else is wanting to join the harrassment party.

i only wanted advice to my question. if you don't post that or any support to the topic or to myself, then refrain from posting.

i neither need nor want your negativity. if you've posted your 1 cent on here without advice to my actual question, maybe you should think about the negativity that you have making you feel that you need to post on this topic.

if you don't have any postive support then please restrain yourself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone meant any harm, as a vegetarian for 22 years (since I was 8!) it does get annoying when people claim to be veggie when they eat chicken and fish..very annoying actually.....

You cant eat some jelly, jelly sweets, even muller yogurts as they have gelatine in them.
    This. Exactly this.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

This. Exactly this.

THIS
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am a flexavegan myself...I tend to eat vegan most days and then sometimes I have horrible processed meat-food like Popeye's chicken or Stuft Veggie pizza. If our meat while animals could run free on a farm, I would be more inclined to eat them more often. But as it stands, that's mostly not the case in America. I also have high blood pressure and it is now come down to normal after my eating habits improved. I watch my salt intake and I eat a ton of veggies. It is a pretty personal thing for me. I don't make my boyfriend or his daughter join me (but I do harp on them to eat more veggies and fruits).

It's truly sad how emotive the word "vegetarian" or "vegan" are on here. It's like putting "Gay marriage" or "Abortion" into a thread or "Why I worship Jesus and your god is wrong". That might get 10 pages but a thread "Why I think eating vegan is right and eating meat is wrong" would get 22 pages and many cat fights.

I wish you the best on what you are doing. You have already lost a lot of weight and probably getting a better workout than many people on MFP out there.

And THANK YOU for your service. Praying for our troops. +
This discussion has been closed.