1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Replies

• rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Yeah, but see, here's the thing. MFP put me at a calorie limit of 1290. So why does it do that when 1200 calories is apparently not enough to get by on?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Yeah, but see, here's the thing. MFP put me at a calorie limit of 1290. So why does it do that when 1200 calories is apparently not enough to get by on?

Probably because you've set your activity level to that of a pebble. Eg not doing anything.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the "I have a problem..." threads are started by those with a 1200 calorie daily limit? Especially the "I can't stop snacking" and "I'm so hungry!" threads.

Coincidence? Something to consider if you're currently struggling at 1200 calories?

Or am I just imagining this?

This is still going? Seriously people. Seriously.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    1200 calories may WORK for people, but that doesn't mean it's not difficult and frustrating for a lot of people.
    1200 is low. It's hard to get used to. There are a lot of things that won't fit into that diet if you don't want to go hungry all day.

this
    and
    i've just started 1200 for 2 weeks. yes i am hungry....just as hungry as when i was on 1600.
    i snack too much unhealthy foods, especially after dinner. i think for me its more about changing my bad habits and relationship with food.
  • Matt_Wild
    Put it this way... my other half is just over 5'. She is 54-55kg atm. She is dieting and losing weight on 1600 calories a day. She has a sick six pack, ab veins and clear defined obliques. Why drop lower when you do not need to and actually LOSE lean body mass making easier to pack on FAT.

abzilla.jpg
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Put it this way... my other half is just over 5'. She is 54-55kg atm. She is dieting and losing weight on 1600 calories a day. She has a sick six pack, ab veins and clear defined obliques. Why drop lower when you do not need to and actually LOSE lean body mass making easier to pack on FAT.

I think it is the "more is better" philosophy. As in "the more of a deficit then the more faster I will lose weight"

people dont seem to be concerned about losing muscle mass or overall health. they want to lose weight and lose it as fast as they can.

comes down to not being educated about what they are doing to their bodies for the long term.
  • Matt_Wild

I think it is the "more is better" philosophy. As in "the more of a deficit then the more faster I will lose weight"

people dont seem to be concerned about losing muscle mass or overall health. they want to lose weight and lose it as fast as they can.

comes down to not being educated about what they are doing to their bodies for the long term.

And then arguing with those who try to help telling them they are wrong. Shame because its not hard.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    1200 calories is quite low for most folks. It the amount of allotted in the Jenny Craig & Nutri System Plans that enables folks to get weight off quickly. I think calories is something each of us has to determine for ourselves. I lost 30 pounds at 1700 a day including exercise. To maintain I have used multiple calorie calculators and they all differ. MFP has me at 1200, Insanity has it at 1500, Livestrong at 1700. So I just keep it in the range, exercise and use the scale to help determine my calorie counts.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    THE BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT.

IT was six men of Indostan
    To learning much inclined,
    Who went to see the Elephant
    (Though all of them were blind),
    That each by observation
    Might satisfy his mind.

ii.

The First approached the Elephant,
    And happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    At once began to bawl:
    "God bless me!—but the Elephant
    Is very like a wall!"

iii.

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
    Cried:"Ho!—what have we here
    So very round and smooth and sharp?
    To me 't is mighty clear
    This wonder of an Elephant
    Is very like a spear!"

iv.

The Third approached the animal,
    And happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    Thus boldly up and spake:

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
    Is very like a snake!"

v.

The Fourth reached out his eager hand,
    And felt about the knee.
    "What most this wondrous beast is like
    Is mighty plain," quoth he;
    "'T is clear enough the Elephant
    Is very like a tree!"

vi.

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
    Said: "E'en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    Deny the fact who can,
    This marvel of an Elephant
    Is very like a fan!"

vii.

The Sixth no sooner had begun
    About the beast to grope,
    Than, seizing on the swinging tail
    That fell within his scope,
    "I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
    Is very like a rope!"

viii.

And so these men of Indostan
    Disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    Exceeding stiff and strong,
    Though each was partly in the right,
    And all were in the wrong!

moral.

So, oft in theologic wars
    The disputants, I ween,
    Rail on in utter ignorance
    Of what each other mean,
    And prate about an Elephant
    Not one of them has seen
  • I am having a hard time keeping the goals for carbs/sugar/protien ratios with the goal amounts. I can't seem to find a combo that does not exceed one or all of the goal amounts and eat 1200 calories. I can't tell if my progress is slow because I am getting more protien and sugar than I should. To stay with in my c/p/s goals they provide I don't reach 1200 calories and the system reads that I am not consuming enough calories. Any suggestions.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    The bottom line is that you have to figure out your BMR and TDEE and work from there to figure out the correct range for YOUR body.

Recently I saw a 27 yr old women, 5'10", 300 pounds. Her BMR is 1800. She works out regularly and has a job where she is on her feet all day. Her TDEE is between 2500 and 3200. She can eat between 1500 and 2200 per day to lose 2 pounds a week. For her, 1200 cals would be ridiculous.

I am 49, 5'6" and at my current weight of 201, my BF% is still around 48%. My BMR is 1370. I don't work outside the home, am partially disabled so I can't workout a lot and lift heavy weights, but I can ride my recumbent bike a few days a week and am getting stronger every week. My maintenance level without added exercise is around 1700. 1200 gives me 1 pound a week loss. I average another 200 calories burned a day with exercise. This gives me another half pound loss per week, as I don't need to eat them back.
    I have yet to 'plateau' and will hit 100 days on Tuesday. I have lost 27 pounds as of this morning. I eat very healthy, and as long as I continue eating that way, I don't get hungry or fatigued. My muscles are stronger now than they were 3 months ago. Previously I maintained my weight eating around 1700 per day. A 500 calorie deficit from that number is not that big of a deal.

Did you all READ the post from the lady who lost 150 pounds already? Her story is not unique.

It is all relative. But for some reason many people just freak out when they see the dreaded 1200 number.

Do what works for you and don't worry about everyone else. Really. It is that simple.
  • DebbieLyn63
    I am having a hard time keeping the goals for carbs/sugar/protien ratios with the goal amounts. I can't seem to find a combo that does not exceed one or all of the goal amounts and eat 1200 calories. I can't tell if my progress is slow because I am getting more protien and sugar than I should. To stay with in my c/p/s goals they provide I don't reach 1200 calories and the system reads that I am not consuming enough calories. Any suggestions.

You can manually change your macros in your goal settings. Most people agree the 15% protein level is too low. A good starting point is 40Carb/30Fat/30Pro. Try that and adjust it later as you need to. I started with those percentages and have worked my way to 25Carb/30Pro/45Fat, which is working well for me. BTW, my fat level is so high because I eat a lot of nuts, seeds, avocados, and eggs. Cutting out most processed sugars and simple white carbs helps keep my weight loss steady without hunger or cravings.
  • DebbieLyn63

Upping calories manually, I finally stopped losing at around 2450kcal, + exercise. So, on 1200, I was eating half my TDEE.

So does 1200kcal = more problems? For me in the long term it did.

Is 1200kcal wrong for everyone? Probably not. Is it a coincidence that so many hunger complaints come from those on 1200? No, because the majority of newbies are on 1200kcal and have yet to tweak their figures in any way, so are in more need of advice.

I didn't end up eating 2000+kcal because I believed 1200 was wrong, but because experience showed me that it was very wrong for me. If someone posts that they are hungry on 1200kcal, I will tell them to eat more. I try to surround myself with as many 'big eaters' as possible, so I feel less alone. I do tell my story, but I try not to assume that what's right for me is right for everyone.

Thank you for that extremely respectful and honest post. It would be so much more helpful if we all had this attitude.
    I find it very strange however that your BMR actually went UP after you lost weight at 1200 calories. Even tho it caused problems with anemia for you, it is nice to see that you didn't plateau quickly and your metabolism drop to nothing. And you very wisely figured out what did and didn't work for you. Congrats on your success.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the "I have a problem..." threads are started by those with a 1200 calorie daily limit? Especially the "I can't stop snacking" and "I'm so hungry!" threads.

Coincidence? Something to consider if you're currently struggling at 1200 calories?

Or am I just imagining this?

This is still going? Seriously people. Seriously.

Yeah, I'm surprised too. Apparently, people still want to discuss the topic.

Sorry you don't approve.
  • magrissssima
    magrissssima Posts: 3 Member
    I eat under 1200 and I am losing slowly. Oh yeah, Im not obese, so I have to eat under 1200.

If you eat carbs and **** and tonnes of fat then it is easy to go over 1200. If you eat vegetables and meat then 1200 is a lot.
  • Matt_Wild
    I eat under 1200 and I am losing slowly. Oh yeah, Im not obese, so I have to eat under 1200.

If you eat carbs and **** and tonnes of fat then it is easy to go over 1200. If you eat vegetables and meat then 1200 is a lot.

You don't need to eat 1200. Its just as likely you'll lose as much at 1600 odd.
  • magrissssima
    magrissssima Posts: 3 Member

You don't need to eat 1200. Its just as likely you'll lose as much at 1600 odd.

I gain with anything over 1500 usually.
  • xmizlynnax
    xmizlynnax Posts: 29 Member
    everyone should just do what's best and healthy for their body .... 1200 works for some and not for others. we're not here to judge.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    . we're not here to judge.

that memo seems to have missed many of us here
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    . we're not here to judge.

that memo seems to have missed many of us here

This post was primarily for those who had tried 1200 and didn't find the success they wanted from it. I don't think the memo covers this.